ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel size question

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

15" with 195/50 tyres

or

16" with 205/45 tyres

15" - one of the wheels has been kerbed but otherwise fine

16" - one of the wheels is missing the centre piece, and the wheels have black patches on them, otherwise fine

My car has the 15s and the car I think Ill buy has the 16s. Do I do a wheel swap or just leave them be and get the dealer to fix up the 16s

Hmm, the tyres sizes are a bit different (Rolling diameter)

195/50R15 = 577mm

205/45/R16 = 590mm

Not a huge difference but it will mean you are going faster than your speedo reading. on UK Mk2 172s are 195/45/R16 giving a 582mm rolling diameter.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I didnt really look at the tyres on the 16" but they were in almost new condition

the tyres on my current 15" are Pirelli P5000

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

on the 15" I have Pirelli P5000

dont know whats on the 16" but I think they might be toyos

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Doubt theyll fit different tyres to the car.

Im trying to think of a plan to swap my current wheels onto the new car but that might prove difficult with me trading in to a different dealer to whom Im buying from (on opposite sides of the city too)

What sorts of performance / handling / ride differences would there be between the 2 wheel/tyre combos?

Mate, Id get them to sort the alloys for ya, then tell them to swap the tyres to a standard size (195/45R16), and if they get shirty with you tell them that as this deviates from Renaults spec for the 172 Mk2 THEY would be invalidating your warranty if they sold you the car in that state (Obviously if they did challenge your warranty you would give them hell as we all should) but use their rules against them when you can!

What I want to know is why are 195 50 15s cheaper than 185 55 15s????? I mean I was going to go wider and found out they are cheaper anyway

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Roamer, this is a mk1 172 so the standard size is 195/50R15.

The car is being bought from a Honda Dealership second hand as they got it. I phoned Renault today and they told me the car still has the 3yr warrenty provided it hasnt been in an accident which will be verified tomorrow when the AA check is done. The debate as to whether its been in a crash comes in because smileysport also looked at the car a few months ago and walked away because he spotted repairwork and respraying to the rear of the vehicle. I didnt spot this and when I approached the dealer they told me that the only work done on the car that they were aware of was a front bumper respray because of stonechip damage.

Since when does fitting different wheels invalidate the warrenty.

I was just asking whether you guys would keep the 16" 205/45s on the car or go for the original wheel size of 15" 195/50.

I was asking because although the 16s fill the arches better Ive heard the drive is worsened

I wasnt meaning that it would actually invalidate your warranty, just that you could play the same line that some dealers play, basically anything deviating from the standard voids warranty - which is crap really.

Personally if you dont mind your speedo being out a bit, Id go for the 16s, but sometime in the future you may wana get back down to 195/45R16 to drop the sidewall height slightly, though its no biggy.