ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which broadband provider do you recommend ??

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Hello and good evening.

Just recently moved into my first house and now need to get the Internet sorted. I have activated the bt landline which is £12 per month. Now in your opinion who do you think provides the best speed/connection I'll be using it for online gaming and general net use. Oh a bt said we live in a 8mb area if that means anything???

Hope you can help

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
DO NOT GO WITH TALK TALK!

aye DEFO don't go with talk talk, horrible customer service, kept getting disconected every day and horrible speed

SW Broadband is in Cornwall no call centre, any help you need there their when you need them

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Coo thanks for the advice What's your opinions on bt? They are offering £30 all in Inc line rental and upto 40gb download. Is that suffecient for gaming ?

Inferno 182 CUP
not bt! there s**t! always breaking and there impossible to get rid of if you wanna leave.

sky are pretty sharp

Vaxhall Zafira
I have sky and O2, both are sound!

O2 text to say if there are any issues and again when it is fixed which is a nice touch, plus get a discount if youre an O2 phone customer.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Thanks for all the replies. What sort of set up will I need for online gaming download speed etc

Polo (not quite a Clio)
Thanks for all the replies. What sort of set up will I need for online gaming download speed etc

Not much really, if you're going to be gaming - I'd recommend you hook up your PC / PS3 / Xbox or what ever with a wired connection (ethernet) - not wireless, it isn't really that suitable for gaming. Download speed, anything above 1 Meg would be suitable (as long as it's consistent), it really does not use much at all - you can request for 'interleaving' to be disabled on your line, which will decrease your latency further - often people see around a 30-40% decrease in ping with interleaving disabled.

Do be careful about which provider you choose - they're not all gaming friendly, especially during hours where you could run into really high ping and packet loss due to the traffic management a lot of ISPs enforce during the peak hours of the day. Many providers will also not allow you (or at least put up a fight) to disable interleaving.

Even with interleaving enabled and based in the rural depths of Cornwall where the phone lines are made out of string - we get < 25 ping. We'd probably get around 14-16 ping to UK game servers with interleaving disabled in our office.

Feel free to drop me a PM or add us to MSN / Skype if you'd like any more advice on choosing an ISP; we used to run a game server company - so we're quite experienced in the gaming field.

All the best,
Ryan

A red missile
Plusnet, after having a nightmare with the morons at Virgin Media Plusnet have been brilliant, rock solid 6mb connection which for where we are is really good although we have been told that BT are doing fibre to box round our way within 18 months, it'll be fairly close to us as well and we can expect 20-30mb, but for now Plusnet are great.