ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which exhaust-suggestions please

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
oh you mean as in a powerflow one etc ( the penny has dropped lol ) had many of them on previous cars, always liked them actually

Do that then mate. Remember whatever you spend your hard earned cash on will be staying on the car for some time

Renault clio 172
LOL like I said standard are crazy money new, and like Imprezaworks said before there build quality is pritty shoddy compared with the aftermarket ones

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've got a cat back Scorpion stainless system on my car. It's not too loud and improves the performance. Well worth the money and will last a lot longer than a mild steel Renault system that costs almost the same. I went through two centre sections in three years and a back box so it made sense to go to stainless this time round

535d / t5 caravelle
powerflow want £300 for a custom exhaust, but said they struggle to keep them quiet. k tec are looking favourable

225 Cup & Williams
Best exhaust I had on my 172 was the BTB. The fitment was spot on and it sounded truly awesome for a silenced aftermarket system. Not sure if they still do the discount on them for cliosport member but I'm sure it brought the cost down to about £450 buy don't quote me on that. Had a silenced ktec stealth before the BTB and it fitted terrible and was quite droney at motorway speeds.

172 Cup
i have a k-tec super sport stealth (un-silenced one) on my 172 Cup. Picked it up second hand off here for £150 which i thought was a bargin as it had only done about 1000 miles. I do like, BUT, between 70-80mph on the motoway it does get pretty boomy, around town its fine and i dont feel like a rude boy chav, if you give it the beans though people will definitely turn and look. I can definitely live with it as i dont do much motorway travel but it would get a bit annoying if i did. Maybe try the silenced stealth from k-tec, not sure how much quieter it will actually be though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I run a btb stealth on my cup bill and it's excellent! In a fully stripped out Clio there is hardly any noise issues to contend with from the exhaust. It doesn't drone on motorway journeys, and the best bit is that you don't attract the attention of the law when your giving it some! Lol!

I thought they offered a better price for cs members????? Mine cost nowhere near the £550 you've mentioned earlier, but tbh, even if it had done it would've been worth it.

I had a prospeed system on my other cup, and that was excellent too. It was recessed into the rear bumper and looked spot on.

172 Cup
Bill, shame your so far away from prospeed. I much prefer mine to my old BTB.

The fabrication is not as good, but its not made on a jig and will be done in three hours.

If you don't like the noise, charlie is more than happy to adapt it to your requirements. I went back twice to get it to my liking and charlie covered the costs.

Stick to 2 1/4" if you like it quiet on the motorway, 2 1/2" is very boomy in comparison.

Get a sports cat at the same time, the car feels much more torquey round town with one fitted, and will still pass an mot.

The BTB was very well fabricated, but i was astonished at the weight, and i really didn't like it between 65-75mph on the commute.

The prospeed and sports cat made the car feel much better, i did not feel any improvement with the standard cat and the btb fitted.

When i fitted the BTB, i really missed my renault system after 10 miles on the motorway, around town and up/down the revs the BTB sounded nice, but at constant revs, it disturbed my brain.

Total cost was £400

172 Cup
I would really have liked to buy a BTB ninja, but they were far more expensive, and i don't think many were produced.

I think that may have been a perfect replacement for the renault exhaust, excellent build quality and no droning.

It really depends if you can tolerate an exhaust that is louder than standard?

It is great for a b road blast, but not ideal if you have a long commute, or like talking to passengers.

I found that loud exhausts make me enjoy driving the clio less. Induction noise is far more appealing for me.

I only went to prospeed for a new system as the renault backbox was strangling the 438 cams.

Not really a surprise given that the cat and backbox were nearly 10 years old.

535d / t5 caravelle
lets say i got a custom one from powerflow, in order for them to make it quiet, would that have a negative affect on performance?

172 Cup
The renault system is very restrictive to keep the noise down, i believe the centre section and cat flow well, but the backbox is the bottleneck.

I think Danny at 519 runs a 21/4" system on his itb 172, he doesn't like exhaust noise.

Having run both 21/4 and 21/2" centre sections, i could not tell any difference with performance, but the larger the diameter, the more droney on the motorway.

If the car irritates you, then you won't like driving it as much.

Why not just get a stainless custom backbox to start you off?

535d / t5 caravelle
after driving mine round now like it is, i do not want a noisy exhaust, thats for sure, when its light in the morning i will check what exactly is falling off and where from, and go from there, think a powerflow custom one is in order, £300 cant complain, although if i can get away with a back box, then as you suggested i will try that.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The renault system is veand restrictive to keep the noise down, i believe the centre section and cat flow well, but the backbox is the bottleneck.

I think Danny at 519 runs a 21/4" system on his itb 172, he doesn't like exhaust noise.

Having run both 21/4 and 21/2" centre sections, i could not tell any difference with performance, but the larger the diameter, the more droney on the motorway.
If the car irritates you, then you won't like driving it as much.

Why not just get a stainless custom backbox to start you off?

I run a mild steel stealth. Its quiet as stock, and cheaper

535d / t5 caravelle
I run a mild steel stealth. Its quiet as stock, and cheaper

for some reason i have been dismissing this as i wanted a stainless with lifetime warrenty, but you have my attention now, how long has it been on your car? any idea on the expected shelf life of this item? are standard exhausts made of the same mild steel?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Its been on mine for about 8k, but I had the equivalent on my mk1 Clio for over 2 years and it was still perfect when I stripped the car. Metal quality is great. I'm also running about 210bhp, so its not restrictive at all

535d / t5 caravelle
Its been on mine for about 8k, but I had the equivalent on my mk1 Clio for over 2 years and it was still perfect when I stripped the car. Metal quality is great. I'm also running about 210bhp, so its not restrictive at all

ordered one, thanks for that, cheapest option just before xmas, and if its good enough for your car its good enough for mine!

thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I would probably advise against the K Tec stealth, my sisters other half has one on his 172 Cup & it's pretty boomy.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I would probably advise against the K Tec stealth, my sisters other half has one on his 172 Cup & it's pretty boomy.

was he too tight to pay the extra for the center silencer?

The mild steel system is center silenced, and 2.25 inch, not 2.5

I recommend these a lot, but the fact it's mild steel puts people off for some reason

535d / t5 caravelle
£240 delivered did it for me mate, and the fact its not overload on the sound side, and you rate them :)

535d / t5 caravelle
The exhaust has arrived, ordered it Wednesday night at 10pm, arrived Friday morning at 11am, excellent service, 1st time i've used k-tec, and would happily use them again, should be getting fitted tomorrow night all being well.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Good luck with it, but I think you'll find it too loud imo :(

I've had two stealth's (the janspeed current type) and they boom and drone like hell. Infact, that cup had one when i bought it, sold it for a new genuine, so its not had a bad innings

Hopefully this version is quieter........ Await the update :)

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Good luck with it, but i think you'll find it too loud :(

All KTR zorts drone, i've had two stealth's (the janspeed current type) and they boom and drone like hell. Infact, that cup had one when i bought it, sold it for a new genuine, so its not had a bad innings

every person that's been in my car would tell you otherwise

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My experience with ktec exhausts have been,, crap fitment, heavy and loud, in no particular order btw.

535d / t5 caravelle
Good luck with it, but I think you'll find it too loud imo :(

I've had two stealth's (the janspeed current type) and they boom and drone like hell. Infact, that cup had one when i bought it, sold it for a new genuine, so its not had a bad innings

Hopefully this version is quieter........ Await the update :)

i seem to remember reading you changed one off the cup in your project thread as it was to loud, i'm confident the mild steel one will be bang on from what Dan says, fingers crossed! :)