ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Spacers

Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
I have a my clio on coilovers, and dont have standard 1.2 alloys i have the sport alloys, not the turini ones, i cant lower it as much as i want as the inside of the wheel is rubbing on the bit that you twist down to lower it if i go to far down. I was just wondering what size spacers would look good and do the job? (sorry if i sound like a idiot but dont know much about spacers)

Basic but:

If you have the wheel/tire setup you want to space out
This requires that the tires be mounted on the wheels and the wheels be mounted on the car. First level the car side to side. This can be easily accomplished by just measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender. Theorectically the car should be even side to side, but they usually aren't. Just jack up the low side in small increments until the measurements on both sides are equal.

Now get a plumb bob (you don't need anything fancier than a string with a nut or washer tied on the end.
Tape the plumb bob to the centerline point of the fender/arch (make good tape choices), wait until it stops swinging, then simply measure from the outer edge of the tire sidewall to the string. Convert this measurement to Millimeters and this is the size spacer you need for the tire to be flush with the fender. If you want to poke or tuck, add or subtract to get the desired width.

There is of course only so far you can go before your tyres will rub, then i guess you either look into smaller wheels or you camber them out - though i am pretty sure you'll go through much more tyres like this. each to their own.

Are your wheels 15"/16"? I have mine on coilovers and 15" wheels and it's down a good bit and doesn't rub. I would resist the urge to go as low as you can, as remember if you've a car-full of people, the car will sit lower still, etc. etc.

www.willtheyfit.com will show what tyres and wheel measurements you can use.

hope this was of some help to you.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Basic but:

If you have the wheel/tire setup you want to space out
This requires that the tires be mounted on the wheels and the wheels be mounted on the car. First level the car side to side. This can be easily accomplished by just measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender. Theorectically the car should be even side to side, but they usually aren't. Just jack up the low side in small increments until the measurements on both sides are equal.

Now get a plumb bob (you don't need anything fancier than a string with a nut or washer tied on the end.
Tape the plumb bob to the centerline point of the fender/arch (make good tape choices), wait until it stops swinging, then simply measure from the outer edge of the tire sidewall to the string. Convert this measurement to Millimeters and this is the size spacer you need for the tire to be flush with the fender. If you want to poke or tuck, add or subtract to get the desired width.

There is of course only so far you can go before your tyres will rub, then i guess you either look into smaller wheels or you camber them out - though i am pretty sure you'll go through much more tyres like this. each to their own.

Are your wheels 15"/16"? I have mine on coilovers and 15" wheels and it's down a good bit and doesn't rub. I would resist the urge to go as low as you can, as remember if you've a car-full of people, the car will sit lower still, etc. etc.

www.willtheyfit.com will show what tyres and wheel measurements you can use.

hope this was of some help to you.

That seems overly complicated to me!
I just measured the space from the top of the wheel to the arch.
That was just to fill the arches not to stop rubbing though!
A bit of camber wont affect wear much at all only if you go silly with it!
TBH from the sounds of it if its only rubbing on the coilover you wont need much 10mm at most probably.
You cant get hubcentric spacers in that size which IMHO is the only type id go for due to safety / wheel wobble etc!
So you may want to go slightly larger to get hubcentric i think the smallest are eithe r13 or 16mm each side from memory.
The spacers will put a little extra strain on your wheel bearings but i never had any trouble after 3+ years
Oh i'd also go for light weight alloy ones due to the unsprung weight NOT Delta Mics!

Hope that helps!