ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHO HAS A POWER BOOST VALVE

Jamie,

Not got one on my Clio but did have an FSE boost valve on my 1.9 205, I found it made no difference at all. I took it to a very reputable tuning company and they said unless you opt for larger injectors to compensate for the fuel increase they are a waste of time and dosh! I was gutted :(

My mate had one on his old Nova GTE. It definately increased throttle response, but didnt increase power.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Got one on my 1800 16v had it fitted and set up at hillpower at the same time the injectors were cleaned and a set of magnicore leads fitted. between all these my car reved alot better was alot smoother and generally alot nicer to drive. Wether the pbv made any difference i dont no as like i say i had a few things done at the same time.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

its just handy to be able to adjust fuelling if u got cams etc. wont do a great deal else!

ive got one on my valver, it has made very little difference except maybe abit smoother.not worth getting unless wot every1 else has said 2 adjust the fuelling.

BMW 320d Sport

In itself its not really worth thinking about as a standalone mod like some kind of bolt-on free power thing. I think the names a bit misleading. In the boy racer catalogues and mags its called a PBV. In proper motorsport catalogues its just an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, because thats all it does. Whether it boosts power or not is not down to the PBV itself, its down to what you use it for. So lets say you have somehow significantly increased the amount of air/oxygen that your engine is using and you need to match that with extra fuel - whether that be through forced induction, nitrous, headwork, inlet tract mods, throttle bodies, wild cams, whatever. If you need to increase the baseline fuel pressure then a PBV will do it. On certain standardish engines a slight tweak may reveal slight improvements. but a PBV is only worth considering once youve done a few more proper mods to the engine and need the adjustability of the PBV to get your air fuel ratios right.

I guess the key thing to remember is that extra fuel on its own is useless. In fact its worse than useless because it will richen the mix and quite likely lose you power. You must maintain the correct air/fuel ratio and if you want to make more power out of the same engine you need to increase the amount of air AND the amount of fuel. One or the other on its own is a waste of time and if taken to extremes will damage your engine. BTW Sorry if Im telling you stuff you already know!:D