ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Refub (step by step guide with photos)

Well then guys and girls.... I finally got around to refurbishing my alloy wheels, they were standard silver and I refurbished them to gloss black.

List of items you will need:

Primer (I bought 5 large cans, however, because they were going from silver to black, the inside had to be done so I found out I needed alot more than I would if I was just doing the front of the wheel)

Colour of your choice (gloss black in my case, again I about 5 large cans)

Lacquer (2 large cans)

Sandpaper (ranging from 120 (quite coarse) to 1500 (fine for getting glass like finish)

Metal Filler (if you have large chunks out of the wheels, however in this case I didnt so none was needed)

...................................................................................................

First thing I did was to get the wheels of the car and my car was left up on axle stands for a few days:

photo5.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my wheels, werent too bad just minor scuffs in places and bits of flaking:

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

I would reccomend getting the tyres taken off the wheels when refurbishing it is 100% easier

The wheels were firstly thoroughly washed and cleaned with de greaser to remove any grease or grime on them, I then went about sanding the inside and the outside down with 120 + 240 grit sandpaper as the lacquer and paint was quite tough to take off, after this is done they will feel rough, then gradually go to say a 400 paper so they are smoother and eventually to a 1200 grit sandpaper and they should feel like glass. I cant stress how important the original sanding is, this willl take many hours but its crucial if you want a good finish at the end, I used wet and dry sandpaper and when I was happy that every nook and cranny was smooth I washed them down and let them dry so that there was no dust on them:

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo6.jpg

I got a large piece of wood and put a few nails in it just to rest the wheel on when spraying. The spraying was done in my garage which was quite warm, however make sure there are windows open and plenty of air for ventilation, but you dont want big gusts of air that will blow dust all over your sprayed wheels

photo9.jpg

Next step was to start priming the wheels... make sure you thoroughly shake up your spray cans, then on the whole priming stage I did about 6 good coats of primer, leaving about 15 - 30 minutes in between each coat, try not to do coats that are too thick:

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

I reccomend leaving this to dry thoroughly preferably over night... then the next morning I used 1500 wet and dry sandpaper on the wheels so that they felt like glass, you dont have to sand it too hard but just so everything feels like glass, again then wash the wheels and let them thoroughly dry.

Then is time to start the colour of your choice, in this case mine was gloss black, I did about 5 or 6 coats of top coat, I did 2 or 3 leaving about 15 minutes in between each coat, then left it a few hours and came back and did another 2 or 3 coats.

Leave them dry overnight at this stage before doing anything else:

photo14.jpg

photo13.jpg

Right... at this stage, some people do actually use 1500 or 2000 wet and dry to sand down before lacquering, if they feel rough then I advise to do that but only lightly and leave to dry completely. After I had sprayed mine they were still feeling smooth so I felt this not necessary.

Next stage is to lacquer, I did 3 coats of lacquer on the wheels, leaving about 15 - 30 minutes in between coats. This I found to be the hardest stage, when lacquering if you put too much on its very easy to create runs in the lacquer, but at the same time, if its too thin then you can get splatter effects, so just take extra care when doing this stage:

A photo of the completed wheels and also on the car:

photo15.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo18.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo20.jpg

I hope this guide helps you guys, im not a pro at writing guides but hopefully this gives people a few useful pointers :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Superb job, i miss doing refurbs! I used to have a small business in doing it!

Black Gold Trophy
good effort, use 2k lacquer for a nice durable finish as halfrauds lacquer is sh*te!

If you want a really good finish but money is tight, do everything yourself then let a bodyshop lacquer them!

BG 182 FF
great result is that the first time you have re-furbed wheels? Looks a lot better in the black too :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Did you rub down to the primer?

or just took the shine from the paint/lacqer?

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Good job! i did mine this way too. Just dont go anywhere on gravel or let a mechanic take your wheels off with a wheel gun and take all your paint off :mad:

Rubbed down not completely to the primer but just to take the colour and lacquer off

My uncle owns a garage so he took tyres off me and balanced etc for free :)

Skoda fabia Vrs
looks good mate! Well done..

I do think your car needs a little spoiler though...:approve: my opinion

Steve

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Looks like my old one! Fair do's i refurbed two of mine. That was enough for me, in the end i got them powder coated black for £180! Major hassle

non sport
nice, mid process mine at the mo so its always handy to see how someone else is doing

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think they have come out very well and I'd be proud of them.

Good that you got the tyres removed and refitted free too.

always feel proud after a wheel refurb, takes so fecking long though

Exactly mate, I was going to get them done by a company, but did a set before and the satisfaction that I did them myself felt great!

So as I was off work all week last week I thought ill do it myself :)

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
They look brilliant! You should be proud of them matey

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Great read this, I'm thinking of refurbing and spraying my standard ones to use as winter tyres. How much did it cost you to get all the materials ect?