ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where does it rattle

Having just been to Renault with the exhaust rattle in my 172 and been quoted £160 to have it replaced, (and thats just 30%! :eek:)

I have decided Id rarther spend the cash on a performance jobby.

If I changed just the back box would that cure the rattle???

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

probably not, im sure its a problem with the centre section, mine is on 6100 now and i havent experienced it, im not sure whether i should be happy or not? :confused:

take it to a local exhaust place, they aint gonna do nothin renault cant do, give it an anti clockwise twist normally works on the older valvers

will probably be a buzz at around 4000rpm mine was changed under warranty and touch wood its been fine since, it was the centre section (poss cat didnt ask )

Renault Laguna Coupe

Viv - I believe its the centre section. I changed mine for a Magnex cat-back and the rattle went away. A performance cat-back (e.g. Magnex or K-tec) will set you back around £300 - £350 fitted. Taking into account the lifetime guarantee I think its a good investment.

Hiya Viv, Just get a performace exhaust bought - wouldnt think a renault one is gonna last any longer than your current one has!:sick:

The rattle problem at 4k is due to the baffel inside the mid-section ive been told, just another great french product so it seems!! :cry:

Hi everyone,

Had centre section replaced and rattle was still there, ended up having cat replaced and this worked.

All under warranty of course!

stu 172.

the buzz at 4000 rpm is bloody annoying my mk1 does it,if i got a cat by-pass would the car be legal,or would i just have to keep the cat bit for when i got my mot,and stick it back on,any performance gain from it?,can you tell me best one/cheapest etc.

i do a lot of motorway miles so i dont want it to sound like a lancaster bomber :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I already decided if the 4k buzz happend to me (it was replaced b4 i got the car) that I would just put a performance zorst on and keep the cat etc for MOT time.

I think cars fitted with a Cat after 93 have to have them fitted at MOT time .. either that or you car has to pass the same emmisions test which will be harder without the Cat

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

but possible!, sadly i dont htink there is a de-cat ready for a mk2 172 as yet

(due to the location of the lamdas)

hasnt ktr just released one!? oh and vivj, is your one year perisables warranty over then? seein as youve gotta pay?

Just had mine done today, and the guys said my new exhaust now has a twelve month warranty!

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 03 May 2003

hasnt ktr just released one!? oh and vivj, is your one year perisables warranty over then? seein as youve gotta pay?

Just had mine done today, and the guys said my new exhaust now has a twelve month warranty!
yeah, the car is just over one year old (march 02)..typical. And yes all new parts fitted there after have a 1 year warrenty as far as I understand.

I think that Im gonna go for a magnex, do they sound good??:)..the alloys will have to wait ...again :(

ohh very nice m8,i want one of those rear bumpers like off the v6 with twin outlets,but cant find em,and dont know if they fit to mk1 172.

ps flame red is very nice for mk2 172

Renault Laguna Coupe

Yes you can put a backbox onto the original exhaust - Paul Freemantle has one, and I think he fitted it himself. Are you around Paul?