ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who to use for this engine work?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
My cambelts due soon and looking at getting it done + some other goodys at the same time!!

looking at getting...
Fast road cams
182 manifold
sports cat
mapping

Going to Prospeed for a catback i think but just need a reliable tuner to do the above work, had spoke to GDi about it but after reading the threads and hearing personal storys i think ill give them a miss!

because i need the car for work i need someone who can do the work quickly and not just get left at the back of a garage untill they get round to it lol

so what you guys think? yozza, AWT, KTR? anyone else?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
AWT

he gets my vote for obvious reasons lol, but he knows his stuff, very well priced and i cant fault him.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
as for speed, on tuesday he is doing two cambelts, 2 sets of cams, 2 remaps, 2 sets of inlets and fitting a head he has just ported on one of them for my mate (i stripped the engine)

all in one day :D

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
;) it wont, The Jesus is wrong hehe

let's not tell porkies here. I've used both companies, I'm in a better place to comment than you are... especially as you have bought into them, I'd call that a conflict in interest personally.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=253756&highlight=AWT

This was my experience and I'm not the only one.

i have used both companys!

i am still waiting for my oil catch from GDi which was posted 6 weeks ago ;)

the number of AWT thread vrs the GDi threads speaks for its self ;)

I think we can leave it at

1. Everyone makes mistakes
2. Both companies seem highly regarded on here and have a good rep
3. Good Cusomter service

In answer to the guys original query I would go to whatever is nearer!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
let's not tell porkies here. I've used both companies, I'm in a better place to comment than you are... especially as you have bought into them, I'd call that a conflict in interest personally.

Never seen that thread before. very interesting read!

Here's another interesting read to complete the picture.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188906

Martin, wouldn't bother mate. The mods you've suggested will get you up to the 200bhp mark, not much more. The drivability will be gone and you'll enjoy the car less...I know i did!

By all means get the zorst. and on route back up from cardiff...(Long way to go for an 'Avg' zorst) fire into P murray.

For me, a YS stealth and fire bak to falkland for the map, Least that way ur saving on hassle, fuel bills and milage.

Ali

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Here's another interesting read to complete the picture.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188906

Martin, wouldn't bother mate. The mods you've suggested will get you up to the 200bhp mark, not much more. The drivability will be gone and you'll enjoy the car less...I know i did!

By all means get the zorst. and on route back up from cardiff...(Long way to go for an 'Avg' zorst) fire into P murray.

For me, a YS stealth and fire bak to falkland for the map, Least that way ur saving on hassle, fuel bills and milage.

Ali

that is a big read LOL

Why do you always try and provoke an argument?

I wasnt aware that ben_p had bought in Angelworks but I'd trust him over you due to his techinal knowledge + he has helped me with a few things in the past and seems a friendly chap.

This is the thing about Clio Sport, people are ill informed and unaware, I foolishly thought people may want to hear some the truth, not a rose tinted view of what the company owners think. Good job it's not my money really.

The reason is because certain people get any thread they wish locked if they dont like them. It's actually a break through that thread, any previous attempt was removed without warning or reason.

Ali - The Omex's dont like being power washed, new owner and it's been absolutely fine and been to the Ring and back hasn't it?

Anyway, boring, sure the OP had already pretty much made up his mind prior to making a thread.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
My cambelts due soon and looking at getting it done + some other goodys at the same time!!

looking at getting...
Fast road cams
182 manifold
sports cat
mapping

Going to Prospeed for a catback i think but just need a reliable tuner to do the above work, had spoke to GDi about it but after reading the threads and hearing personal storys i think ill give them a miss!

because i need the car for work i need someone who can do the work quickly and not just get left at the back of a garage untill they get round to it lol

so what you guys think? yozza, AWT, KTR? anyone else?

If it was me and i lived where you do i wouldnt bother with any of them!
Maybe for part supply but not for fitting, you must have a decent garage or two near you? Cams/Manifold/Exhaust are simple jobs for any decent mechanic.

As for a remap, RS tuning is your nearest place and they always have decent reviews.

YS/AWT/GDI/KTec are all superb at what they do, sure theres been a few c**k ups but in that industry it happens, as long as its put right i dont see the issue.

Try not to limit yourself you may end up spending more than you have to.
For example, you say you are going to prospeed for an exhaust, if it was me i'd source a manifold and get charlie to fit it while your having the exhaust done.

Ph1
Totally agree with Tom

Gather the parts up and get them fitted by someone close to home. After that, trip down the A1 to RS Tuning for the mapping.

I was in your position and went to one of the above companys and had a few problems which resulted in the distance being one serious major headache, not to mention the additional expense and time off work

KTEC are quite expensive if you ask me, I wouldnt chose to go there either after to speaking a former employee there

But of course he will be biased ;) There probably fine!

Nothing especially wrong with them, like all tuners there are good and bad reports, its more the point that Martin is in central Scotland and KTEC are down the road from us.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Which instantly adds around £80 onto anything in fuel costs, not to mention other travel and accomodation costs. Which at bare minimum would be over £100.

Personally i dont have £100+ im willing to waste.

Which instantly adds around £80 onto anything in fuel costs, not to mention other travel and accomodation costs. Which at bare minimum would be over £100.

that's one of the biggest problem for tuning. My choice of tuner is almost 200 miles each way, but to be honest, if it was anymore I'd personally go the extra miles, but can see why people wouldn't do this. My main reason is that I dont trust any of the tuners up by me and they are so bloody expensive.

that's one of the biggest problem for tuning. My choice of tuner is almost 200 miles each way, but to be honest, if it was anymore I'd personally go the extra miles, but can see why people wouldn't do this. My main reason is that I dont trust any of the tuners up by me and they are so bloody expensive.

By my reckoning Martin to KTEC is just under 500 miles, each way!

500 miles would be pushing it, but again, depends on what's being done. I'd only go that kind of distance for something major, like ITB's, turbo, charger, or all 3 lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
This is the thing about Clio Sport, people are ill informed and unaware, I foolishly thought people may want to hear some the truth, not a rose tinted view of what the company owners think. Good job it's not my money really.

The reason is because certain people get any thread they wish locked if they dont like them. It's actually a break through that thread, any previous attempt was removed without warning or reason.

Ali - The Omex's dont like being power washed, new owner and it's been absolutely fine and been to the Ring and back hasn't it?

Anyway, boring, sure the OP had already pretty much made up his mind prior to making a thread.

Previous owner didn't jet wash it either.

Clio tuning...Worth it...you decide! lol

I say boring, because you cant actually see me yawning... ;)

Anyway, he's not asking if it's worth it, sounds like the lad has made up his mind and just wants some advice on "where". Use the search feature on said companies, research them, weigh up pro's and con's, who's telling the truth etc etc and do whatever. End of the day we cant make his mind up for him, though I've no doubts he's been PM'd to death lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Really? Theres more paranoia here than i realised. Surprised people could be bothered to pm people over this but you are allowed an opinion i guess..

Heres to value for money.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I say boring, because you cant actually see me yawning... ;)

Anyway, he's not asking if it's worth it, sounds like the lad has made up his mind and just wants some advice on "where". Use the search feature on said companies, research them, weigh up pro's and con's, who's telling the truth etc etc and do whatever. End of the day we cant make his mind up for him, though I've no doubts he's been PM'd to death lol

I'll PM you to death my little prince!x

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
fitting isnt a problem i can do all the fitting myself (cams at a push if i bought the tools) its the mapping, i just wanted to save the hastle and get it all done at once and save me the hastle!

yozza stealth is the exhaust id get BUT i want a better power gain, but its an option.

ali, what you mean loose the driveability? surely cams is going to massively improve that?

matched inlets is in the list too, i just missed it out by mistake.

ali, how is falkland for maping? i was put of due to them being superchips but never really looked into it.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Never had anything to do with GDI, spoke to ben at angelworks, top fella!! Doing some stuff for me soon i hope!

Lionel Richie
yozza stealth is the exhaust id get BUT i want a better power gain, but its an option.

the only way to gain power from an exhaust on a 172/182 = more noise

people wanted a QUIET stealth, which means 0 power gain

BUT yoz does do a performance stealth (aka "the rally") which is a loud performance stealth

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

the only way to gain power from an exhaust on a 172/182 = more noise

people wanted a QUIET stealth, which means 0 power gain

BUT yoz does do a performance stealth (aka "the rally") which is a loud performance stealth

lol "the rally" is too loud and the stealth (which does EXACTLY what a stealth should do, ie low noise, and is hidden) doesnt give the power gain im looking for)

the stealth is perfect but just dont really want to fit cams, 182 manifold etc etc to fit an exhaust that wont give me the power gain the others will.

but due to it being my road car i cant have something mega loud, ive been there done that lol!

Lionel Richie
well unfortunately the ONLY way to get MAXIMUM power out of one of these cars is to have a loud exhaust

you can't have your cake and eat it!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I think Edde shoud set up a Tuning Place ;)

Failing that, I'd go with whoever Fred is/works for. I haven;t met him, But he seems honest, Knowledgeable and seems a sound guy.

Or save your money Martin, Enjoy your 172 for what it is and use the mod money for you extorbtinate insurance.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
insurance is only £1200 fully comp now that im 19 with 1yrs ncb, thats why im looking at getting the cambelt done and cams etc

although starting to think best bet is to do the cambelt myself (and just take the plunge and buy the tools) stick a 182 manifold on it, decent exhaust, inlets done, remap and leave it at that.

either that or sell up and buy something quicker like a megane R26, looking at FQ300 evos but cant get a quote for 1 untill im 21 :(