ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Phone

Clio 172mk2
yer the actual supply is odd, but in couple of months it should be available main stream.

id have had the m8 if they put the buttons on bottom of phone instead of on screen

there was rumor of a new nexus which id like to see unless there holding out till next year for the silvers

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm actually worried about upgrading in September! Most of the flagships will have been out for months barring the 6. However the massive Note4 is out soon and may be worth looking at.

The M8 is nice to hold though, nicer than I thought it would be. The Z2 is the coolest, slick and lovely shape, the S5 fell down due to plastic style finish (it sounds like they're moving away from plastic for the note 4 and possibly the S5 Prime) i'd still own an S5 but do I wanted a dated phone?

That Stuff website is fantastic though if you guys are looking for a proper look into some of the phones mentioned.

Why am I put off with the HTC Tom? Convince me, I feel like i'm missing something in comparison to the nice Z2, maybe i'm basing it on looks.

Ph 1 172
Well I upgrade last week went from my iPhone 5s too a HTC m8..... Wish I had done the change over sooner to be honest. Everything seems just as good if not better. Only thing that's taking a while to get used to is the web browser.

1 thing I don't like and it's minor really is the silent switch on the side of the iPhone's used to use that all the time and saved going through menus to make the phone silent

Would wellrecomend a m8 though

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Big difference is the age of both tbf but I see your point.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thing that worries me is L.

It's a lovely update, looks superb. But Sony, HTC and Samsung will bury it on phones and tablets. While the wearables and the tv solutions can't have skins applied leaving you with a inconsistent UI. Why google haven't put an end to skinning is plain strange. It's one of the few reasons I'm not moving over.

I've spent a long time with dads M8 now and this week I bought him a dot view case which is extremely cool.

It's such a good phone, near iPhone build and probably the best non stock skin on the market in sense 6.0.

But that camera is unforgivable. My 5S dicks all over it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The rumours around Google Silver are quite interesting. It proposes a set of standards to android and limits the manufacturer interference into the OS.

Stick to the guidelines and Google will help you with development and your phone will be displayed on Google silver stands in phone shops (amongst other benefits). They will also be dictating that updates have to be within certain timescales of the GPE release.

It should make for a more consistent Android OS across the manufacturers. I do however hope they release one more Nexus model before they scrap it. If not for me getting another year with nice perfectly stock android, just to bridge the numbers gap between the Nexus 5 and 7.

Should make a few people change over to android eventually.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
99% of those last 2 posts went right over my head!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I hope silver is an internal code name for something better.

I'd love it to be something else and I'll be pretty gutted if they stop making their own stock phones (well getting others to make them for them). It'd be nice to see something massively game changing come out of Google but even if they implement what is rumoured then I think it'll be a big leap forward for the Android market and will hopefully mean there is a much wider selection of devices to choose from without having to root them and install GPE ROM's on them.

Although that said I need my phone rooted anyway but always install a GPE ROM just with the root privileges check taken out.

Any ideas on what you'd like Silver to be, Tom?

Clio 172mk2
i thought they was still going to do there own phone still but it was going to be a very premium product.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd love it to be something else and I'll be pretty gutted if they stop making their own stock phones (well getting others to make them for them). It'd be nice to see something massively game changing come out of Google but even if they implement what is rumoured then I think it'll be a big leap forward for the Android market and will hopefully mean there is a much wider selection of devices to choose from without having to root them and install GPE ROM's on them.

Although that said I need my phone rooted anyway but always install a GPE ROM just with the root privileges check taken out.

Any ideas on what you'd like Silver to be, Tom?

I was more than happy with the direction the nexus program was taking, i don't see a reason to stop doing that.

Skinning is quite frankly a lazy differentiator, you can push the boundaries without resorting to making your phone look like it has elements of other OS's when the one you are running looks f**king awesome in stock form.

I'd like silver to be like the one program they talked about at I/O, reference hardware with proper support.