ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which turbo to pick

Clio 172 ph2
Ok so basically last month the turbo went on the Clio. And due to work circumstances I really could afford to send the car where I wanted it to go to get repaired.

Anyway managed to get a start selling Audi’s the other day so hopefully fresh start for next year.

Now back to the turbo [emoji23]. So because I am
On a tight budget just now as probably most of us are at this time of year and having three kids who basically want every toy and game that comes on tv I am having to get a replacement Chinese replica turbo which was in fact what was on the car in the first place 2871 to be exact.

So done the usual on eBay but there’s a few to pick from and there anywhere from £115/160 or there abouts. So what I am asking is could someone give me a hand picking the best(correct one to fit the car) no doubt they will all fit and Ano there Chinese so I am not expecting a Garrett unit in any way just want the best Chinese replica one to pick from if that makes sense[emoji2955]. Or even if someone has one for sale or knows another site or a link please let me know.

So put a few links below. To add yes I know the 2871 might be a tad big but I just don’t have the funds at this moment in time to spend the money on mapping and a Garrett turbo but that’s not to say I won’t early next year.

So here they are.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/162337332870
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/282823265965
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153179944586
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152778782926

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 ph2
How much will a replacement CHRA cost you for the existing turbo?

Well the local tuner down my way said it would cost £590 for him to get the turbo fixed and a 360degree bearing which I think is hell of expensive considering it’s a Chinese replica. So would better just buying a brand new unit

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
oh right, I assumed the original was a Garret unit, didn't read the OP fully.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I would be tempted to hang fire and get a genuine garrett. Chinese special turbo might fail straight away, the quality is all over the shop.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its worth spending the extra dollar all day long

A few years ago i spent £500 3 times over rebuilding a hybrid garrett t28. It failed due to basically been shiny shite 2nd hand shot blasted components - last time round the exhaust impellor sheared off which really pissed me off so stumped up £700ish for a brand new Garrett gt2560r.

Still running the same garrett gt series now several years later and still like new. Buy cheap buy twice or more sadly mate !

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Couldn't say 100% mate, the previous one was a no-name Chinese turbo right??

Does your manifold take a T2 flange turbo?
What design is the turbo elbow? 5 bolt like the ones in the eBay adverts?

s-l500.jpg

The Disco Potato should be alrite;

374rfkdr-jpg.jpg

I can't remember if the S14 T28 is 4 bolt or 5 bolt elbow though, pretty sure it's 5-bolt but best double check.
If you're fitting a different sized turbo obviously you'll need to setup the boost control and get it mapped again.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 ph2
Couldn't say 100% mate, the previous one was a no-name Chinese turbo right??

Does your manifold take a T2 flange turbo?
What design is the turbo elbow? 5 bolt like the ones in the eBay adverts?

View attachment 1398107

The Disco Potato should be alrite;

View attachment 1398108

I can't remember if the S14 T28 is 4 bolt or 5 bolt elbow though, pretty sure it's 5-bolt but best double check.
If you're fitting a different sized turbo obviously you'll need to setup the boost control and get it mapped again.

Yeah that’s the same fitment as mines. Can it still be driven without the map? I don’t mean driving it hard but maybe the odd trip out untill after Xmas till I get it mapped?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Possibly, do you know anything about the size of the previous turbo?

The Disco Potato specs are:

Compressor: inlet 47.2mm / outlet 60.1mm / trim 62 / 0.60 A / R
Turbine: diameter 53.9mm / trim 76 / 0.64 A / R

Comp-Map-GT-2860RS.jpg

Turbine-Flow-GT28.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
All I know is that it was a 2871 Chinese rep that’s it.

Well given that out of the 4 eBay links you posted, there are 3 different specs going on it could be anything.

Safest thing to do is get it mapped before going anywhere.

Clio 172 ph2
Finally found a new turbo got what I hope is a god deal from one of the chaps from drift-works it’s a Garret gt2860 from what I believe.anages to pick it up for £135 pics below[emoji51]
5c718ad142e905c6f17def21317c68ae.jpg
470fbf622f5659f951cc5f635a593c7d.jpg
df9e970475da60062eeaae830c4d8f95.jpg
a2bdadac818f4600cfd35f9b224f43e3.jpg
2702477a634a8cfab07755f5e5730640.jpg
a02174e9afad0c7de3dbfff576b4f2da.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's got a tag and serial number, double check them cos the GT2560 and GT2860 look almost identical and people often get the two confused.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Will deffo need a map, the T28 is abit smaller than the 2871R (copy) you had been running.
On the SR20 engine these make 290-300bhp at full puff

Do you have an intake snout for it?

Clio 172 ph2
Will deffo need a map, the T28 is abit smaller than the 2871R (copy) you had been running.

On the SR20 engine these make 290-300bhp at full puff

Yeah after new year will get it down to Chris for mapping. Good buy tho plus it’s a genuine unit.

Mines was running 252bhp with the copy 2871 that was on it so a will be happy for similar figures with the new unit

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
That looks a bit oily on the exhaust wheel from the pics mate, check that carefully it might be a smoker..

Clio 172 ph2
That looks a bit oily on the exhaust wheel from the pics mate, check that carefully it might be a smoker..

The turbo is getting sent to bloke on here to get a look over so if it needs sorting he will let me know but still for £135 a good buy in my eyes lol

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
With a flange change you can get lots of reasonably priced turbos like something from the vast TD04 range, these are cheap enough to be disposable - although they will likely outlast anything from China.

dan's cast offs.
With a flange change you can get lots of reasonably priced turbos like something from the vast TD04 range, these are cheap enough to be disposable - although they will likely outlast anything from China.

compared to the garrett they just don't make the power, even the hybrids aren't much cop.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
compared to the garrett they just don't make the power, even the hybrids aren't much cop.

True, but they aren't so bad if you choose a sensible model. TBH if I wanted to make as much power as I possibly could I wouldn't choose any of the turbos mentioned above :) The TD04 suggestion is purely because they work and are nearly free.

dan's cast offs.
True, but they aren't so bad if you choose a sensible model. TBH if I wanted to make as much power as I possibly could I wouldn't choose any of the turbos mentioned above :) The TD04 suggestion is purely because they work and are nearly free.

true but the cheap ones tend to be past their best, plus the neck needs chopping and turning to work with the 182 upper inlet (wouldn't fit on a log manifold so you'd run the meg manifold)

182 Turbo
does the efi boost module have a boost solenoid and able to alter boost levels? or was you running 252 bhp on the wastegate pressure on that 2871 chinese turbo?

182 Turbo
neat.

Garya88 do you have a dyno graph for that 252 bhp , im interested in how the powers delivered on the 2871 rep

Clio 172 ph2
Pretty nice powerband actually, nothing to aggressive and quite linear almost like a very powerful n/a

Yeah was a joy to drive with that turbo to be honest never drove anything quite like it. It’s nothing like a n/a Clio 172/182 at all. Even the sound from it it’s not screaming at 7k. Very smooth power delivery but at the same time you can tell that it’s shifting.

Can’t wait to get this new turbo on then get it down to Chris for mapping.

Long term plans will be forged engine oil cooler full suspension set up. And try to make it lighter than it is lol. 300 is the aim tbh but with 252 it’s one hell of a car and it not much can touch it.
Infact since I have owned the car nothing has came close.

Was planning on a smaller turbo but because of Xmas and having three kids my budget was very tight so wen i seen this turbo for £135 I jumped on it to get what I think is a fair deal. But hopefully next year more plans and some track days