ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which clio is the best as a base for a track car ?

Iceberg 172
I'd say 172... Easier to get suspension for and it doesn't have air con plus it's already on Turini's.

But from a previous post today I can't see the wieght affecting a lap time in a massive way unless you're Lewis Hamilton.

lift number 1 @ btm
For a pure trackday car?

I'd say 172 cup, the weight does make a difference to the way it feels, and you have no abs so can claim to be a hero. :cool:

thanks guys, does the 182 cup handle any better than the 172 cup, with it being the later model i assume it had tweeks to improve it.??

lift number 1 @ btm
the other way round I believe.

as I remember it, the 172 has slightly different geometry and a wider track.

the coilovers is a very valid point too, there isn't much for the 182 off the shelf

M2 Competition
172 cup will be fine heatwise in summer on track. Vents turned up on cold will let enough air in, and most tracks can get away with a little gap at top of window. I never had a problem and am a 'hot' person (as opposed to someone that wraps up warm).

Id also vote for cup. Some say ph1, but lots more work to be done to turn one into a track car, lots of faffing about removing tar/ abs/ aircon (none of which the cup has)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get whatever is cheapest, so probably a ph1 (people are picking some of them up for just over £1K now, some are paying even less!) and then spend the rest of the money on decent track based mods (brakes/tyres/seats/stripped out/suspension etc).

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
even tho iv got a 182 cup id say the 172 cup is more suited for the track, why they didnt go down the route of taking out the AC and ABS in the 182 cup seems silly to me as they had already done it with the 172

phase 1 172 sport
all on the driver id say both my 182 cups have been spot on and been great on track most peeps seem to be anti 182 cups.

ITB'd MK1
depends how far you intend to mod it. If you're stripping it fully then get the cheapest ordinary 172 you can find with a decent engine. Pointless getting a cup "because it handles better" then changing everything

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
As you say 'base for a track car', then surely (budget dependant) any of the 172's or 182's would do?

Weight can be saved on each one, power can be gained on each one, suspension etc can be changed on each one.

Unless I am missing the point, as it is just a base/start, then would a decent ph1 not be the obbvious choice? It is cheaper and can mean more of the budget can be spent elsewhere.

From what I have seen, the 172 Cup's seem to be relatively expensive, I wouldn't pay more (than a similar age/condition 172 non cup) for one.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just get a saxo vts, much cheaper & just as quick on track anyway ....

;)

Out of the clio's, if you're going to do it properly & change everything anway, just buy the cheapest shed you can find, so a PH1.