ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where would you get your clio tuned??

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Where would you recommend getting your clio tuned to? I currently live literally 2mins from Ktec however I see a lot of people going to rs tuning? I currently have a 172 cup. I would be looking at itb in the future. Thanks.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
KTEC have a lot of hit and miss reviews, RS Tuning on a whole get positive reviews. It would all depend on what you were planning to do. You also have Engine Dynamics who have a good reputation, I believe they're based in Essex?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
In future i would be looking to get a set of bodies fitted and tuned by a company. The good thing with ktec is there 2mins down the road.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
In future i would be looking to get a set of bodies fitted and tuned by a company. The good thing with ktec is there 2mins down the road.
They may be 2 minutes down the road but in the same respect, it may cost you 2 times the amount getting someone to repair their errors. Good reputable companies are 100% worth the travel for.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Had my itb ktec build for 4 years, never had a problem.
Least if there's a problem they are right on your door step.
It just costs!!

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Yes it was more than worth it. I can't exactly say how much the itb's cost as I had a lot of other work done..engine and gear box mounts ,LSD and the likes at the same time but I'd figure £2500 all in fitting and mapping.
If I was to do it again I'd be more tempted with the pure motorsport itb's as they have been designed with the the ph1 in mind. Just get ktec to fit them.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
£2500 all in seems very good. The ktec bodies with gen90 ecu is currently £2300 on there website. however since me posting this thread i have since seen another thread which has a lot of people slating Ktec and has definatley made me think twice about going to them if not it has actually put me off. Going back to the itb was that with an ecu? or just the bodies? thanks.

WRX
Whilst bodies do sound great, I'd look at boost instead. Far better performance per pound, nicer on the road too. As stated above, ITBs only if you really have to for racing. I believe KTEC have somebody new doing their mapping but if not, then they're about as good as Google Maps for an ECU. Nearest that I would recommend is Dan Potter @ SJM in Glastonbury. Further away but with a great reputation is EFi parts in Cheshire

Clio 182
SJM would be my choice. He did my rb 182 with cams and a SM inlet. He is spot on. Wouldn't trust my car with anyone else. If I can't do it myself or needs a special tool then it goes to @Dan@SJM
My Clio produced 200bhp after dan had mapped it.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
My advice if your unsure which route of tuning to take is to go to a show. Preferably cliosport festival or FCS and go out in some members cars from here. There's a lot of people with turbo'd, SC and bodies I expect and then once you've decided then look at tuning companies. All the tuners above that the guys have mentioned have good reps bar Ktec so the choice is quite large.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
My advice if your unsure which route of tuning to take is to go to a show. Preferably cliosport festival or FCS and go out in some members cars from here. There's a lot of people with turbo'd, SC and bodies I expect and then once you've decided then look at tuning companies. All the tuners above that the guys have mentioned have good reps bar Ktec so the choice is quite large. Sounds like a good idea thanks for the advise. I think i want to stay n/a just want to make sure i go to the right place.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
SJM would be my choice. He did my rb 182 with cams and a SM inlet. He is spot on. Wouldn't trust my car with anyone else. If I can't do it myself or needs a special tool then it goes to @Dan@SJM
My Clio produced 200bhp after dan had mapped it.
What is his comoany called? Also where they based?

172 Turbo
Low boost @ ED is a similar cost isn't it for £2300?

It works out about £3,200 unless they have a deal on, but bodies plus fitting plus mapping isn't going to be under £2,500.

Been there done that, enjoyed the noise, sold them on and can't tell the difference in power :D

If you want the noise, just get a Ktec filter, half the noise 1/20 of the cost

Renault Clio 172 Cup
It works out about £3,200 unless they have a deal on, but bodies plus fitting plus mapping isn't going to be under £2,500.

Been there done that, enjoyed the noise, sold them on and can't tell the difference in power :smiley:

If you want the noise, just get a Ktec filter, half the noise 1/20 of the cost
You couldent tell the difference after taking the bodies of? Thats strange. I know alot of reviews ain't amazing and i get the feeling a lot of people are left dissopointed.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I fitted bodies to my cup in 2010 and since then I had cams a couple of years later and a worked head fitted last year all mapped/fitted by Dan (SJM).
As said ITB's on their own wont make much of difference if you think they will you will be disappointed. Married up to the cams / head/ lightened flywheel she certainly doesn't hang about now.
I'm not one for bhp pub figures, but Dan did mention that she was putting out as good and sometimes better bhp than some of the low boost conversions that he has had on the same rollers. I'm sure the turbo's would have much more torque.
The problem is the cost of what I have had done in one hit would be a lot more compared to a low boost conversion so would not make as much economical sense, but as I have modded it over a number of years it hasn't been to bad. Plus the car is mainly competed in nowadays in hillclimbs and sprints so the N/A route makes much more sense for my use.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I fitted bodies to my cup in 2010 and since then I had cams a couple of years later and a worked head fitted last year all mapped/fitted by Dan (SJM). Thank you that is great help and given me more confidence to approach dan. If i were to go down the throttle body route then i would have cams matched inlets etc. I think your better of doing the main mods to the engine with bkdies otherwise there is no point. The car is a weekend toy however bodies cams etc will still be good fun on the road.
As said ITB's on their own wont make much of difference if you think they will you will be disappointed. Married up to the cams / head/ lightened flywheel she certainly doesn't hang about now.
I'm not one for bhp pub figures, but Dan did mention that she was putting out as good and sometimes better bhp than some of the low boost conversions that he has had on the same rollers. I'm sure the turbo's would have much more torque.
The problem is the cost of what I have had done in one hit would be a lot more compared to a low boost conversion so would not make as much economical sense, but as I have modded it over a number of years it hasn't been to bad. Plus the car is mainly competed in nowadays in hillclimbs and sprints so the N/A route makes much more sense for my use.