ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which one? Nikon or Canon

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I already own a Sony 10.1MP camera just looking for an SLR for the quality and lens features. What do people think Nikon D40x or the Canon equivilent? What do you own and could recommend?

Thanks!

Uh oh! lol.. Its like PS3 vs 360 for the photography section..

Just go into Jessops and see which feels most comfortable for you would be my advice!

Nikon +1.

D

dick

depends....

nikons body's are better generally....
but canon has a better lens line up and are cheaper than nikon equivalent.

but the digital rebels which you probly would be getting are cheap feeling and are not the best ergonomics ever, however they are small, which is handy.

go down jessops. have a play, see what you can afford, and like.

they have a sale on at the moment that ends in a few days so if theyre near targets they will give you a discount probly.

also when you go to jessops, dont try any lenses with hsm / usm if your not getting one with it. as you will be annoyed you dont have it!

also. i like "im just getting an slr for the image quality and lenses" LOL thats the point of an slr. you make it sound like its a minor reason for getting it!

but for me?....
canon +3.
not because i like the low end slr's. because i dont, i never did even when i had one. feel awful, look cheap. IQ is about equal though on either though.
but i knew id be moving up and could transfer the kit to the next body.

and ye im with nigel, i wish the d300 was a canon :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  A4 Avant
I've always bought Canon, until now. I've been seduced by the d300.

Its swings and roundabouts. Go to a camera store and see which feels better in your hands.

Suzuki Ignis
Nikon+2
What will you be using it for? If your wanting to experiment and get creative sometime in the future i would say go for a D80 if you can afford it as the D80 is compatable with the CLS(Creative Lighting System)
As for the D40x, it is a good camera to start with but as it doesnt have an internal motor you'll have to pay the extra for the lenses and you cant do the hole CLS thing with it. If your only going to be using it for snaps, what wrong with what you have? You can get just as good results with alot of compacts.
But as said go and have a play in stores.

Nikon D40 for me. Standard lens kit is very usuable. Have not heard anything good said about the 400d standar kit lens.

For £299 you cant go wrong. And 10mp? you dont need em. 6mp in an SLR is good enough.
Add £130 for the 55-200 VR lens and you have a lot of range covered for £430 which is damn good!

Read the reviews, try the cameras and go from there!

VaVa
I've seen the pics coming from the D40's with the kit lens and they look a lot sharper than anything I've taken with the Canon kit lens on my 350D.

When I bought mine it was between the 350D and the D50. I chose the Canon.

Which ever way you go you'll get a very good piece of kit. :approve:

Canon +6

(but buy the D40 :quiet: )

This all depends on your budget! I see a lot of people are suggesting the 40D.. thats not a cheap bit of kit!

D

dick

is the 400d better than a d40x?

for some.
not for others.

i typed a pretty comprehensive message saying they're much of a muchness.

theyre just different.
its like saying whats better, a corsa or a fiesta or a clio.

all im same price range, some prefer the feel and looks over another.
also your clearly not that bothered or you would type in google and read the millions of results that are around.

can someone make a sticky saying
"most entry level SLRs are the same, with a few minor differences and shapes. try them out in the shop and see which you like better"

as those keys are beggining to wear out on my keyboard.

Megane Mk4
Nikon here, but I made the mistake of NOT playing with a Cannon when I bought the Nikon so I can't give advice the other way :eek:

Go into a camera shop and play with the models and find out which feels easiest and best to handle and use.

Also you don't say your on a budget either, you could always hang back and see how the Nikon D60 is when it's released, thats 10 MP too, and maybe it might push the D40/40x down in price slightly too when it hits the shops.

Nikon here, but I made the mistake of NOT playing with a Cannon when I bought the Nikon so I can't give advice the other way :eek:

Go into a camera shop and play with the models and find out which feels easiest and best to handle and use.

Also you don't say your on a budget either, you could always hang back and see how the Nikon D60 is when it's released, thats 10 MP too, and maybe it might push the D40/40x down in price slightly too when it hits the shops.

+1 also went for the nikon without having a "play" with the cannon first, after a year i still feel i made the correct choice :)

Cupra
This all depends on your budget! I see a lot of people are suggesting the 40D.. thats not a cheap bit of kit!

I wasn't suggesting the 40D, I was just excited that it arrives within the week.

The 450D comes out in a month and a bit and has a quite a few new features over the 400D so it might be worth waiting for. The 400D prices will also take a hit I would have thought.

Whichever one you choose, bear in mind that once you go down the road of investing in lenses and flashes, it is not so easy to go back again.

top of the pyramid
Ive gone with the nikon because the body is more comfortable to hold as i have big hands ;) , and the equivilent canon is smaller.

But as everyone says go and try them both out in jessops and see what feels right.

A4 Avant
Size of teh 350d was the only issue it was too small for my hands, but i'd planned to buy the additional battery grip anyway which made the camera the perfect weight and size.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
is the 400d better than a d40x?

for some.
not for others.

i typed a pretty comprehensive message saying they're much of a muchness.

theyre just different.
its like saying whats better, a corsa or a fiesta or a clio.

all im same price range, some prefer the feel and looks over another.
also your clearly not that bothered or you would type in google and read the millions of results that are around.

can someone make a sticky saying
"most entry level SLRs are the same, with a few minor differences and shapes. try them out in the shop and see which you like better"

as those keys are beggining to wear out on my keyboard.

:nono:eek:i dick i have read the reviews but they mainly seem to put the d40x above the canon thats why i asked the question, sorry for upsetting you, your highness

D

dick

LOL! haha im only playing!

but seriously, ye the d40x may slightly have the edge. (its a nicer body, and comes with better kit lens, deffo, not gonna argue that. but id still take the canon)

but a bet a pound to a penny neither me or you could tell the difference when used with equivalent lenses. (not kit lenses, as nikons much better!)

A red missile
Very little to choose between the two, when I bought my first DSLR I went for the Canon 300D, about 6 months after the missus bought a Nikon D70, in those days the D70 was miles better, but these days its more down to preference, both brands make excellent cameras. Experts say that Nikon have the better lenses but Canon have better sensors, but as already said, take identical shots and it'd be hard for most to tell the difference. Best advice is go into Jessops and prod them both and see which suits you best, either will give excellent results.

But for me Canon every time.

Very little to choose between the two, when I bought my first DSLR I went for the Canon 300D, about 6 months after the missus bought a Nikon D70, in those days the D70 was miles better, but these days its more down to preference, both brands make excellent cameras. Experts say that Nikon have the better lenses but Canon have better sensors, but as already said, take identical shots and it'd be hard for most to tell the difference. Best advice is go into Jessops and prod them both and see which suits you best, either will give excellent results.

But for me Canon every time.

im sorry but canon l glass is astounding ever looked at a pack of photographers !! have a look and see if you see more white lenses than black ones

photographer.jpg

xinsrc_0020803311519031137865.jpg

I see plenty of black lens!!

Anyway... back to the real world of lenses we can afford without having to sell a kidney....

Nikon FTW ;)

he bought all the nikon camers :p

tbh the nikons are good i just dont get on with their software as well as the canon finding options seems hard on the nikons

the course i was doing out of 16 people 2 had nikons

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
LOL! Well I went down to Jessops today, had a play with a D40, D40x and a EOS 400d. My choice is the Canon, felt right in my hands, all Im stuck with now is the colour! Silver or Black....

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Damn...The outlet store doesnt have one in black! Only a silver one, Might just settle for it! How much should I pay for a 400d? Is 380 with a 18-55 lens decent?