ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is the better track car?

Out of the 172 ph1 and 172 ph2 (non cup)?

I'm after something that can be used as a daily but can also be driven to and from a track day and for weekend blasts.

Are they similar to drive? The prices of both seem to be crossing over and originally I wanted a ph2 however the ones at the price I'm looking at are either Cat D's or been to the moon and back. (Not too bothered about a Cat D tbh) So I'm started to look at ph1s.

Cheers.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Daft question. Obviously going to be a biased response.

Much for muchness. The ph1 is lighter + also has cable throttle.

Cat D, would you really trust it? Naw...

53 Clio's & counting
Id get a ph1, simply because they are older and you will get a better one for your money - budget depending

Daft question. Obviously going to be a biased response.

Much for muchness. The ph1 is lighter + also has cable throttle.

Cat D, would you really trust it? Naw...

Why take the time to answer a daft question?

I think I've enough ability to spot a badly repaired car with regards to a Cat D.

Track prep will be limited to pads/fluid/lines and then suspension.

Want to keep this with full interior tbh.

Cheers

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ok.

Ph1 - Decent enough looking, it's lighter as i've said, ensure it's got the lighter bonnet. Most will be in need of come work, both cosmetic and mechanical. Bushes and suspension. Brakes are the same for both. They will need uprates if doing stints of more than 10laps. Interior is dated, more so than the ph2. Ph1 drives nice enough, throttle response is better.

Ph2 - Better looking overall, nicer colour choice, i've had 2, both had their issues, engine mounts, driveshafts etc. Nicer interior, more modern, still shite driving position, xenons. Decent on track, road, very capable as are all Renault sports.

Plenty of threads on this, if you'd taken the time to look!

ok.

Ph1 - Decent enough looking, it's lighter as i've said, ensure it's got the lighter bonnet. Most will be in need of come work, both cosmetic and mechanical. Bushes and suspension. Brakes are the same for both. They will need uprates if doing stints of more than 10laps. Interior is dated, more so than the ph2. Ph1 drives nice enough, throttle response is better.

Ph2 - Better looking overall, nicer colour choice, i've had 2, both had their issues, engine mounts, driveshafts etc. Nicer interior, more modern, still shite driving position, xenons. Decent on track, road, very capable as are all Renault sports.

Thanks, is the ally bonnet much lighter then?

Do they both do similar MPG?

Cheers.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Thanks, is the ally bonnet much lighter then?

Do they both do similar MPG?

Cheers.

It is a good bit lighter, but not material enough to make a difference...(Just nice to have)

I would imagine so, same motor...mid to late 20's combined, mid 30's on long runs. low 20's on track...If you want MPG buy a Diesel.

It is a good bit lighter, but not material enough to make a difference...(Just nice to have)

I would imagine so, same motor...mid to late 20's combined, mid 30's on long runs. low 20's on track...If you want MPG buy a Diesel.

You're helpful (which I am grateful for) but also a bit of a sarcastic c**k. Lay off it, I've got a diesel.

Cheers for the help everyone.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Welcome to cliosport!

Obvious questions require obvious answers! Got any more princess? ;)

tiTTy & SV650
pmsl your 172 is awesome in terms of handling now Ali, I shared the settings with dan in another thread he started.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You're dreaming on the MPG Ali!!! My ph1 gets 42+ MPG on long journeys, only time I see the mid 30's is combined.

Really like really!!! A 1.2 doesn't even get that!!! Do you drive at 50 on long journeys...

Either way discussing MPG on a RS i like supercar owners discussing the price...it's a nono!

But Ali, it's not a supercar, it's a cheap sub 2k car we're talking about.

If I was money bags I wouldn't care about the MPG. However I am not, I want fun for as cheap as possible.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
But Ali, it's not a supercar, it's a cheap sub 2k car we're talking about.

If I was money bags I wouldn't care about the MPG. However I am not, I want fun for as cheap as possible.

Fair play...

On that basis a 172 is the car for you. It's cheap; at purchase, it will return a very affordable MPG, it's cheap to maintain, It's fun, the knowledge base on here will help you with any issues, many of which you will be able to resolve yourself.

Only insurance to consider, dependant on age and location.

In reality the RS is unrivaled for smiles per £.

tiTTy & SV650
for the money they're impossible to beat imo, 306gti6 is worth a look in as is the 106gti / saxo vts

tiTTy & SV650
mx5 is also worth a look, adjustable camber, caster, toe as standard - rwd obviously. And once you get the hang of it bolt a supercharger on

MX5 is a good shout, we run two in the MX5 Cup (Mk3) loads of adjustment and crossweights are easy to get pretty close to perfect when on the scales. I'm a big lad with a shaved head though, and you know the stereotypes surrounding MX5s!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Drive one. They are better than the clio.

Trust me, ive had 4 of each.

I'm now busy trying to make my Trophy handle like a saxo lol

Deathtrap then?

Agree with the above. 306 does nothing for me, Looks rubbish both inside and out. Couldn't care if it handles well, nothing would make me physically go out and buy one.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
MX5 is a good shout, we run two in the MX5 Cup (Mk3) loads of adjustment and crossweights are easy to get pretty close to perfect when on the scales.

Hence the reason i have one;)
Stop saying they are so good or every b'stard will want one;)

Bren paid near enough £1k for his, HPI clear and well looked after. The bargins are out there if you are in no major rush...