ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which brake band is best...

Hi,

Was looking to replace the discs and pads on a budget and was wondering what brands people recommend. I was going to order mintex but reviews say they squeal aloy. Any other brands people recommend

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Brembo for discs, and I was more than happy with the brembo pads I had on mine.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Pagid pads from ecp are good. I've tracked a Clio on brembo discs and those pads, circa £20 ish. I've tried a few set ups and this I found to be the best. Odd I know. On my impreza I have decent discs and £15 pagid pads. Stops well.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Mintex have seen me thru well on several trackdays, got mine from ebay for about £55 for discs and pads, pretty sure G172 is similarly priced.
Only time I cooked mine was on a hard session on a viciously hot day at Rockingham, were fine after a 20min cool down. Instructor who used to race clios suggested removing fogs and adding ducting.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mintex have seen me thru well on several trackdays, got mine from ebay for about £55 for discs and pads, pretty sure G172 is similarly priced.
Only time I cooked mine was on a hard session on a viciously hot day at Rockingham, were fine after a 20min cool down. Instructor who used to race clios suggested removing fogs and adding ducting.

Interesting again as mintex normaly have a bad rep, especially on track days. My Clio has got brake ducting

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Best & budget don't really go hand in hand.

Would agree that Brembo are very good on the clios.

If it's for road use & you want 'maching OE quality' etc then Pagid would be fine or any of the big brands really.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 cup
For the road Eicher , about 12 quid for fronts from ECP , work perfectly well. For the track best I've found so far ( braking power and longevity combined with not outrageous price ) Carbon Lorraine rc5+.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've tried the rc5 and the ds2500 and I kid you not, the cheap ecp I found the best.

We put a set of £22 halfords pads in at a track day after our DS2500's crumbled after 1 lap!

They lasted all day, no fade etc! For the money they were sublime!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
People laugh when I told them. I needed fronts before oilton last year, quickly. Gave ecp a ring, think it came to about £40 ish, will be doing it again.

Awaits, 'not trying hard enough'. Which tbf, I do.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Our car was shared between two people so was out twice as long as other cars and they were fine.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
That was mental, you were running on metal!

My Brembo pads didn't last much longer,
I think I got 3 laps in before they vanished in a big black cloud of dust.

Although for road use the Brambo pads are quite good,
i'm currently on Pagid from EPC, they're lasting reasonably well.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That was mental, you were running on metal!

My Brembo pads didn't last much longer,
I think I got 3 laps in before they vanished in a big black cloud of dust.

Although for road use the Brambo pads are quite good,
i'm currently on Pagid from EPC, they're lasting reasonably well.

They crumbled like a digestive biscuit! No idea why.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Never rated the ds2500, would like to try the ds3000 but I have other things to buy/save up for first.