ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Car? Clio, Focus

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Guys,

How is everyone? good weekends?

Basically i was planning as some of you know on getting a renault clio 172 but my cirumstances have changed a bit now as i am now getting together some money over the next few months for a deposit on a house so it wouldn't be viable for me to be able to get a 172 at this stage with insurance costs amongst other things.

So i am looking for an alternative something a bit cheaper to run but still a sporty little car what would you guys recommend considering what i have said? I'm looking at clio 1.6's prehaps (1.4 but might be to underpowered) but not sure which models?? and also Ford Focus 1.6-2.0l Zetecs they seem to be good on insurance.

Advice is appreciated

Thanks

Dom

RB 200 Cup!
1.6 16v dynamique - i had one and it was fookin brilliant - quite quick and cheap on the old insurance

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You might as well get a 172 fo the amount of fuel a 2.0 focus will sup. have you thought about a astra 1.8 sri. Cheeper than the focus and insurance shouldn't be to bad ;-)

Lotus Elise 111R
^^ agree 172 will have lower running costs than most of these, if you get a good one....

Had a lot of fun in a 1.6 zetec focus a couple of years back, however that was a hire car, and we all know they have a higher red line,go further in each gear etc etc

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers guys, Focus tdci? as in the new ones? i dont want to spend more than about £3,500 to be honest.

Dom

If you go for an early focus i'd avoid the 1.4 & 1.6 as they are slow as.
My mum has a 2.0 esp only group 8 insurance, I think she only pays £250 a year.

Clio 172 Cup
what are focus 2.0l zetecs like on fuel economy though?? and whats the esp model?? as someone said above about astras would do you guys thing on 1.8s of those 2000-02?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
esp is electronic stability program. from what I know the focus 2.0 is not good on fuel. 1.6 and 1.8 are slow. tdci expensive. You could get a very nice 1.8 astra sri or sxi for 3500. they handle well and are quickish and you will get 40 mpg out of them. imo I also think they don't look to bad in sri trim (pref black)

Clio 172 Cup
esp is electronic stability program. from what I know the focus 2.0 is not good on fuel. 1.6 and 1.8 are slow. tdci expensive. You could get a very nice 1.8 astra sri or sxi for 3500. they handle well and are quickish and you will get 40 mpg out of them. imo I also think they don't look to bad in sri trim (pref black)

Yeah because the focus weighs a fair bit doesnt it? i quite like the look of Astra SXI's & SRI's i will have a look at performance specs on the net, what are your views on 1.6 clios??

Thanks

Dom

visualize whirled pe
I've got a 1.6 clio and they are very good little cars; reasonable on insurance / tax and fuel, I imagine the focus will be more reliable though.

If you want to save cash what about a 1.7 or 1.4 turbo diesel lupo.

I wouldnt worry about performance stats tbh dom at this level of motoring it makes feck all difference, just pick a few decent milage fsh cars, test drive them and buy the one that drives best for you.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
1.6 clio shouldn't be too bad;) , although I didn't look into them when I was looking for a new car a few months ago. It depends how much room you need also? I think Lupo's are expensive for what they are, you would be better with a Seat Arosa if you want something that small. For 3500 my money would be on the sri every time unless I could find a good phase 1, 172 but I dont think your after one of those?

Megane Trophy #147
i have a mk2 ph1 clio 1.6 16v paid 2 grand for it with 45k miles on it and it does 40 mpg easy and insurance is cheap only thing that was a b**ch was gettin the cam belt done but nothin major has gone wrong i highly recommend it

Clio 172 Cup
i have a mk2 ph1 clio 1.6 16v paid 2 grand for it with 45k miles on it and it does 40 mpg easy and insurance is cheap only thing that was a b**ch was gettin the cam belt done but nothin major has gone wrong i highly recommend it

Sounds like a good buy! especially for only 2k! Do you have any pics of it?? After how many miles did you get the cam belt done out of interest?

Thanks

Dom