ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which code reader/ scanner to buy ?

Every now and then i have a few lights pop up on the 182, i just want a cheap scanner/reader to plug into the car. Ideally i want the scanner to tell me what is wrong and not just a code! Any recomendations please?!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think you'll find the scanners only give you the codes not the actual fault ,you have look the code up either in the book supplied or google it . Cheap OBDII scanners can be bought on ebay and can be useful reading and deleting fault codes . If you're getting lights pop up on the dash frequently maybe there is a more serious underlying problem that'll need investigating further by taking it to a Renault garage and getting it plugged in to their diagnostic computer .

Below is an example of an OBDII scanner :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300741055304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

im not going main dealer, there prices are stupid! i think its about £65 to plug it in at renualt, so 4 trips to reanault i could buy a half decent reader. blue point reader is £250 and that does tell you the fault, i just thought there might of been a cheap on out there guys on here use?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Ive got the u480(?) that ktec sell, i got pissed off paying renault £80 a time and bought that for £40, win.
ive also got a laptop based usb one that does codes and sensor reading, £10 on ebay

Bumping an old thread as just bought one of these code readers and I cant work it out, all I want to do is get rid of my EML light as the decat has put it on.
when I plug it in I get told there is one code but then when I view the code all it says is na 01/01 which clearly is not a fault code.

Clio 182
i got one for clearing light for decat from 'beatthegarage' through eBay for £20 - think theyre more expensive through website for some reason though- looks same as ktech one.

only get emissions light on when cruise contol tho