ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining noise from 182

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi,

Got in the car today and on starting up there was a constant whining noise from engine bay. It appears to be from around the altenator and it gets louder when the accelerator is pressed. The noise stayed all day, even after it had warmed up. Never had this noise before, any ideas? The car has done 43k with full history..

Cheers

Stu

S3, HD Nightster
It sounds like you have the same problem as me. I've been led to believe that its probably the idler bearing on aux belt!

If you can find the part cheaper great!

The below is what Mike@Rentech did basicaly...

its not an engine out job, you just need a very thin ratchet/socket combo or a swan neck spanner, undo the 13mm bolt and it'll come off, then youve got to struggle with it to get the belt back on, its possible if you've done them before, i fitted mine in my lunch, with time to go and get a coffee after, that was a 30min lunch too.

RenaultSport clio 182
Cheers folks, glad it doesn't seem too serious..

Is it ok to drive till I get a chance to sort it..?

S3, HD Nightster
I bought the set as it was the same price as the bearing on its own from Renault, plus I dont have any record of the aux belt being changed in my service history and would like the piece of mind!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
just keep it in mind that if the belt comes off there is a 99% chance it will take the cam belt with it