ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Lens!?

Megane
Hi all, :D

Borrowing my uncles Canon EOS 400D for my holiday, he wants a second lens for it, so to pay him back for letting me borrow it, I told him i'll do the foot work on finding a good second lens. He currently has the standard 18-55mm lens.

What do you guys recommend? Obviously doesnt want to spend that much dont know what lenses go for but he wants to spend no more than 150 I imagine. People seem to praise the Tamron 70-200?

Megane
Just general photography, its his first SLR will be used for scenery and family shots. Just been told the stock lense is crap. It wont be for taking pictures of fast moving cars or anything or close ups that require macro.

SchwepTek™
You just need a standard zoom "walkabout" lens then.

I have been looking at this and have read loads of reviews.

Seems like the Canon 17-85mm IS is supposed to be very good but slightly above budget around £200.

Nothing wrong with the kit lens for a beginner, people moan its crap but for anyone starting out its perfectly good.

Look at the EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod596.html

Is that any good. Fast focus?

I need a reasonable zoom for motorsport.

Brilliant lens, I've got one and its utterly supurb. Image stabilisation is spot on and produces crystal images. Very good for motorsport etc.

Mates GT3 taken on the autobahn (at speed!!) from another moving car (low res version and re sized of course);

Lambo on the 'Ring (catch fencing slightly in the way but focused through!)

Got plenty more but I can say its dead fast at focusing and can out perform lenses priced 3 times as much!

Last edited: