ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which speakers????

corsa D / 172 clio
hi everyone
i am thinking of upgrading the speakers in my 182 and am wondering what speakers you lot would recommend?
been looking at some focal components but the choice is staggering (and some of the prices):eek:
i think im going to wiggle some 17cm into the front doors
ive got a alpine mrv-f505 4 channel amp to run what ever i get and a small kgc4042a kenwood graphic.
any input or suggestions will most appreciated guys (and gals)

cheers:D

182, Mk1 Golf Gti
Hi Chris,

Im just in the process of installing a basic system in my 182. I will get some pictures up at the weeked.

My system consists of Focal 30th Anniversary 165v30 17cm components, Alpine 117ri headunit, JL 600/4 amplifier, JBL MS8 and JL CP108LG-W3v3 sub.

The mids I have fitted to the doors using mdf baffles, tweeters on the dash with modified grilles so it looks OEM. Amp location hasn't been decided yet.

I've had quite a few speakers in the past DLS, CDT, Genesis, Rainbow, Hertz, Morel and loads of other brands but the Focals to me have always sounded sweet with good midbass / mid range if mounted correctly ;). The tweeters are known to be quite sharp but aren't really designed to be on axis e.g. pointing directly at you so on the dash pointing upwards is fine or custom mounted in the A pillars.

The Clio 182 is quite new to me but has similarities to the Clio Williams I had before so I have a lot of tweaking to do before I can get my system to sound right.

ph1 172
I used to have the "start of the range" Focal components A1's and their performance was fantastic. IMO to get the same/similar quality from Hertz I found they were double the price. Have a listen in your local audio shop to various components and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the "cheapest" Focals. My opinion of course :)

corsa D / 172 clio
Rich.
thanks for the info mate i look forward to seeing the pictures of what you have done.

Rhys Beal
also thanks for the input mate i was wondering about the huge price range on the focals but from what you say it sounds like the lower/mid end models might suit what im looking for without causing my mrs to leave me due to yet more "mass expenditure on the car" lol bless her!!

ph1 172
They are a very good speaker also. I really think you cannot go wrong with Focal. And in regards to the rms wattage, don't worry. You will be absolutely fine running them as you intend to.

What subwoofer are you running Chris?

corsa D / 172 clio
i am not planning on running a subwoofer mate but i do have a pair of infinity kappa 6 x 9 that are in custom boxes in the boot as i didn't want to do the old parcel shelf cutting trick!
if it is recommended to get a sub i would go for a decent 10 inch i think.
ive got a alpine 250 watt (max) amp that i could use for the sub if needs be tho cant remember the model number but will find it out tonight as im off to work now.
thanks for all the info mate your a star!

ITB BG 182
Rich - when you come to cutting the doorcard to fit the speakers do a full detailed guide on it.
I am also looking to upgrade from the 5.25 to the 6.5 inch speakers on the fronts, Focals are brilliant speakers and run fine from just the head unit then also better when amped.

Chris P - I have a nice little Alpine type R 10" sub if ya want one, its currently in a solid box that was made by a friend and it pounds for a little un.

ph1 172
i am not planning on running a subwoofer mate but i do have a pair of infinity kappa 6 x 9 that are in custom boxes in the boot as i didn't want to do the old parcel shelf cutting trick!
if it is recommended to get a sub i would go for a decent 10 inch i think.
ive got a alpine 250 watt (max) amp that i could use for the sub if needs be tho cant remember the model number but will find it out tonight as im off to work now.
thanks for all the info mate your a star!

Personally I would run a sub and leave the 6x9's as you want the sound/vocals coming towards you rather than all over the car, better acoustics this way. Also you will find with running a pair of Focals through an amp that they will produce fantastic highs and mids but barely any bass. This is exactly what you want as its the subwoofers job to produce the bass. I would run a JL Audio W3 10" sub in a sealed enclosure with a half decent amp. You can have a great speaker but the amp determines the quality just as much so maybe look at getting a pretty good amp to match with the W3. Make sure you have decent cable too.
Just out of interest, what headunit are you running Chris?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I swapped my speakers out the other day and was shocked at how light the original speakers are made! They are made from the lightest plastic possible with the smallest magnet in the world!

ITB BG 182
Also dont buy into the caraudiocentre crap, unless you have a mate whose worked there and will let you have some thing at cost price, then it aint worth it.

Hands down everytime when it comes to anything car audio wise - www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
All depends on your budget, I run JL Audio Vr series components up front 15cm running from a JL g4600 amp and an alpine type x 10 in a sealed box running from a JL gmax. Sounds fantastic. But it's quite expensive. Also to run 17cm up front you will need to make some spacers from mdf to bring the speaker out from the window when it's open.

corsa D / 172 clio
Rhys beal im running a alpine cde-9845r mate i got it cheap off of e bay (£48) and it was a huge improvement over the standard head unit!
if i go for a sub in a sealed box how big would the box need to be (i don't really want a boot that is full of box!!) lol

ph1 172
Basically to get great quality sound from your system you need a good foundation, which is your headunit. Acute ears can tell the difference but generally you will be okay.
You don't need a massive box. There is an optimum size per woofer but there are ways round keeper a smaller box and good sound. Get a well made sturdy MDF box and ensure that it is completely sealed! And you can fill it with a wadding to give it a deeper, punchier bass. Which is what I had and it works very well as I ran two 12" Alpine DDDrive in a small box with good results.