ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who here has had a SuperChip fitted to there 172.

Hello, I was wondering how the superchip was fitted. Was it a replacement thing or was the ECU reprogrammed through the port.

Cheers,

Chun.

CTR EK9 turbo

Im getting a stage one group N ecu for rally clio(?) fitted tomorrow, i wonder how itl feel. Well, ill tell you after tomorrow.....

CTR EK9 turbo

Yeah, its a whole new ecu. Im not sure whether youve read the other threads where i wrote about it, but its supposed to be a group n rally ecu? a guy advised me to get it (he prepares race cars, including clio cup cars. I went to him asking about the exhausts and other mods they do to the cup cars - whole exhaust including the manifold costs £925 apparently!? it has a racing cat and looks a bit ugly, just a metal small pipe poking out of the back with a metal heat shield above it! ) im saving up for the 6-speed sequential gear box and traction control......they do 0-100mph in 10.5 secs apparently! not bad! (cup cars)

Renault Laguna Coupe

How much for the ECU Simon, and assuming youve had it fitted by the time you read this, how does the car run with it?

If it is serial reprogramming then is there a way for a insurance company to find it?. Not that I would do that type of thing

Chun.

CTR EK9 turbo

Hey i got my ecu installed today. Its exactly the same as the original renault in external appearance. When i rev the engine when standard still it revs much more freely rather than a slight delay slower uptake as it was before. It feels more responsive and has more mid range poke. I have only driven it in hot weather so far, but have been impressed. I can now do 125+ in 4th gear (revs to 7600rpm now), all i need now is a decent exhaust to complement it as between 6-7 it seems to strangle a bit, but mid range is definately better, more torquey. Economy has probably gone down, but i havent noticed yet and dont really care Im going to go for a mignight toast to see what its like in the cooool air! Its only attainable by registered Renaultsport people and to the common market costs around £700! ouch! i got it in the end for £500 (lot of wedge, but its worth it i think as it doesnt say superchips or anything and is designed for the car etc.) The ECU is called a stage one group N. This guy is a registered race preparer bloke so he can get things at good prices! so if anyone wants one, give us a shout. Remember its a whole new ecu, not just reprogrammed original one, so you can put the old one back in if you want. It doenst say group n on it anywhere, just has a few different numbers here and there. Although, having disconnected the battery, my radio needs the code entering, i have a code in my wallet, but it wont work....grrrrr.....renault!!!! help!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hmmm, would be interesting to get the car on a rolling road, or to stick an AP22 in for an hour. £500 isnt bad at all bad if it works...

Timebomb how much has your limiter been increase by with the superchip?. Simon did the bloke who installed it for you say anything about how save it was to have the rev limt that high?.

Chun.

Youll have to come along to the RR on 3rd of August Simon and show us the difference... there are a good few 172s down for that day so you might get a few orders!!

Simon, Do you know if the Group N ECU will work on MkII172, bearing in mind its got FBW throttle?

Let us know if its affected normal drivability, ie not snappy in traffic or has no low down torque, etc.

Cheers

CTR EK9 turbo

Sounds like a plan regarding the RR. Whereabouts is it? i havent even become a member yet! id love to join but ive lost my cheque book and the pay pal thingy doesnt take switch... Regarding the group n upgrade - i wasnt even going to modify my car until the warranty ran out, but was tempted by the exhaust that the clio cup cars have, which is supposed to give a good gain, especially top end power. However, this mod would be blatant and I am paranoid that in case my car went wrong renault will not touch it with such an obvious mod. I spoke to that guy and he suggested getting the whole ecu, saying itd cost loads to an average person, but he can get them at a good price - registered with renaultsport etc. I drove it tonight and it does seem to pull better in the mid range, and when i rev it there is no delay like i said earlier. The advantage over superchips is that there will obviously be no superchips stickers on the car, and i had the opportunity to replace the whole ecu, which has been done. I have the old one sitting on a shelf. Its a bit of a pain to remove incidently, you have to take off the air box and all the pipe work leading to the throttle body from the air box (doesnt take long, but is a pain in the arse). The metal casing is a pain too, but a screw driver can be used to encourage its opening. I also went for the whole ecu replacement because i can get it fiddled with at a rolling road when i choose to mod the exhaust and induction, and when i come to sell the car i can choose to either sell the parts or put the car back to standard spec. Whilst driving in the heat today i did notice that around 6-7000 rpm the power stayed the same, in that it was kinda strangled (possibly due to hot engine bay more than likely) and felt like it needed a freer flowing exhaust or something to make it breath better - possibly a green induction or bmc cold ram air jobby. Ive been impressed so far with the results and according to my new contact theres a rolling road quite local, which charges £40 an hour tuning etc. Is that a good price? I can also get hold of those white magnesium alloys speedline (?) corse i think they are called. The cup car looks excellent wearing those wheels and also because its been lowered about 10 feet. I sat in the drivers seat and i couldnt see over the bonnet! (although i am only 58/9)

Man-chun - with regards to the high revving, i doubt theres a prob revving that high, the cup cars rev to 9500 rpm apparently! but the one he had in the workshop didnt half blue smoke! Ive changed my mind about the exhaust, i think it looks good! just a little pipe poking out the back, makes a huge noise tho!

Skoda Fabia vRS

the cup ones might rev to 9500 rpm but you can be sure there not usin the same head gasket as you !

CTR EK9 turbo

The only mods for the cup car i was told are: magnetti marelli ignition, 6-speed sequential gear box, exhaust with racing cat, same air box with ram air modification through head light, laguna brake discs and £180 brake pads(!), obviously different ecu (magnetti marelli i guess), stripped out completely, sparco seat, sparco steering wheel, stack rev counter with number to say what gear you are in, sparco pedals (not standard metal ones), strange plastic door cards(!), control box for rear lights, engine cut etc. left hand drive, laguna drive shafts, he told me there has been no mods to the engine internal components - completely left alone, (but im not sure about gaskets) But it did blue smoke like a b**ch when he started it up!

CTR EK9 turbo

I can ask my new contact and he can get them for £500. They are something like £700 for a non-renaultsport registered race blokey. Ill ask him whether they would work on the fbw throttle, i dont see why not really. All i think ill need is the engine number.

CTR EK9 turbo

The clio cup this guy was working on is the mk.1 with the mk.2 body panels stuck on. Dont know why, but it does have the mk.1 air box and so did the ones i saw at Thruxton...maybe because of FBW throttle. Ill ask the guy.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well ask the guy you know mate, id put money on it being a stainless steel and kevlar head gasket