ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which fuel

Im sure this has been asked before, but couldnt find another thread on it

Renault recommend 98 RON.

Unleaded is 95 RON and Super Unleaded 97 RON.

What are the implications (if any) of using normal unleaded or would you recommend switching to super unleaded?

What do other people use?

Cheers :)

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by steven_9709 on 08 November 2004
Im sure this has been asked before, but couldnt find another thread on it

Should have gone to Specsavers..

Yaris Hybrid

Costs me £3.50 a month extra to use Optimax over 95 RON.

If you cant afford £3.50 a month then to be honest you shouldnt be running a car full stop because you obviously wont able to afford to replace brake pads, tyres and bulbs as often as soon as they need to be replaced.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 08 November 2004

If you cant afford £3.50 a month then to be honest you shouldnt be running a car full stop because you obviously wont able to afford to replace brake pads, tyres and bulbs as often as soon as they need to be replaced.
That wasnt what I was asking. I can assure you that I have no problems running the car financially at all.

I was merely asking if there was any implications of using normal unleaded over super - nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for all the helpful replies :(

Some people swear by using Optimax, some dont. Try a few tankfuls of both and decide for yourself. I did and the "loss" of performance offered by Optimax was marginal compared to how "out of my way" I had to go to get to a Shell garage so I use 95 RON.

I think the clio runs alot smoother with higher octane fuel. This is probably because it burns slower but I find that you can more performance out of 95 octane. I just put 97ron sainsburrys (BP) super in it. I used to put optimax in but I think its over-rated.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by steven_9709 on 08 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 08 November 2004

That wasnt what I was asking. I can assure you that I have no problems running the car financially at all.

I was merely asking if there was any implications of using normal unleaded over super - nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for all the helpful replies :(
Look Renault say 98 RON. They design and build the engines and no doubt test them thoroughly. They know far more about the engines than anyone on here.

If Renault say 98 RON then regardless of what Cliosporters say, run it on 98 RON or 97 if you cant get Optimax. I am sure you can get it in your area, just look on the Shell website. There are no relevant implications in terms of cost (unless you do silly miles in which case you have the wrong car) so its pretty straight forward - you dont need to know the science! :)

*yawn*

can we go a day without the optimax/unleaded debate? god its getting back to the days of arging whats better; 172 or cup.

Mazda MX5 1.8

i wack in £20 worth of super if its avaliable (when i need some obviously)

if not £10 of normal will do me for a bit then put in another £10 of super when i go that way

Cup 172

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 08 November 2004

*yawn*

can we go a day without the optimax/unleaded debate? god its getting back to the days of arging whats better; 172 or cup.
Well thats easy. CUP is better than 172 isnt it!;)

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by MIKE-CUP on 09 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 08 November 2004

*yawn*

Well thats easy. CUP is better than 172 isnt it!;)
It is if you like dont like the nicer things in life....;);)

Ziel Nurburgring

Ive tested 3 or 4 types of fuel. 95, 97, optimuck and esso SU. The others were pants compared to Optimilk, stick with it even if its just for the cleaning stuff in it and you cant notice the difference in performance. 95 and esso SU were truely awful fuels, lumpy and lacking performance.

[Edited by blink172 on 09 November 2004 at 10:31am]

But hey, this topic will be dragged over the coals again and again and again.

Ziel Nurburgring

Best there is my friend, its like feeding your engine crystal rather than moet. Moets good, but it doesnt snap knicker elastic like crystal!

200 cup (van blanc)

i filled up at a TOTAL station the other day - i didnt realise they did a 98RON quite cheap as well 88.9!!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Schtop schtop, your carsh, dey are not reddy yet. you must seeder lite and switch too der bedder optimax. Seriously, spring for a couple of tanks back to back and you wont be disappointed