ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who's got a car project that they're losing faith in?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Me! lol.

I got my mk1 clio with the sole intention of fitting an F4r, then throttle bodies, then in a few years re-shelling as it wasn't a great shell then just general tinkering while I enjoy many many track days. That was over 2 years ago.

Currently its sat outside someones workshop 100 miles from me, looking VERY sorry for itself, my new shell is sat on the driveway with about 3 inches of water in it (no windows) and I am seriously seriously lacking enthusiasm.

And it owes me mental money means i'm a bit reluctant to spend any more on it. Although in its defence, its all there, it just needs time and TLC.

So, what have you got lurking in your garage?

How I bought it:

n503628905_1549359_4797.jpg

The engine;

32070_396087106183_684436183_4569480_6637769_n.jpg

The shell I am re-shelling my car in to;

IMG_5442.jpg

172,scenic, trafic
i have had my cup about 18 months now, bought it with a duff engine with the intention of tracking it, its sat now in exactly the same place albeit with a running engine now. now i have the engine sorted i have decided to meg 225 it so the engine is up for sale, so god no s how long before i get the meg lump in it. lost enthusiam? i think not, just not enough time. but maybe the enthusiasm has a bit to do with it.lol

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I don't, but my brother has a Mk2 Fiesta XR2 that he's converting to a RS2000. Due to time and finances it's taking him years, I think he's thrown the towel in!

172,scenic, trafic
actually now i come to think of it i have almost built a house in the same time i have had the cup!! thats bloody lazy

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I could get all of my s**t together in one unit, that I can get into out of hours, that doesn't cost me £600 per month, it would be done!

At the minute, its scattered all over the country and I have no workspcae. :(

I don't, but my brother has a Mk2 Fiesta XR2 that he's converting to a RS2000. Due to time and finances it's taking him years, I think he's thrown the towel in!

If he has thrown the towel in I'll buy the shell ;)

Having said that, I'm starting to lose patience building this engine at the moment...

Cry me a river Gaz. ;)

Pah, yours has taken forever because you're even lazier than me. I'm just thinking if I end up chasing rust around the car, I might not get it done by Mid March. If that happens, it's not getting touched until September thanks to a double outage, then it spirals out of control and 10 years later I finish it.

S4 Avant
You bought Chris's old shell?

My car's sat outside with stuff growing on it. I care about it that much. Really badly want an S4, but need the monies, and can't sell this orange thing.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£600 a month! Jesus you could build a garage for less than a years rent that would last forever!

I need somewhere big enough to house two cars, that I can get to at night, that has lights and is very secure.

Sadly, all of that comes at a price. Owing to the fact its only commercial units that fit the bill.

182cup & 172 racecar
I can understand how you lot feel,when we built the race car 2yrs ago, it was hard work.But we did have a goal at the end of it.
I still haven't got the stickers off it from the end of the season yet,feeling really lazy atm.Still engine is planed for the 15th Jan,so should get a move on with it soon.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
If he has thrown the towel in I'll buy the shell ;)

Having said that, I'm starting to lose patience building this engine at the moment...

I'll ask him what he's doing with it all next time I see him, he's got plenty of goodies last time I looked.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You bought Chris's old shell?

My car's sat outside with stuff growing on it. I care about it that much. Really badly want an S4, but need the monies, and can't sell this orange thing.

I thought you bought a golf gti?? :S Who the hell is that other daveXX bloke then?! lol!!

Why can't you sell the orange thing?

Maybe so, but I'm still putting mortgage money away every month, so that's almost 50% of my basic gone. I have the option of work overtime and easily afford it but less free time, don't work overtime, more free time and less money.

Clio cup 172
Iv had many that I don't have time for but take on anyway lol only got one at the min satria gti bought cheap and cause it don't owe me much I can't be fooked only need to put cambelt back on and fix bottom pulley and tidy body work but nah I got Clio to toy with now ( well fix all yr round lol )

2.2 bar shed.
Maybe so, but I'm still putting mortgage money away every month, so that's almost 50% of my basic gone. I have the option of work overtime and easily afford it but less free time, don't work overtime, more free time and less money.

Thats it then. Were both lazy cnuts.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not a car, but got a bike project. Its now in my uncle's garage gathering dust, but below is from when it was in my garage back in 2008 lol

Got 1.5 bikes worth of stuff, inc 2 engines waiting to be stripped and a good one rebuilt (this was supposed to be my learning project)

Last week I won a Suzuki sb200 on ebay, my first project, I picked it up Sunday night. The pics below were in the ad and were how it looked when I collected it.

4165_1.jpg

3a57_1.jpg

4faa_1.jpg

It was sold as incomplete due to needing side fairings/indicators/various bolts and loads more but it did also included a box of assorted bits.

485e_1-1.jpg

Since I started my new job this week, well the first few months is full time college but still been hectic I haven’t had much chance to do anything. I have just been taking it apart and cleaning up what I can. I decided a compressor would aid cleaning and also would be useful in general so ordered one and since have just finished dismantling it and am now awaiting my compressor which should come next week and a parts washer should come in useful too so might get that on Monday.

This is how it stands now, bare frame which needs prepping and painting which I will do one evening next week. Various parts everywhere but they are in an order of a sort.

SV100339.jpg

SV100342.jpg

Cleaning the breaks but run out of break cleaner.

SV100341.jpg

Wheels are looking better already, seat needs recovering.

SV100340.jpg

Forks ready for cleaning up.

SV100343.jpg

I collected these last night which i got for £60 on ebay, should be able to get some dealer parts from the engine such as clutch cover, various bolts. Got a nice mint seat so no need to recover my old one and a couple of fairings. Also got indicators plus a box of goodies so well worth the £60.

2c90_1.jpg

2409_1.jpg

1e4c_1.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
I LOVE your Mk1 Dan, remember sitting in it in your old unit, perfect colour for a mk1 - shame you thinking of going to the blue!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Should have given the grey one to Cliolord to get on the road for you, he's only up the road from you and I've never known anyone ever with his level of motivation, especially for mk1s. I can put you in contact if you like, I think they have a few lockups attached to the garage you can hire too

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
mine: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s**tbox-172-(In-Need-Of-A-Good-Tidy-Up)/page7

re shelled it into my 1.2 had problems from the outset, drove 4ish miles and the pas pump shat itself took a pulley and belt with it. got that fixed.

its now knocking when you turn right, left it with my mate in November to fix and not botherd with it.

so a trip to Thailand in June means i wont be spending money on it but reluctant to sell it as it owes me so much and i will get pennies back for it.

and to top it off to get it where i would be happy with it i would want to spend some serious ££££

meh.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
My white Clio 172 took about 4 months from the shell to being on the road, i think about 2/3rds in i lost a lot of faith in it and wanted to just get shot of it. I think half the problem certainly for me was thinking about the dam thing like almost 24/7, even going to bed i'd be thinking what needed to be done next, parts to buy/fit/paint/clean!! Sad, i know, but it was consuming too much of my time so i left it for about 2 weeks. I didn't think about it, did other things...... Then went back to it motivated in finishing it and remembering why i took it all on in the first place :D

You can also feel like you're on your own and no one's there... Would be nice to have people help with the project, the amount of cars i've done over the years with mates coming round to drop engines in etc, doing other bits i couldn't do. We'd have a curry afterwards or order pizza :approve: