ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which oil for 8v 1.2?

J

jakm15

going to service the car in a few weeks time, which oil is best suited to the mk2 ph1 1.2 8v engine, most of my trips are short and from cold.

120d M Sport
5W gives the engine better protection from cold. I imagine you do a lot of short journeys and cold starts?

Halfords own 5w-40 is decent enough, Castrol has been known to make Renault engines sound a bit tappety.

J

jakm15

5W gives the engine better protection from cold. I imagine you do a lot of short journeys and cold starts?

Halfords own 5w-40 is decent enough, Castrol has been known to make Renault engines sound a bit tappety.

yeah mine sounds very tappy when cold, ill get some halfords own then, ye every journey is from cold and short, only a few long motorway journeys.

ITB'd MK1
rofl. just use 10w40 semi. with all due respect, its a low performance 1.2 8v. You dont need fancy oils. If it's tappy from cold, you probably need to get the tappets adjusted

J

jakm15

rofl. just use 10w40 semi. with all due respect, its a low performance 1.2 8v. You dont need fancy oils. If it's tappy from cold, you probably need to get the tappets adjusted

10w40 semi, sounds like a happy medium for me, i know its low performance but it still revs high and needs good protection, looking to keep the car for up to 3 more years and at 10 years old it needs some decent oil.

thanks for the help eveyone keep it comming

J

jakm15

im going to put in castrol 15w40, the engine allways seems to be running at a lower temperature when thats in so the oil must be doing its job

Lots of Alfas
On that engine you want the temperature to be higher, they struggle to get up to any decent temp, especially this time of year.

Clio 182 arctic
dont wana start a new thread so i wil just ask here. iv noticed that my engine sounds a bit 'tappy' as you put up. recent oilchange, valvoline 5w40 fs. could the oil cause something lie this. its when the car is warm and ideling i can hear it.