ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is +ve and -ve in a clio 172 mk2

The Bus and MRT
Slightly confused.... on the drivers side door I have one purple and one green wire.... on the passenger door one cream/baige one pink... Why couldn't they just be red and black?

Anyone kind enough to tell me which is which?

Cheers...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
hi mate, this looks like im stalking your posts! im not!

the 2 wires that go into the speaker should be in a ?white? clip, that then goes into the speaker, pull out the whte clip, then inside the recess where the white clip goes you should see a positive sign next to one of the terminals, then work out which wire it is...the white clip will only go in one way so will be obvious which wire!

what you want to do is be careful not to damage the white clip, or the 2 metal 'spade' like bits on the ends of the wires that are inside the white clip, pull these out of the white clip, and then snip the wires, leaving on enough of the priginal wire so if you revert back to standard you know which wire goes where. then put these clips back in the white clip, and then clip that back into the speaker.
if you do this on both and then decide to return your original speakers this makes it so much easier!

use proper connectors when using the new speakers, spade types are the best, this ensures the best connection and best sound quality.

did you get the head unit in and working right with the ipod cable??

Joe

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
if you have any trouble and that post doesnt make any sense i can pm you my mobile number and talk you through it?

The Bus and MRT
Not to worry mate, I appreciate the help ;) I've already snipped the wires but guess I can still match up the connectors cheers.... Not messed about with the head unit so haven't tested the USB part yet, just not got enough time, it's almost dark now. I'll definately get it all sorted over the weekend though.

Cheers

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
no worries mate!
if you dont plan to take the speakers out when you sell it there isnt a problem, but i never did that with my first clio and when i took them out it was a fookin pain!

good luck!

The Bus and MRT
Managed to finally get them all hooked up but it was very dark so had to rush them a bit :S

I'll have to take them out again over the weekend and secure the crossover boxes a little better, at the moment they're rattling around in the doors as they've only got a bit of sellotape holding them in.

I have to say though, they don't sound much bassier than the standard speakers, not sure if the tweeters are up too high on them at the moment.

Also, I mentioned this in a nother post, the factory set up has the tweeters in the dash as well as the door speakers, doesn't this mean that there is already a cross over fitted so I now effectively have two cross overs on the front two chanels which will be effecting the amount of power getting to the new components? - sorry not very good at explaining this :eek:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
in effect this should make it even clearer, as the sound going to you front speakers from the head unit will be seperated by the crossover fitted, and then the sound sent to tweeters/door speakers, however, as you must have noticed as you are changing it, the sound system is a budget one at best, therefore meaning that the crossover is probably on par with the rest of the standard equipment, therefore you have two sets of tweeters which will be giving out clear sound.
you could get a system wiring diagram and find the original crossovers, and then rewire the original tweeters to the new crossover box, or disconnect them completely and see if that makes it better?

try messing around with the head unit, as many have a lot of setting about moving bass around, also, with still standard rear speakers this could be a problem why you can't tell.
you could get a sub and amp in your boot, or there are 'subwoofer' 6 x 9's that are available, think they are about £200 from halfords, so search them on ebay to get them cheaper, supposed to be very high quality.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you have lost the low frequency you might have the speakers out of phase. Re-check you have the polarity correct when you wired them up. dont whatever you do solder the speaker wire onto the speakers, you could damage the cones by heating them up and the braided wire that runs from the terminals to the cones (litz wire) will soak up solder like blotting paper and cool down stiff, which will defeat the object of having flexible wire there in the first place.
Its always best to rewire from the head unit using a better quality wire if you can, when there are OEM tweeters, as they can be wired up in a number of ways some of which will defeat the replacement crossovers or at best just make them sound rubbish. Get rid of the connection to the original tweeters, just adding more speakers in the line will trash the impedance of the replacement components and you will have wasted your money.

Make sure the new speakers are a good fit in the doors and if needs be seal the gaps round them with foam tape. You need an air-tight seal to get the low frequency without the cones bouncing and damaging the coils. If you get it right, you should be able to push the cones in very gently and they should come back out very slowly when you release the pressure. (switch off first) but be careful, or you will damage them. :cool:

Last edited:
  The Bus and MRT
OK thanks, I think the lack of bass is just down to the woofer connections having come loose on the left speaker, the right one sounds fine but the left one has no bass. I'm off to sort them all out in a second and replace the rear components, also need to secure the crossover somehow as it's rattling around in the right door.

I'm not sure if there is a proper seal so I'll have to take another look now in the light.

Pepsi, I thought the cross over effectively splits the low frequency from the high frequency, hence if one is already fitted and I'm now plugging another cross fader into the low frequency out put from the standard cross fader, there will be no high frequency for it to seperate off and effectively the new tweeters wont have anything runnining through them?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi, the crossovers dont SPLIT the frequency, they BLOCK them you are right in theory that if they are already Blocked you cant do any more Blocking. Trouble with the theory is, in practice you are changing the overal impedance and that has unpredictable effects.
Every maker/speaker is designed to roll off the frequencies at a carefully calculated point, if you change components (x-overs) you change the speakers performance and if you dont know how to do this precisely then you are on a hiding to nothing. Stick with what the makers supplied, or buy a scientific calculator.

The Bus and MRT
OK Cheers Brian, does the factory setup have crossovers fitted then and if so does anyone know where they are so I can cut them out?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Most of the factory fit systems I have come accross, just have a capacitor strapped across one of the speakers, normally the tweeter. Its a bit crude but it sort of works. If you can, replace the OEM tweeter with your custom fit ones and wire as per the instructions in the kit. The cross-over doesnt have to go in the door its possibly ea sier to fit it under the dash or on the A post kick panel. Keep the wires short and tidy and make sure the polarity is correct throughout. THIS IS VITAL. :cool:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Jo3y said:
OK Cheers Brian, does the factory setup have crossovers fitted then and if so does anyone know where they are so I can cut them out?

I have just had the dash top off my Sons 172 to remove the crap Cobra alarm and fit a Clifford (more details when I have finished)

During the process I had a look at the tweeters and can confirm the "crossover" if you can call it that, is on the back of the tweeter. Its just a capacitor to filter out the lower frequencies.
I also think that it would be possible to fit tweeters from component sets with a bit of care. The oem one is 50mm across.

You need to remove the dash top, but thats easy. :cool: