ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which oil?

2005 182 CUP
Hi,

Should I still be running my 05 182 with 55k on the clock on 5w 40 oil? Is this too thin should I maybe going to 10w40?

Any opinions welcome..

Westy. MX5
5w40 fully synthetic is the grade of oil and should always be that. Why do you think of changing to 10w40?

2005 182 CUP
Car had a oil change next day after I got it, and I noticed the oil level had dropped after 100ish miles..... Its not smoking at all so I guess wasnt fully topped up. Thought maybe oil was too thin?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
5w40, the cheaper the better and just change it often!

Westy. MX5
Needs to be the thin oil as you say to operate the dephaser and lube up the camshaft and associated lifters. As you say was prbably not topped up correctly, hopefully you have no oil leaks.

2005 182 CUP
No, when it went in to renault for the cambelt/oil change I asked them to look over it and said all was fine - Ill just top up and keep my eye on it.

2005 182 CUP
Just out of interest do these engines use oil during normal operation? I know some cars use X amount of oil per so may miles..

Westy. MX5
Some cars use a bit of oil and some don't, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong. If your car uses about 1/2litre in 5k miles then thats ok, any more then I would be worried. My 80k miler Cup hasn't used any oil in 2k miles and that included a track day.

172DD Cup
what oil do you lot use? i've read some of the opie oil threads and they mention that sometimes fully synthetic isn't always fully synthetic...

I use silkolene pro s (now called pro race s i think) or motul 300v. Both fully synthetic (both ester synthetic actually) the motul is better but a fair bit more expensive.

Clio 197
I have just bought some Carlube Triple R 5w40 fully synth for the bargain price of £21 from Euro Car Parts - it meets the renault RN0700 oil standard so that will do for me

What do people make of Castrol Edge oils? Just remember my last health check said it was low and figured I'd pick some up. Any brands more favourable than others?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
They are all the same, you can pay double the price for the same product in a different bottle. Don't waste your money.

There are two specifications that you should look for on any oil bottle and these are API (American Petroleum Institute) and ACEA all good oils should contain both of these on the bottle.

2003 Clio 172
Silkolene Pro S 5-40.............be prepared to bend over though

You might want to use some of the Silkolene when you do

:rasp:

Mk5 golf gti
5 w 40 carlube for £20 for 5 litres is the one to have

never understood paying top whack just change it often personally i do mine just after the 6 month mark

172DD Cup
clio_rt, i wouldn't know the different to be honest. only changed it on the weekend. i never really notice any difference with an oil change, just peace of mind that its done.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Mine had Millers 5w-40 CFS in it when i bought it 4 months ago, i have just bought a Renault oil filter and Shell Helix ultra 5w-40.