ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which would be the best suspension for me??

i am thinking of uprating the suspension on my 172, but what would be the best? Im not really after slamming it on its ring! just really after better handling and a lower stance. Ive been reading a few things on the forum but am still not sure, so far my options are probably either FK highsports, AP APF coilovers, (not sure if these are the right fitment for a bog standard 172) or KTR coilovers off the k-tech website, which are the cheaper option! My budget Isn't massive either. Any advice is much appreciated, or if there are any that i haven't seen just let me know. Cheers...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd say no coilovers. I'd suggest proline springs with Koni dampers. Thats the 'best' road set up

172/1.2/E30
AP coils are quite comfy, but not as much lows (especially on the rear). Had them on my 172 and they are great for the price. FKs bring the car way lower but have a harder setup, have them for about 50k miles on my 1.2 and they are still awesome (looks and handling wise). The 172 is getting H&R coilovers with ´Ring setup but i guess they are above your limits (got mine second hand).

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ap's are pretty comfy ride, plenty of low too, butnot really really low on the rear

ap's might be the one to go for then I'm thinking! although i can get the FK ones really quite cheap :) its going to be a tough decision!

i was reading something about the koni adjustable's and it said you shouldnt use springs that lower the car more than 25mm is this true or is there different spec ones??

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ap's are good, im very impressed. may be worth getting camber adjustment bolts if you plan on going lower than like 65/70mm. but if you can get FKs cheap then you may aswell get them :)

i have no idea about the konis

172/1.2/E30
APs have camber bolts includded, FKs have wider holes for camber adjustment. Koni shocks need to be shortened to run with "lower" springs.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Heres my 2 pence. Buy the AP APF coilover. FK's are great but the quality is not as good as other brands (AP is owned by KW automotive). We've had a few now which had seals go and its a PITA trying to sort suspension out on warranty as it takes a car out of action. Piece of mind is worth a few quid more. The Konigsport is better but thats more expensive.

Kev

clio sport 172
i've got on my 172 AP coilovers and they are great (quality + handling + hardness). i 've got the clio in nose-down stance, and yes they can go really low-front and back (i don't need the TUV), on the rear the you can only put the finger between the arch and wheel.
and my other setup is : all new complete suspension (track rods, engine mounts, top mounts...) + powerflex wishbone, dogbone, arb bushes + 20mm spacers per wheel.
you get with them camber bolts and mine are set on -1 degree both sides. it handles like it's on rails.
keep in mind i had before koni yellow adjustable shocks + springs and this is way superior to those.
hope it helps

172 Cup
If its for road use, a set of eibach springs with some koni shocks or new OE Shocks will be great, spend the rest of the money you would have spent on coilovers on new mounts, bushes and brakes ;)

Mk5 golf gti
If its for road use, a set of eibach springs with some koni shocks or new OE Shocks will be great, spend the rest of the money you would have spent on coilovers on new mounts, bushes and brakes ;)

+1 even with OE shocks and eibachs its a good set up

or add a whiteline ARB or similar then thats a perfect set up

thanks for the help everybody, think im going to go for the AP's might leave it a while to save up though as ive booked a holiday, and thats going to be an expensive doo for me!!!