ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to wire an inverter

OK, I have finally managed to get an inverter for the car. Where is the best place to wire up power to it ? I cannot use the cigarette lighter as I am using that for an LCD monitor.

If someone could give me a quick HOW TO guide on what do then that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Dai

VaVa

Take a feed striaght from the battery, with an in-line fuse at the battery end. Ground on bare metal as close to inverter as possible.

I am connecting up a PS2 mate. Where and how did you get power to your inverter there ?

I was going to mount the PS2 under the drivers seat if possible.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 04 September 2004

Take a feed striaght from the battery, with an in-line fuse at the battery end. Ground on bare metal as close to inverter as possible.
I am a total novice when it comes to this mate, how do I do that ? Do you wire it via the fuse box ?

VaVa

Connect the negative side (black -) of the inverter input to ground (bare metal!!) and run a cable from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive (red +) side of the inverter input. Put a fuse carrier as close to the battery with a suitablt rated fuse. The inverter should have a current rating on it. Get a fuse thats the same or lower. Rough calculation watts/volts = amps. So if its a 300w inverter, 300/12 = 25 A..

Thinking about it, the inverter should have its own fuse, but its better to be safe than sorry, especially when your running the live through your car!!

Id get somebody in to do it if your not sure.....

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 04 September 2004 at 5:51pm]

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 04 September 2004 at 5:52pm]

Cheers mate, my dad will be helping me to do it but cannot do it himself as he has had a heart attack around a month ago so he has to take it easy so he is going to advise me how to do it.

If I run into problems then I will get someone to do it.

Cheers again.........

I have another quick question which I just thought of !

(YES IT IS 5:30 AM AND I CANT SLEEP AT THE MOMENT..................... I HAVE A BANGING HEADACHE TOO FROM TOO MUCH ALCOHOL !)

How do I connect up an FM modulator ? How do I get to the back of the head unit to connect it up to the aerial ? Is there an easy way or do I need to take out the head unit ?

Thanks again peeps................ wanna try and crack this sometime soon.

PS If for arguments sake I took it to an audio fitter to fit the inverter and FM modulator, how much would they charge me ?

Anybody got any advice for the above questions ?

Also, can you plug a double plug into the inverter socket to plug in 2 appliances to it ?

Polo + Micra

i think you would have to remove the h/u to fit the fm modulator (not worth getting a audio place to fit it)

yes you can plug a double plug into the inverter but just make sure you dont overload the inverter

Is that standard 172 head unit easy to remove ?

The inverter is 300W so powering an LCD screen and PS2 should be no problem ?

Polo + Micra

yeah i think you just need the standad removal tools to get out (the two hole either side)

i would think that a 300w inverter would be able to run a lcd screen and a ps2

OK, I have the PS2 and LCD Screen working in my car now using the inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter and all is working great.

I have no sound tho because the FM modulator is not installed yet. I need to take the head unit out but it doesnt look like I have the tool to do it, is it just a normal small alan key ?

Polo + Micra

its a special tool for removing oem head units

its like two u shaped tools you stick in either side and pull out. should be about £2 from motorwold or some where like that

Dink, you are a star mate ! Thanks.

I am seriously tempted just to get someone to do this but I suppose once I do it once it will be a piece of piss next time. Gotta learn somehow.

I need to run a cable from the audio out on the PS2 to the FM modulator and then all should be well, I hope ! I cannot see any other way of connecting the sound up as there are only white and yellow inputs to the screen.

Id consider wireing up a relay so that the inverter automatically switches off from the remote wire of the hu.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I just use 4 wooden kebab scewers to take my HU out just push them in the holes and then pull out the HU

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 06 September 2004

I just use 4 wooden kebab scewers to take my HU out just push them in the holes and then pull out the HU
Id used a coat hanger if I had to use random objects from around the house, kebab scewers could break off in the holes if youre not careful.

Quote: Originally posted by Dink16v on 05 September 2004

i would think that a 300w inverter would be able to run a lcd screen and a ps2
Check your LCD screen, they are usually 12v, so you wont need to run that through the inverter!?

I have this up and running now but I am having second thoughts about using it in the car. When the car is moving it is illegal to use a TV isnt it ? Do you think it would be too much of a distraction when driving ?

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 06 September 2004

I have this up and running now but I am having second thoughts about using it in the car. When the car is moving it is illegal to use a TV isnt it ? Do you think it would be too much of a distraction when driving ?
Its illegal if the driver can see it!

As for a distraction, dont have p**n on and youll be fine! ;)

Well it will be sitting in the middle of the dashboard, I think I can just about see it ! LOL !

Good point about the p**n but I can see myself watching anything that is on screen !