ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who says you can't commute in a 172?

2003 Clio 172
I've been doing some cover shifts on a different site this week and instead of my usual 14 mile round trip to work it's been more in the region of 40 mostly motorway miles. I'm actually pleasantly surprised how pleasant the 172 has been to commute in tbh. Averaging over 36mpg (whilst not exactly taking it easy, no doubt I'd get more if my right foot was lighter). My Mrs 1.6 Focus barely gets 36mpg, at it's as dull as dishwater to drive lol. The only downside has been my non functioning air con, but other than that the 172 has been a great commuting tool ?

2003 Clio 172
I've got a pro speed exhaust and fatty induction set up on mine. Still pretty civilised to drive unless I plant it ?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Used my 133 cup for 4 years and 50k and that was OK and the seats were brilliant on a long journey.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I commuted in mine and whilst it seemed great at the time, it really isn't in hindsight. There's no way I'd even go back to a manual car for the commute, let alone a 172.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, yes 1 thing I didn't like. Driving to work and having to drop down 3 gears just to be able to over take doris on her mobility scooter.

Don't get me wrong, I bloody miss my 172, more so than my 197, but not for commuting. I think I'd probably have kept them longer if I didn't have to wear a suit for work.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Short commutes there fine but longer journeys they do become very tiring, stop start traffic is the worst.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I used to commute in my 172 for a while, can’t say I miss it - bucket seat, harness, no radio, no carpets, cage, no a/c. Was rank, apart from on fridays. Always seemed amazing on a Friday! Was alright on fuel, just didn’t like sitting in traffic much.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
mine was excellent economy wise considering the performance (std 172).

Remind me how heavy is the clutch on a 1*2, I can't remember now. Tthe one in my M3 does not make long periods of stop start traffic too much fun.

The only thing I wished my 172 had was cruise.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
50,000 miles of mostly commuting in mine. I get annoyed in proper stand still traffic.. but anything other than that then it's fine. Much better now my a/c is working again!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I’m sooooo glad I swapped from the 197 to the s4.

90% of the timed hated the clio. Too stiff, slow, revvy, thirsty and I was constantly worried about dings, chips and parking next to people.

The other 10% when it was just used for a hoon or on track, it was the best car ever, bar being underpowered.

Now I have the wagon, I’m over the moon. It does everything I want, fast when I want it to be, quiet when I want it to be, comfy in every situation and I’m not arsed about dings, chips or parking it anywhere (likely because I didn’t buy a minter). The auto box is very dim witted and it loves a drink. But for what I need right now, I couldn’t think of anything better.

82F4D3E7-DCBA-4C2E-9EC0-C60B21EC7136.jpeg

C83E8695-05D5-4CAD-9EE3-3A62AE653004.jpeg

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I love her wee Polo GTi for the commute. It's a DSG and has a revo stage 2(215-230bhp / 300ft/lb) map. It's nice to have buckets of torque from 3k rpm compared to my Rallye and 172 which you have to wring the neck off to get to go anywhere. I'm getting a bit old to be passing people on the redline at 7am lol.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Who says you can't commute in a 172?

no-one. ever.
Except NaplesValver[emoji23].
I've use mine daily for 2 years and even though it's only 16 miles to work it's been great. The only time I've struggled was last week when a stretch that usually takes 5 mins took 45 because 2 fucktards couldn't negotiate a big f**k off junction without crashing and my left leg felt like I'd hopped the 16 miles!

406 V6, Race Buggy
Pfft, I used to commute in a stripped peugeot with completely rose jointed/needle bearing'd suspension, stiff dampers, rattly floating discs, solid engine mounts, a quick rack with no PAS and load of camber and castor and no air-con.

A 172 would be ideal as a commuter car. I'm with @Goodj

You want a bad commute - we used to drive our 4wd rally car on the roads in France between stages, try a sealed cabin with the engine 3 inches behind you on throttle bodies, straight cut 'box, 3 plated diffs and knobbly tyres, kevlar panels rattling and creaking, windows that don't open and no blowers.

Listerine & Poledo
Just to add to my statement.

A stock 172 is a fine commuter car, as it is, in essence, just another 3-door mumsy shopping trolley, except it's got a bigger engine.

If you've polybushed the thing in all areas, stuck on a wel sik zorst that announces your arrival from 3 miles out, and strip the interior down to a drivers' seat, no, it wont be much fun to commute with. Not unless your trip is an empty B-road

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I used to commute in my 172 for a while, can’t say I miss it - bucket seat, harness, no radio, no carpets, cage, no a/c. Was rank, apart from on fridays. Always seemed amazing on a Friday! Was alright on fuel, just didn’t like sitting in traffic much.
that's what I want to do....but having to pick up the kids sometimes puts the kibosh on that......

basically i'm a big child....
oh, and turning 50 in january......?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I used my 172 to commute around 300 miles a week for 2/3 months while my dCi was off the road. Got about 26mpg+

Was such good fun everyday just making idiots look even more stupid in their EcoWank Fiestas[emoji23] Gone back to dailying my dCi again and in the last 4 months I’ve only filled it up about 5/6 times doing about 3500 miles and I’ve realised how little fuel it will use even kicking its head in[emoji23]

Think the 182 was very good in context (cruise & climate control versus it’s contemporaries) but it will always be a small, cheap car.

Unfortunate that the basically-mandatory exhaust & cooksports make it significantly worse for using daily.

Thought this was a typo for that A4 wagon at first.

Excellent stuff, where’s the thread with more details etc?

Last edited:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I was doing 112 miles a day in mine around 4/4.5 hours a day, did around 25-30k in 6/8 months lol. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't a massive problem apart from the clutch being heavy in traffic.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Think the 182 was very good in context (cruise & climate control versus it’s contemporaries) but it will always be a small, cheap car.

Unfortunate that the basically-mandatory exhaust & cooksports make it significantly worse for using daily.

Thought this was a typo for that A4 wagon at first.

Excellent stuff, where’s the thread with more details etc?

Negative, still have the other wagon... but due to excuses it’s on stands on my drive lol.

Don’t have a thread as it’s just a runaround, nothing is being done to it really. It’s just meant to be a stop gap car.

406 V6, Race Buggy
*snip*
You want a bad commute - we used to drive our 4wd rally car on the roads in France...

Here, I found the piece I wrote for another forum complaining about driving an S2000 as a daily....;)

PhillipM said:
We used to race in France, with a Fouquet - basically, a ground-up spaceframed 4wd rally car:

oulton1.jpg

which would make an S2000 sound like a Maybach at the best of times - it was great at full tilt, but over there you're driving back to service on the roads with the normal traffic. It didn't like 30mph. Or traffic jams. Or anything less than full throttle.
Now, quite aside from the massive drum-like thrumming that the carcass on the M/T tyres made on tarmac - the kind that makes your lungs vibrate and your hearing hum for about 3 days afterwards - it also had 3 limited slip diffs, all plated. All with lots of preload.
Three limited slip diffs designed for a lot of lockup on the throttle. And very little off it, just enough to balance the car.
So, just poodling along, they'd vary between the whole lot from front to back chattering, clunking and squeaking, to going tight as a drum mid corner or pulling out of a junction - in which case half the wheels started squealing and hopping up and down as they were locked up and scrubbing.
Someone solid mounted those diffs to a lovely tubular steel spaceframe. You know, something nice and stiff and great for transfering, say, noise and motion across the entire car no matter where the noise started from? Great idea. Now half the tyres are fighting the other half of the tyres, the diffs are vibrating, the whole frame is vibrating and it sounds like half the body panels are falling off.

Whilst I'm on the subject of pulling out of junctions. You know if you fit a paddle clutch to your S2000, it judders a bit at low speed?
This had three.
All rather thick cerametallic plates, and every time you push the clutch in they jump and bounce around, making a noise like a troupe of chimpanzes who've had shipment of cymbals, and probably a sack of sugar, or maybe methamphetamine.
Oh, did I mention when you let it back out - say for slowly slipping the clutch out of a junction, the judder shunts the whole car back and forth hard enough to turn milk into butter? Well they do, and if you try it with a few less rev's to trickle out steadily into traffic, then that silly little 5.25" flywheel you put on there becomes rather less of a clever idea.
Ever tried starting a race motor on lumpy cams, in the middle of traffic, at a junction, on plugs 2 heat ranges colder than a road engine?
It's good fun - everyone joins in and helps you along with suggestions via the musical medium of the car horn. Helpful suggestions like "Why the f**k are you using a tiny little battery that's given up after two cranks?"
Mind, it's nice seeing everyone wave at you, even if their fingers are in odd positions.

Of course, along with the clutch comes a race gearbox.
In this particular case, a rather heavy duty sequential dog-ring unit that in which the shift mechanism appears to have been made out of lead. So, you have two choices. Choice number one - you pull the paddle-shift lever, which triggers a solonoid, releases some rather high pressure air and slams the next gear into place - good at full throttle and revs, but a 2krpm whilst juddering down the road with bleeding ears, merely results in your head flying forwards and then the headrest catching up and giving you a clip around the ear to teach you a lesson.
Choice number two is of course the gear lever. In order to select the next gear, you either come hard off the throttle to release the dogs, and snick it in (not really an option at 2krpm, unless you like the guy in the Peugeot behind to join you in the cabin), or of course - use the clutch.
Remember that juddery thing from earlier? Yes. That.
The thing that makes you bounce between the car in front and behind like a demented powerball whilst trying to feather the next gear in without stalling your temperamental engine on it's stupid bloody flywheel.
So, once the noise from all the rocks and mud firing out of the tyres has subsided, you've got used to the tyre roar and diff chatter because your ears have started to bleed and no longer hear anything bar bass notes, and you've stopped worrying about the engine, clutch and gearchange because the mild concussion from the headrests has you staring vacantly and drooling, you start to enjoy the drive down the road and the kids waving. You don't even mind when the brakes barely work any more because they've cooled off, so you have to stamp on the pedal just to get the thing to slow down in traffic - complete with an ear-splitting wail that would shame a banshee - as they protest at being made to work while chilly.

That's when phase II begins. See, at 100mph, a fibreglass race car is a rather cool and draughty place, there's plenty of little panel gaps and no insulation.
At 20 or 30mph, with an engine right by your arse, things start to get rather warm. Toasty in fact - especially when the diffs are doing double duty as frying pans from all the plate locking going on in between rattling like a bag of marbles in a blender.
That's when you make the fatal mistake of popping a door open for some cool, refreshing air...
What's left of your eardrums start waving a surrender flag, and the one nearest the window is packing it's bags and booking flights as Hurricane Dumbass begins to form somewhere between the rear firewall and your earlobe - in your mildly concussed vacant stare you notice the pace notes merrily flying through the door hole, and, at that very moment, the last chunk of mud that's been clinging in desperation to a front tyre for miles decides to get it's revenge, comes through the window and - with unerring accuracy - goes straight through the visor slot in your helmet.

After arriving at service minus documents, checking with the paramedics for concussion, finding some more pace notes and wondering why everything is so quiet out of the car, you get back in and do it again. Because you're a certified moron who loves cars, and the minute you go full throttle, all that disappears behind your large, slightly mud-stained grin.
And that last bit?
That's how you cope with the car on the road.

Now get back in your stripped french tin and press the throttle ;)

I used to use mine every Friday to work but the 11kg AST's completely ruined the ride so just stopped driving it.

Wish I'd left it near standard looking back as those extra few seconds on track for the ££££'s i put into it in mods just wasn't worth it. I was having no more fun than when it just had springs, exhaust, intake and pads. The main difference with the basic mods was that it was drivable on the road, the only issue was the heavy clutch in traffic.