ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Brake Discs

Alright bud,

Ive heard its best to go for just the groove because in some circumstances on drilled discs they can crack from the hole to the edge of the disc!

But Ive been speakin to BenR and he saids not to bother with them just go for some rally discs only about 35 nicker!!!

Thinks thats what Im gonna go for when I get hold of some valver or willy calipers!!!

Danny

Ive got the tarox 40 grooves on my williams and i think theyre wicked. I also got advised against buying cross drilled due to the potential of them cracking.

Quote: Originally posted by dannyt on 05 April 2004

Alright bud,

Ive heard its best to go for just the groove because in some circumstances on drilled discs they can crack from the hole to the edge of the disc!

But Ive been speakin to BenR and he saids not to bother with them just go for some rally discs only about 35 nicker!!!

Thinks thats what Im gonna go for when I get hold of some valver or willy calipers!!!

Danny

yeah group n discs from Rally Design are are good.

The reason that they would crack is down to how the holes are formed.

Drilling the discs after casting and machining creates stress concentrations around the hole. The best drilled discs are not drilled at all but have the holes cast into them.

This difference is like the difference in quality between forged and machined bolts, forged being better because of the grain structure flows.

I have used the Rally Design discs for about 2 years now and they are easily the strongest available and amazingly the cheapest . I tried both varities of the Tarox , and both were equally as crap as the other . Neither could last a full day on track .

I also tried just about every make of disc available in the standard size (256mm) and found the Rally Design ones strongest and longest lasting with Renault OE about the same . Everything else was miles behind and a complete waste of money.

Imo of course

with you 100%, if you can get teh job done for 35 quid, stuff nearly 200 quid for junk thats noisy.