ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Clio to get or maybe an ST???

fiesta
So ive been looking to buy a car but dont know which to get, every fiesta ST i have seen has been in a smash, and have only seen a clio 182 cup

Ive test drove a Fiesta ST (07) and it was fantastic to drive and very fast and I was going to buy but it has been in an accident but the guy lied to me.

I tested a Clio 182 FF on 80k and it was fantastic, amazing speed and handling, but was a bit of a dog, misfired, seating position and pedals and gearstick will take some getting used to.

Which car should I get a Fiesta ST , Clio 172/cup , 182/ff

There seem to be lots of good condition low mileage clio 172's about, is there much difference between them and a 182/ff?

Im very aware of the different set ups of each car, I just want some opinions on what to go for?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure I've ever heard a standard ST as being described as 'very fast' lol.

ST's however are tunable from what I've heard (if you're into that kind of thing) & pretty bomb proof. I can't say I'm a fan though personally.

I love the RB colour in the 182's so that's likely where my money would go.

Reality is standard for standard the clio is quicker, handles better & looks better IMO.

The ST is built better though without a doubt.

How much you looking at spending...

Last edited:

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I just bought a FF182 after selling my bike, looked at a few ST's, but I think you get more car for your money with a 182, quicker and handle better, and are a bit cheaper, I love mine and only had it a month, I have driven literally hundreds of cars, I don't find the seating position bad at all, pedals seem fine, in fact I think the seats are pretty comfy, ok the ride is quite hard, but I didn't expect anything else, ok so its not put together like a Rolls Royce, but mine goes well and sounds well, I am made up with it....

Willo

fiesta
Budget is 2-3K, I am also looking at 1.8 turbo VAG stuff, Suzuki ignis sport 1.5, st170, suzuki swift 1.6 vvt sport.

Im quite happy getting an ST speed wise as all ive had up to now is a classic mini (39 bhp), VW lupo (75bhp), and currently have a 1.4 fiesta mk6 (78bhp)

But when I drove a Clio 182 ff its handling reminded me of the mini, maximum chuckability into the corners and just doesnt stop gripping, and when it goes over 5000rpm holy jesus does it shift.

My only concerns is reliability of the Clios

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You wouldn't buy an ST170 over a Fiesta ST... my 2 pence is if you offered me a 182 or an ST tomorrow for my needs and wants i'd have the ST all day long. Especially the spec I had.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't see the budget.

Hell pick up a ph1 172 or a 172 cup and pocket the chance.

Don't buy an st. They're all a bit s**t without a blower attached.

In your opinion obviously?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Budget is 2-3K, I am also looking at 1.8 turbo VAG stuff, Suzuki ignis sport 1.5, st170, suzuki swift 1.6 vvt sport.

Im quite happy getting an ST speed wise as all ive had up to now is a classic mini (39 bhp), VW lupo (75bhp), and currently have a 1.4 fiesta mk6 (78bhp)

But when I drove a Clio 182 ff its handling reminded me of the mini, maximum chuckability into the corners and just doesnt stop gripping, and when it goes over 5000rpm holy jesus does it shift.

My only concerns is reliability of the Clios

lol

i test drove both before i got my clio. Always been a ford guy but when it come down to it, i enjoyed the clio more. Take a little getting use to and if you want to use it as a daily then be prepared for it to break more than the ST. The build quality is better on the ST but not exactly very fast compared to the clio. Both cars are great but for overall enjoyment the clio wins, hands down. Plus for that budget you won't get a good ST for that kinda money, They're still going for like 3.5/4k for something even worth considering.

Titanium 182
I've driven a MK6 Fiesta ST countless times and even borrowed one for 3 months, the build quality is really nice and solid, the engine is also a really reliable lump if looked after. Very fun to drive and can come with some good toys if you find the right model, however vs the Clio 182 it just seemed to lack character for me, and it definitely feels like a warm hatch compared to the 172/182's. I have already owned a 182 and came to this exact crossroad myself before buying Lawros old 182, I can tell you that the 182 will make you a lot happier than the ST despite it's flaws :p Plus don't forget about all the extras on the 182 you won't get on a MK6 ST such as Xenons, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Headlights etc. No brainer ;)

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Get up dorf fest this weekend be lots of dagenham dustbins for sale there :approve: my sons going in his army green fiesta :race:

RB Clio 182
My Fiesta ST was a better all rounder than my Trophy.

Imo i dont think many people buy either of these cars if they are wanting a good all rounder.

Imo people buy them to enjoy them, have spirited drives in them etc.

What does the fiesta do better than the clio?

Imo i dont think many people buy either of these cars if they are wanting a good all rounder.

probably works a lot more tbf lol had a zetec s and was tempted to move up to the st but I've always wanted an arctic blue 172/182, so got that instead. the only thing the fiesta has over the clio is, reliability. everything else swings towards the clio.

2002 clio 172
Not sure why people think clios are unreliable? Any car can break, mine has had a couple of issues but never broken down.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Change gear? Not rattle?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When pressing on though the T is in a different league.

I couldn't disagree. The standard gear change and steering just drags it back a little.

Brilliant car but not without it's faults that are simply fixed.

clio 182 trophy
I couldn't disagree. The standard gear change and steering just drags it back a little.

Brilliant car but not without it's faults that are simply fixed.
What was it about the steering that you didn't like? The box is s**t though i agree 100%. Of course, but when you take into consideration people had them brand new for 13k, f**king bargain imo. Mine somehow does not rattle, weird.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
nice as the ST is, it didnt feel great as standard. A mate of mine went through standard all the way to the MR200 package and it felt very quick indeed with that on it plus a diff but it cost a fortune for all that work

nice as the ST is, it didnt feel great as standard. A mate of mine went through standard all the way to the MR200 package and it felt very quick indeed with that on it plus a diff but it cost a fortune for all that work

It would also cost you a fortune to get above the 190bhp mark in a 172 as well. you could match the stock power of the 172 fairly easily with the ST as don't the respond very well to breathing mods?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I didn't think so when it had just a filter and exhaust, it was only the mountune packages that made a viable difference that were quite pricey for the gains but yes same thing applies to the clios I guess. Just felt the difference was quite pronounced but a lot was spent to give it a driving feel akin more to my standard ish 182. Had a lot of problems with the fitting and certain parts used too, not at mountune but another tuner and the car kept having to go back for correctional work. Think the gearbox ended up giving up after a while too even after a diff was added

Golf Mk5 GTi
Have had a ph1 172, a 182ff and a ST - the ST is the 'slowest' but the most solid feeling, and arguably the more practical (though you'd buy neither for their practicality). The Clios were better around corners and quicker. Never had a problem with any of them and would own both again, both great to own and fun to drive. If I 'had' to pick one it would be a Clio 182ff, but would be happy with either tbh.

RB 182 195bhp
Suprised no one has suggested an ep3?
I have no personal experience of fiesta st's, but from being passenger in them they feel quite slow.
None of these cars are 'fast' but quick enough to be fun although the st's are noticeably slower than 182's or ep3's.
I think the 1*2's represent really good value for money and a really good fun factor. Build quality and the fit and finish are the main things letting them down, so it's up to the op where his priorities lie.
Ep3's must be worth considering, they respond well to tuning and are pretty reliable, would be in budget too.