ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When did you get your first RS and what age?

BG FF182
Got mine at 27. With how people afford them I guess it's all down to what you want to or have to spend your pennies on. Could have bought one earlier, but would have had to have given up my car racing or holidays, you take's your choice and spend your money!!

TTRS & V50
^^ Agreed Boosh.

I could get a 200 on finance tomorrow and still be at Uni. But I'd rather spend that money on narcotics. How is clio ownership expensive. I haven't spent a penny on my car since my renewal back in June, only petrol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see whats hard to understand tbh. They aren't prestige super cars, and on the grand scheme of things aren't expensive to run or maintain.

I think they are expensive to maintain :rasp:

But tbh, still not costing me as much to run as my old 1.2 clio did!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see whats hard to understand tbh. They aren't prestige super cars, and on the grand scheme of things aren't expensive to run or maintain.

At the age of less than 21, when the capital cost is at least 5k, the insurance is at least 1k and you're in Uni or school earning less than £400 I think it's pretty tricky. Unless your parents are buying all this, or you've had a very privaledged life style, I find it hard to understand why you can't see this point. When you were in Uni, with all associated outgoings, how or where did you find the required £6k to buy and insure a 182? Unless my mum gave me that required £6k I have no idea where I'd find that money at 19/20.

TTRS & V50
At 21 your bound to have a car before that, so that would contribute to a lot of the 6k your looking for. As for insurance, i tend to save up from the year before premium, only 100 a month lets say. So now we are only looking for say 2k. Loan from bank or mummy and daddy can sort that. This is not how i did things but just a quick example.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, but all you're doing with that scenario is shifting back the time when you recieved the cash. If you've already got a car before the trade up, where did you get that money from.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
At the age of less than 21, when the capital cost is at least 5k, the insurance is at least 1k and you're in Uni or school earning less than £400 I think it's pretty tricky. Unless your parents are buying all this, or you've had a very privaledged life style, I find it hard to understand why you can't see this point. When you were in Uni, with all associated outgoings, how or where did you find the required £6k to buy and insure a 182? Unless my mum gave me that required £6k I have no idea where I'd find that money at 19/20.

Ok, not that I feel I have to rise to this but for arguments sake I will give you a break down of my personal scenario so you can see how I afforded it.

Job at the time: Home Office part time while at college, which brought in £700 a month (I worked 5pm while 10pm every day).

So thats £700 a month with no out goings (hardly). I rarely went out or bought many new clothes.

In conjunction with this job I also had a job at Debenhams pouring coffee's for old biddys which brought in £200 a month, but that was only for 8 hours on the weekend. As too jobs was getting too much on top of uni work I quit this.

Any who, saved up for just over a year. I then started uni and ticked max on the loan boxes (after all - cheapest loan you're going to get right?). Used this to pay for my first years insurance which was £1800 fully comp (bearing in mind the best quote at the time I could get for my 1.2 was £1500, it seemed to me a no brainer to upgrade). No mummys or daddys involved.

So there you are :p

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think that's a good effort to have two jobs at that age pulling in £900 a month and be in uni. At that age that can't be too far off what I'd call a full time salary tbh. I just didn't think people could earn that much and be in Uni. That's a great effort.

32, had my 182 just over a month.

I can understand the youngsters affording it no problem (Bank of Mum and Dad FTW!) it's the university students that bewilder me! I worked 2 jobs while I was a student and still struggled with money. I bought a 1.6l Ford Sierra for £1000 when I started uni and it lasted me the 4 years I spent there.

I probably have a slightly different mindset than many on here though - My car is not a major part of my regular expenditure. I never get close to using up all my disposable income on it and certainly have never stretched myself in anyway financially. Though last month was a bit tighter than usual... I had an overdraught on standby just in case some inforseen expense came up!

172 Cup
I got my first RS at 18. Be it a mk3 fiesta, but still when your mates have nova sheds and ax 1.0's it was mega cool! I got my first 172 just before i was 20, now im 25! Going to be a big boy and go for the R26 R next year :)

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Man i got mine when i was 17, 1,500 to insure it now 19 and paying 2k due to interest for doing it pay monthly. But i do have 2 jobs. Was gona sell it and get something cheaper but for a vtr its 1700 a month :/ not much difference when there is a huge difference in cars.

Ok, not that I feel I have to rise to this but for arguments sake I will give you a break down of my personal scenario so you can see how I afforded it.

Job at the time: Home Office part time while at college, which brought in £700 a month (I worked 5pm while 10pm every day).

So thats £700 a month with no out goings (hardly). I rarely went out or bought many new clothes.

In conjunction with this job I also had a job at Debenhams pouring coffee's for old biddys which brought in £200 a month, but that was only for 8 hours on the weekend. As too jobs was getting too much on top of uni work I quit this.

Any who, saved up for just over a year. I then started uni and ticked max on the loan boxes (after all - cheapest loan you're going to get right?). Used this to pay for my first years insurance which was £1800 fully comp (bearing in mind the best quote at the time I could get for my 1.2 was £1500, it seemed to me a no brainer to upgrade). No mummys or daddys involved.

So there you are :p

Just out of interest, where were you living at this time? You say no parents involved but if you were living at home then they kinda were. Most of the money I earned while working at university went on rent and food. Not a chance of affording even a half decent car during that time.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
23 got mine back in march this year, love it best car i`ve ever had! £700 insurance

Last edited:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
21 when i got my 182, payed 1350 each year for the first 2 year, finally got a quote just under 1k on my third year now

20 And have a had a 172 cup and now a 172. I have to pay 300 a month insurance due to just swapping my insurance across plus petrol but I live for my cars and don't have a house :)

Clio 172 CUP
i got my 172 cup at 20 and payed £4200 to buy it £170 to insure it a month about £2000 a year but i wanted one for about a year and its worth it :cool:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
20 And have a had a 172 cup and now a 172. I have to pay 300 a month insurance due to just swapping my insurance across plus petrol but I live for my cars and don't have a house :)

woah, £3600 a year insurance!!!

I could insure an f430 for that.....if i could afford one!

Golf GTD Mk7
I was 22, just left Uni when I got mine. No years NCB and £1250 10month premium with Admiral. :) It only dropped in price once I got a few years NCB and turning 25 helped a little, but not as much as i'd expected.

19 with an R27. Insured for £1300.

Earning reasonable money for my age and still stay at home so no major outgoings. It's not going to last forever so I'll enjoy it while I've got it.

EDIT: For the record, no mummy and daddy were involved.

Giulietta 940
Got my 182 just before my 22nd birthday. 3 years later and I'm still paying out the arse for insurance.