ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whine when accelerating and turning?

Renaultsport Clio 172
Hello

Bit of a problem with my 172....in 1st and second gear when turning there is a whine (like the car sounds like when it's reversing) coming from the front right of the engine bay looking from the drivers seat.

It only occurs when the engine is on, and only occurs when the accelerator is applied.

Power steering level is full, perhaps a little over max

Cambelt job inc all belts and pulleys was done about 50 miles ago and it was doing it before that

power steering itself works fine

Any ideas?!

Last edited:
Edit re-read properly. When you say in first and second gear, you mean when your moving you get the noise???

Last edited:
  Renaultsport Clio 172
Does it when the car is in neutral too.

Gearbox whine from the diff - what's the diff and can this be ruled out if it does it in neutral?

I was thinking it could be the Power steering pump?

Yea sorry it just threw me when you said in first and second, and coming from the front right I assumed you meant when you was accellerating.

Did you get the Aux belt and all the pulleys done with the cambelt?? Have seen the aux belt idlers fail and the bearing squeels sometimes.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Whoops, sorry, meant as you are sitting in the drivers seat the whining noise is on the RIGHT side of the engine bay

Need to learn my left and right or think before I type :)

Whoops, sorry, meant as you are sitting in the drivers seat the whining noise is on the RIGHT side of the engine bay

Need to learn my left and right or think before I type :)

Yea that did throw me a bit!

When you had the belts done did they not hear the noise and check all the pulleys while the belts were off?

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
Yea sorry it just threw me when you said in first and second, and coming from the front right I assumed you meant when you was accellerating.

Did you get the Aux belt and all the pulleys done with the cambelt?? Have seen the aux belt idlers fail and the bearing squeels sometimes.

Deffo sounds like the aux belt to me, if it's making the noise when turning the wheel.

I went to see a clio sport and soon as i started the engine it was whinning from the drivers side of the engine on full lock both directions.

Renaultsport Clio 172
If it was indeed the aux belt, wouldn't the whine be there when not turning the wheel too??

Basically the whine is only there when I do two things at the same time - accelerate and turn.

So Im thinking PAS pump rather than aux belt.

Where is the PAS pump located?

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
If it was indeed the aux belt, wouldn't the whine be there when not turning the wheel too??

Basically the whine is only there when I do two things at the same time - accelerate and turn.

So Im thinking PAS pump rather than aux belt.

Where is the PAS pump located?

Haynes manual lol?

Sorry i don't know where the pas pump is exactly, are they expensive?

clio 182 +206 2.0hdi+avan
im in same boat as op, loud steering whine when accelerating and turning sounds like a super charger.

if it was the pas pump surely it would whine whent he car was stationary??

Renaultsport Clio 172
With mine whine is still there when stationary as long as I'm revving the engine and turning at the same time.

Can get a used PAS pump with 3 month warranty for £30 - get in touch with Cit-Ren.

Looking for 182
I know this is a few months old now but I have the exact same issue. Picked up an 2004 182 today (my first Clio) and I have a whining noise when turning at low speeds or when turning the wheel whilst stationary. It also whines ever so slightly when stationary even if I am not touching the wheel. Oh, and I had the car cut out on me when moving at about 1mph with steering on full lock.

Could this be the PAS pump?

Last edited:
  PH2 Clio 172
I have a similar whine on my 172. I think it probably is the PAS pump, however I did read somewhere that 172s do suffer from this due to a fairly restrictive PAS return pipe, this was apparently changed for a bigger bore pipe on 182s. This info came from a RS Clio buying guide (can hunt for it if required).