ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheels bearing

im not sure if i need a wheel bearing for the front but how much does it cost to have it done. its going on the front!!!!

i get a droning mind of noise from the front drivers side that get louder as i get faster and im sure its louder turing right too. ill be doing a new set of pads first as ive been having probs with my pads and disks as i thought its was this

wongy

Renault Laguna Coupe

Had the front bearings done on my 1.9D a few years ago - symptoms were exactly as you descibe plus asort of grumbling sound when cornering. Cost £200 at a Renault dealer - make sure you get them to replace both as (for some incalculable reason) the labour isnt much more for both sides than for just one. Then again you could get an independant garage to do it probably for half the cost....

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Wongy

Just had my drivers side bearing replaced. Made the same noise as your explaining.

It cost a whopping £49 from Renault and you have to fit a renault one cos all others are sh*t.

I am still waiting for a bill from my mechanic for the price of labour so when i get it i will tell ya. Probabily about 35/40 quid.

You cant really change the bearing yourself without high pressure equipment.

Hope that helps mate

Wongy,

I recently changed both front bearings on my RT, took a couple of hours cos they were well worn. £40 for both bearings and fitting them is a piece of piss mate, have you had them fitted already mate, if you need some advice post back mate, (the haynes book of lies is actually quite good on refitting bearings)

hope thats OK

pete

When you turn right and you hear a grinding noise itll mean that youll have to do the left wheel bearing, but on doing this youll probably be able to hear the right side wheel bearing so its probably worth changing them both.

pete

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Had one front bearing replaced cost me £75, now looks like the other side needs doing.

I had to replace ALL FOUR bearings on my old RT after i got stuck in a ford...long story!

Anyhow they were about 25 quid each, piece of piss to fit - and were all fine for the next 15k when i sold the car!!

Dont know what some of you appear to have been told but theres been some extortionate figures flying around on this thread!!

Well, id been having a drink at a leaving party for someone i was seeing - she was off to Amsterdam the next morning! And i had just had my stereo install put in!
So making our excuses we snuck out "to demonstrate the stereo"!
Drove to a nearby forest to a nice secluded area - and saw a ford! Now id been through this ford a few times before so thought to myself, that would be a trophy location for it!!

However! The depth indicator had been smashed, and it had been raining heavily that weekend...and i knew i was in trouble when flooring it in the water level rose above the bonnet and half way up the windscreen!!!

"OH FNCK!!"

We came to an immediate halt and the engine went dead! water started coming in at the bottom of the doors and in a couple of minutes there was 6 inches of water in the footwell!! I got as much safe as i could - CDs onto parcell shelf etc! And i was now fearing for the safety of my new install cos it sure aint waterproof!!

It would have been a bad idea to open the door - so i went for a commando stylee escape through the window!! I then waded (up to my thighs!) to the passenger side where i heroically carried my damsel in distress to safety!!

Part 2 continues......

...Our troubles though were far from over!! Foolishly we had both left our mobiles in our jackets...at the pub with our friends!!

So annoying! Our only option then was to walk cold and with me drenched - to the nearest civilisation!! ...about a mile away!!!

By the time we reached the nearest house it was about 10:45 and i felt really bad knocking on this house cos there were little signs of life! Thankfully we hadnt woken anyone up and they welcomed us inside, dried me out, and sorted us out with some hot tea! They let us call my parents - sooooo embarrasing!! To whom i had to explain everything!
They turned up about half an hour later and towed my clio free from the ford - which on reflection rivalled lake michigan in terms of water mass!! We dropped off the missus back home and i got home about 1:30am with a soaking clio smelling of fish and rats piss!!

The morning after the flight to amsterdam was caught and my clio was in a terrible state!

I litterally spent the day bailing buckets of water out and hoovering and cleaning and all sorts!! It was a proper mission!

But with my clio cleaned up - it started first time!!! I was as shocked and amazed as i was pleased!! I promptly drove to the house that have taken pity on us the night before and gave them some flowers wine and choccies as a token of my appreciation! I dont know what wed have done if they hadnt helped us!!

Then went to the missuss parents to apoligise!

Then went home and fell asleep next to the fire for 14 hours!!

cool ok guys looks like it wont be as bad as i first thought. anyhow cheers for the response guys but ill just give the car to hill power and tell them to sort it out so i get a car ready for so turbo chasing!!!

ios there a diff between rt and 16v wheels bearing!!

wongy

Moral of the story!?! Hell take your pick!!

- Dont drive into a ford without a depth measuring sign!
- Shag in a bed!
- Always have your mobile handy!
- Drive a James Bond stylee car/sub combo!

The list is endless!!

Worse thing was having to put up with the caining for the next 6 months!! And from my own family too!!

Yes i did get brought arm bands for xmas!! Yes i did get brought a window smashy hammer thing for if your car sinks!

On reflection though it was all good fun! An experience to say the least!

silver valver/hybrid

i had a weird thing on my 16v when one of the bearings, was worn, i ordered a non ABS bearing from a friend,as my car does not have it, but when the mechanic tried to put it on he said it didnt fit, and i had to take it back and get an ABS one. That one fitted perfectly. Definately no ABS on my car though because i have locked up the wheels a few times!