ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Tablet?

Countryman JCW
Looking to buy a tablet in the next week or so.

My use of the tablet will be

- Streaming Skygo
- Streaming films
- Streaming Catchup TV
- Browsing the internet
- Youtube

My ex had an Ipad which i used all the time for this, but i couldnt stream films off the internet. So my question is really, do i go for something like a Galaxy Tab3 so i can stream the films, or do i admit defeat on streaming films and get myself an Ipad.

Im not sure of the benefits of an Ipad over a Galaxy other than you can stream films.

Ipads are coming in at around £350
Galaxy's are coming in at around £185

Ross

You can stream films on iPads. I assume you're talking about filthy pirate movies..

I haven't bothered, as I'm happy with Netflix - but I'm sure I've seen threads here where people are using sites like Afdah after a bit of a faff.

I was under the impression that SkyGo doesn't work on rooted tablets, however you don't need a rooted device to have fun.

I have a Note 10.1 (the old one) that's been surprisingly good to a point where I can't be arsed to upgrade it yet. I've quietly rooted mine and installed Cyanogen mod on it, but I'm an awkward c**t.
Beyond that pretty much all Android devices will do the above. If you can stretch you'll enjoy playing with things like the Asus Transformers but it depends how much you want to spend really.

Got a couple of NAS devices lurking in the house with all the TV shows and 1080p movies you could shake a stick at on them. The NAS(es?) have DLNA servers built in so it makes streaming directly to the tablet or throwing movies at (and controlling) the TV (or any other DLNA devices) dead simple.

I used to have an iPad 3rd gen which was a very nice device, but I found the Note was more willing to bend to my will and after installing MX Player and VLC it streams every single format I have.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
iPad.

Android tablets are still horrible. Even if they cost £1, you've wasted £1 on something that's fit for the bin in 6 months.

However if you are of a similar mindset to the gentleman above me, then maybe android is the way to go.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I've been using an Asus Memopad 400 with windows 8.1 on it, seems to work quite well with a chromecast

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'll be swapping my iPad for the new nexus 10 when it comes out. I love my nexus 5 and the only thing I use my iPad for really is web browsing, so I'll go for the cheaper alternative next time

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Galaxy Tab 2, whilst it's OK for what I want, which is basically just watching films when away, it isn't a patch on the ipad.

I only paid £70 iirc, so not expensive, and the reason I'm not more hacked off with it, is that it's 1/6 the price of the ipad.

I find android very laggy on it.

But, for watching films in hotel rooms, it's fine.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Nexus 7. s**ts on ipads.

This. Steer clear of Samsungs, get a Google device so you'll always be running the latest version of Android as soon as it's available. The Nexus is fast, has decent screen, good battery life, you can massively increase the available memory with a USB OTG cable (few quid) and a flash drive, and MUCH cheaper than ipad. You can also get a wireless charger for it. And no "Itax" on all the accessories and cables.

2014 Focus Titanium
iPad.

Android tablets are still horrible. Even if they cost £1, you've wasted £1 on something that's fit for the bin in 6 months.

However if you are of a similar mindset to the gentleman above me, then maybe android is the way to go.

Eh? The 2013 Nexus 7 is brilliant.

Asus transformer pad here , multi expandable massive battery life , has usb ports and does everything i have thrown at it .

My ipad is rarely touched

Oh and it has a screen that plays movies properly as its proper widescreen

Countryman JCW
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems a bit of a mixed bag?

If the Ipad will do all the things i mentioned above, id rather pay the premium for one even if it means doing a little tinkering. I have an iphone and quite like the usability of apple products. But im not fussed if its not going to fit the bill and i need to try somethign else! Having daid that... perhaps my limited use of the Ipad i used before was down to the device itself limiting me, and if i try something like an android device, i may start to use it for more than just films/tv/web browsing...

Thanks for the replies re: the galaxy... il have a look at the google based stuff now then! is the Nexus the daddy?

Get an iPad, jailbreak it and get MovieBox.

What is moviebox? if the ipad is jail broken, does that mean i can stream films from the internet (the filthy pirate verions yes ;))... i was always under the impression that they dont work because of the flash player or something? sorry im not very technical at all chaps!

Renault Clio MK3
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems a bit of a mixed bag?

If the Ipad will do all the things i mentioned above, id rather pay the premium for one even if it means doing a little tinkering. I have an iphone and quite like the usability of apple products. But im not fussed if its not going to fit the bill and i need to try somethign else!

Thanks for the replies re: the galaxy... il have a look at the google based stuff now then! is the Nexus the daddy?

What is moviebox? if the ipad is jail broken, does that mean i can stream films from the internet (the filthy pirate verions yes ;))... i was always under the impression that they dont work because of the flash player or something? sorry im not very technical at all chaps!

Movie box Is an app you can get once you have jailbroken your iPad and is one of the best streaming services I've used. Always has the latest films and tv series in good quality. (Of course don't use it though because it's the filthy pirate version)

Countryman JCW
Movie box Is an app you can get once you have jailbroken your iPad and is one of the best streaming services I've used. Always has the latest films and tv series in good quality. (Of course don't use it though because it's the filthy pirate version)

Haha, when you say latest films/tv series, are we talking currently out in the cinema ? or on things like Sky etc?

Renault Clio MK3
Haha, when you say latest films/tv series, are we talking currently out in the cinema ? or on things like Sky etc?

Yes currently out. Occasionally you'll get one that hasn't even been realised in the cinema too.

And the best bit, not a single cam video!

Countryman JCW
Yes currently out. Occasionally you'll get one that hasn't even been realised in the cinema too.

And the best bit, not a single cam video!

Sounds good to me... i guess the only thing for me to do now is have a look at the Android tablets everyone has mentioned and see which i prefer i guess?

- Asus Transformer
- Nexus (latest version)
- IPAD (latest version)
- Surface 2

Pro's / Con's of these anyone?

The Nexus im liking the sound of at the moment based on its movie view capabilities... id also like to be able to take it with me to mates houses and plug into their TV's if we are watching the footy and they havent got Sky for instance

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sounds good to me... i guess the only thing for me to do now is have a look at the Android tablets everyone has mentioned and see which i prefer i guess?

- Asus Transformer - Terrible
- Nexus (latest version) Good
- IPAD (latest version) Best
- Surface 2 LOL, no.

Pro's / Con's of these anyone?

The Nexus im liking the sound of at the moment based on its movie view capabilities... id also like to be able to take it with me to mates houses and plug into their TV's if we are watching the footy and they havent got Sky for instance

You won't be outputting Sky Go without a hack, the app disables video out.

TBH, it sounds like you need an xbox 360.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Its a bit like comparing a 25K car with a 100k car. Both perfectly good at what they do, people make their own choices.

Countryman JCW
You won't be outputting Sky Go without a hack, the app disables video out.

TBH, it sounds like you need an xbox 360.

Yeah i know about that one, have tried a million times, dont think there is a way to do this. Im not sure you can video out with any other tablet can you ? Xbox as far as im aware is the only thing that would be worth buying for this... shame Playstation dont do it !

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
If looking at a Nexus, the 2nd gen 10 (1st gen is overdue a refresh, been out of stock a while) or possibly an 8 may get announced at the Google I/O event 25th-26th June. So might be worth hanging on for a bigger screen size and better performance. And if it's built by HTC (some rumors it will be) it should have a more premium feel than the Asus models.

- Surface 2 LOL, no.

and exactly which version of transformer is that comparing , how many of those other can play 720p for a solid 15 hours , the ipad screen is a stupid shape so not great for films ,

how many of those can you watch fims off a portable hard drive

how many of those can you stick a full size sd card in out of your camera

how many will take 2 sd cards for a huge memory size

how many have usb ports making them more useful than "just a tablet"

how many come with a real keyboard which you can remove if you want ?

someone needs to maybe take the apple from out of their arse , and look at how many tablets people own ( 3 for me )

and the surface tab is an asus with a different OS is it not ?

Clio 172
My dad out it quite well when I was tablet shopping, my criteria was the same as yours. My choices after lots of faffing, reading and actually having a play with them were:

new ipad mini with retina
google nexus 7 two

If money was a big factor the nexus would have won because bang for buck you can't go far wrong. As money wasn't a factor I paid for the brand and got the new mini. I love it and live on it. Chrome cast to the TV so no need for Apple TV and I stream through netflix. If I want a film for when I'm away in hotels I download it and save it to the iPad for later so no issues with dodgy streaming sites. Perfect size as well.

Jack

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
- Surface 2 LOL, no.

and exactly which version of transformer is that comparing , how many of those other can play 720p for a solid 15 hours , the ipad screen is a stupid shape so not great for films ,

how many of those can you watch fims off a portable hard drive

how many of those can you stick a full size sd card in out of your camera

how many will take 2 sd cards for a huge memory size

how many have usb ports making them more useful than "just a tablet"

how many come with a real keyboard which you can remove if you want ?

someone needs to maybe take the apple from out of their arse , and look at how many tablets people own ( 3 for me )

and the surface tab is an asus with a different OS is it not ?

Personally I don't do any of that.

All my media is on a plex server, I can access it whenever I want wherever I want.

I'm not plugging in a HDD to my tablet and watching films off that. Even if it's a thumb drive it's still not an elegant solution.

Don't have a camera so SD is out.

If you desperately need a keyboard then you need a laptop, not some half baked hybrid.

11" MacBook Air would probably sort you right out son.

It's amusing that everyone gets so defensive with crazy functionality that nobody uses. I seem to remember you being a firm believer that the Atrix was the future and look what a load of s**t that was

You want a decent tablet that will last a couple of years, get an iPad simple as that.

If you don't have the money for an iPad then a nexus 7 will do the job competently.

Anything else is just garbage.

Do I need to write IMO? Or does everyone understand how opinions work?

I dont need a laptop , i can do all i need a decent keyboard for on a tablet , if on a 3 week trip where sometimes there is limited wifi (africa for example multiple times) then i do need access to large amounts of data and films on a hdd i will carry , i also back up photos to it that i couldnt on an ipad.
The atrix was brilliant and i used mine till there was an alternative , when the transformer came outt with decent spec .

As for apple products , too restrictive , too expensive for what they are and not the intuitive peaces of kit they are led to be

Daily i usu ios on an ipad i hate , android on an lg g2 and winmobile 8 on a lumina 925 so have a valid range of products to draw experience from ,and the amount of apple users i find defecting to android is huge.

Look at the nexus 5 phone thread for people seeing the light

Oh and tell me what other products came close to the atrix in its first year , first dual core phone for starters