ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to begin!?

182 S
I've decided to turn my standard 182 in to a beast!:)

I no there is alot of experts on here so was hoping for some good advice on where to begin! As much as i wish i knew what i was talking about i dont :eek: so no point in acting like i do!

Bought her about 5 months ago.. 04 silver 27,000 miles. Unfortunetly about 1 month after purhase the power steering pump decided to give up on me ( little did i no this would be the best thing that could have happend to her)
12652_350709675651_609560651_9753093_2519579_n.jpg

So the next day got that replaced and everything seemed all good!

About a week later i was having a play with a boxter down a local road, came to a set of lights, went to pull away and nothing! No lights came on and the engine sounded fine but just would not move! After getting a tow from the AA he explained how it was the cambelt!!! So i took it back to the same garage as before and was told for a new cambelt,tensioners, pulleys etc would be about £370! Thought that was a really gd price as other places quoted from £450 to £800!

About 6 hours later i had a phone call telling me what had happend was, part of the fanbelt had worn away, dropped off and became tangled in the cambelt and gone through and wrapped around the camshafts, basically knackering the whole thing. But the reason for this was the power steering pump which they fitted wasnt aligned corectly which put more tension on the fanbelt and caused it to fray! So he said they would re build everything for me free of charge :eek:!! Couldnt believe there honesty! Had about £1500 worth of rebuild and all it cost me was a bottle of brandy for the boss and a crate for the lads!

So now i think shes in perfect condition for some major performance work!

Getting a full milltek system with decat fitted friday, which i cant wait for!

If you guys wanna share your thoughts on what to go for next then please do ! :)

O and i also already spoke to ktec and they are bringing out a charger for the 172/182 in january for £3500 fitted. I asked if theres things i need to do before hand and he said ' nope, its designed to work on all standard models, obviously with other mods like uprated cams etc u will acheive better results just removes the AC'

So do you think its worth going straight for the charger then other parts.... or other way round!?

I will keep updating my progress, pics azwell as the months go on and hopefully see all of you at the meets! :D

Thanks for reading

Adam

120d M Sport
Remarkable honesty from that garage! Very credible.

Theres a few charged 172's on here now but I'd say enjoy it as it is or buy something faster

182 S
Quick Update! MAJOR PERFORMANCE INCREASE!!!

Just thought i would do a little update!

Had the full milltek decat fiited and really impressed with the difference! Sounds and goes really well! Been checking it every other day as ive heard that milltek suffer with welding problems but so far (touch wood) nothing gone wrong!

Splitter from ktec arrived today so putting that on at the weekend :)

Waiting for a reply from JMS to get Upper and lower inlets, coilovers, and brembos fitted!

Spoke to paul at RStuning today and putting deposit down on a supercharger tomorrow :):):) Depending on rotrex having the charger on stock it should all be done before christmas before the VAT goes up :)

Pics and vids will be up once its all up and running :)

Bring on 250bhp :evil:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
This is going to be great... I reckon you try and keep it as standard looking as possible and then it will be a kind of sleeper! Better front seats, but keep the interior standard.

WANTED Arctic 182
Someone has a lot of cash to burn!

I had my Milltek delivered today. Not got a decat for it yet though, not sure if I want to. Keep me posted if you suffer any problems with yours.

Plans you have sound great.

182 S
Someone has a lot of cash to burn!

I had my Milltek delivered today. Not got a decat for it yet though, not sure if I want to. Keep me posted if you suffer any problems with yours.

Plans you have sound great.

I'm really chuffed with the decat mate and would deffinetly reccomend it. I was worried it would be to loud but it's not at all. Only downside is u can certainly smell it's got no cat and the rear gets a dusty look after a day or 2

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ooooo this sounds like its gona be an intresing project thread.

Perhaps you could look into the K-tec engine mounts. They would be a nice littel mod to go for.

Deffently a decent set of coilovers should be purchased as you want to be able to put all that power to the floor.

There are a never ending list of mods you could do. PTFE gaskets would be another good choice when you get matched inlets.

Trick to a good project thread is PICTURES so make sure you take loads

WANTED Arctic 182
I'm really chuffed with the decat mate and would deffinetly reccomend it. I was worried it would be to loud but it's not at all. Only downside is u can certainly smell it's got no cat and the rear gets a dusty look after a day or 2

I shall order when K-tec have them back in stock :D

DMS

A thirsty 172
You've got to let me come and have a look / ride in it once it's SC'd!
I'll trade you a ride in mine... ;)

p1020060p.jpg

182 S
You've got to let me come and have a look / ride in it once it's SC'd!
I'll trade you a ride in mine... ;)

p1020060p.jpg

Sounds like a plan matey! Urs looks f***in mint. U gone for the low pressure conversion or is it the full works? Looks like the ktec kit?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah. It's K-Tec's "stage 2" setup.
I'm hoping to go it back down there soon to get the boost cranked up fully :D
Should make at least 280bhp, possibly more.

182 S
Yeah. It's K-Tec's "stage 2" setup.
I'm hoping to go it back down there soon to get the boost cranked up fully :D
Should make at least 280bhp, possibly more.

Awsome!well I'm hopefully gonna be running 250bhp so not gonna be to far behind you :) Didn't realise ur only in Ilkeston! Probs seen u about, Im in breaston!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Can't say I've seen you about TBH, but then I never get spotted either.
Coming to the Matlock meet on the 20th?

S3, Polo
Let me get this straight:

- £5k-ish for a 182
+
- £4k for a SC conversion

--------------------------
£9k+ on a mk2 CLIO? :S

You sir, have giant balls...

...or a thick skull! :)

Black Clio GT
then how ever much for the milltek, brakes, engine mounts, coilovers dependant on which ones he goes for.

thats £11k plus lol

then a new clutch kit and gear box when the standards give up.

fair play for doing it though, did it not cross your mind to get a faster car with the cash you seem to have??

DMS

A thirsty 172
LOL @ the trolls.
I too spent a fortune on my Mk2 Clio. I know (and knew) that I could get a "better" car for the money, but that's against the point.
Modifying cars is all about getting a car you like and making it your own. People expect Scoobies / Evo's etc to be stupidly quick. They don't expect a Clio to be though, and that's where the fun is.

182 S
then how ever much for the milltek, brakes, engine mounts, coilovers dependant on which ones he goes for.

thats £11k plus lol

then a new clutch kit and gear box when the standards give up.

fair play for doing it though, did it not cross your mind to get a faster car with the cash you seem to have??

I use to have a BMW z4 3.0 smg. Loved it but business went bad so had to get rid. Managed to get a desent job again so thought I would go down the other line, instead of just buying an already fast car getting something else (182) and making it my own. You can go on YouTube and watch BMWs, Audi's, etc thrashing loads of other cars but how often do you see a Clio thrashing the bigger boys :)

Black Clio GT
I use to have a BMW z4 3.0 smg. Loved it but business went bad so had to get rid. Managed to get a desent job again so thought I would go down the other line, instead of just buying an already fast car getting something else (182) and making it my own. You can go on YouTube and watch BMWs, Audi's, etc thrashing loads of other cars but how often do you see a Clio thrashing the bigger boys :)

fair play, im not knocking you for doing somthing different, i have been there spend £££££s on making cars my own and makin them fast but had loads of bother with highly tuned engines and different standard components giving up every time i used the car so just fell out of love with constantly fixing stuff.
i now prefer just to have a reliable mildly tuned car thats fast as standard, that im not scared of thrashing and that wont take weeks to fix!!
just my personal change in oppion about modded cars thats all.
still enjoy reading threads like this though, keep up the good work bud.........

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL @ the trolls.
I too spent a fortune on my Mk2 Clio. I know (and knew) that I could get a "better" car for the money, but that's against the point.
Modifying cars is all about getting a car you like and making it your own. People expect Scoobies / Evo's etc to be stupidly quick. They don't expect a Clio to be though, and that's where the fun is.
I think the term you are looking for is "Built, not bought".

Besides, if there was lack of nutters spending ££££ on this marque it wouldn't be as exciting. Look at how much the clio TT cost to build - in excess is 12-14k easily - Yet would rape any evo/Ferrari down the strip.

182 S
Update!

She's going in to RStuning Friday as they have the s/c in stock :) just over a week and should be done!

Going to jms feb for coilys,brakes and inlets :)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Fair play, if you're going to do something you may as well be committed and do it right. Can't wait to see the final product!

JB

RB 182 Cup
This is coming along quickly! The first supercharged 182 on CS? Make sure you put up some vids when it's finished.

182 S
This is coming along quickly! The first supercharged 182 on CS? Make sure you put up some vids when it's finished.
didnt realise that? is this gonna be the first charged 182? if any1 knows of anyone else with one then let me no as would love to have a chat with them!

182 S
Can't say I've seen you about TBH, but then I never get spotted either.
Coming to the Matlock meet on the 20th?
yeah i think im gonna go! never been to a meet before.
what you gettin 0 to 60 by the way darren? if you no. and what about MPG?

Golf GT TDI
this will be intresting.

good to see you didnt loose the love after a bit of a shitty start;)

good work

182 S
this will be intresting.

good to see you didnt loose the love after a bit of a s**tty start;)

good work
Thanks mate! almost did. was gonna get a mk4 r32. but im pikky and only wanted a low milage deep pearl blue 3dr and one never popped up for a gd price.

Golf GT TDI
cool, glad your giving this a go. they are great cars for the ££££.

will be watching this thread:D

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
F*cking hell you really are firing on with this! Credit!

Don't mean to be rude here, and it's none of my business so feel free to tell me where to go, but did you have all the money saved up for the mods before buying the car?