ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which gearbox to use, HELP!

225 powered mk2
currently doing my 225 conversion, I need to sort a box out for it, now i have 2 options:

172/182 Gearbox or 225 6speed.

I know the 225 box fits in the bay and straight onto the block. My question is is the clutch cable or hydraulic driven? and im guessing the 225 box selector isnt a Rod like the clio?

If this is the case i may choose the 182 box, but this would need machincing onto the block?

Any help would be great as i have to order a box tonight or early tomorrow.

cheers.

BMW M135i
I'm 99.9% sure the ND0 box won't fit without chassis alterations, plus the control problems you've already highlighted. And the JC5 is a no go for the fact that its the wrong bellhousing pattern for a 774 block and it won't last anyway.

The way its been done before (Andyrg) is to put the megane head on a 730/732/736 block with the megane internals and run a diesel box or risk a JC5 and see how long it lasts.

225 powered mk2
730/732/736 block? clio sport 2.0 ltr block? does the 225 head fit straight onto the 172 Block then?

Im sure ive seen the 225 6 speed fitted into a clio bay on here?

cheers for the info :)

BMW M135i
730/732/736 is the Ph1 172, Ph2 172 and 182 engine. The 225 head does indeed drop on but block needs drilling and tapping for the turbo oil feed and return in the same places the 774 block is from the factory. ND0 definetly does not fit without mods, its not impossible but not easy either. Then you get the whole clutch/gear selection to work out too, easier (although not necessarily as reliable) to stick with a JB/JC series box.

Lionel Richie
730/732/736 is the Ph1 172, Ph2 172 and 182 engine. The 225 head does indeed drop on but block needs drilling and tapping for the turbo oil feed and return in the same places the 774 block is from the factory. ND0 definetly does not fit without mods, its not impossible but not easy either. Then you get the whole clutch/gear selection to work out too, easier (although not necessarily as reliable) to stick with a JB/JC series box.

10min with a grinder and the ND0 fits in

i have a brand new ND0 sat here (going cheap!)

Lionel Richie
DSC00023.jpg

BMW M135i
Bloody close though, and was right it doesn't fit without mods. Plus what about mounts etc? Custom needed? JR5 stick and clutch pedal could be used for hydraulic clutch and cable shift?

What ND0 is it btw? 000 or 020?

225 powered mk2
Ahhh, now this throws something else into it. Ive just been told a 172 box will fit the 225 block with abit of drill and tappin'

Fred you have pm :)

cheers.

225 powered mk2
Roght ive decided im going down the jc5 box route. and getting a 172/182 block, so i need to drill a hole for the oil feed return?