ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whos owned a clio mk1 RSI?

M135i
hi all. im due to upgrade my little run around 1.2 to a 1.8 RSI in the coming week or so. its in good condition and has nice new refurbed wheels. anyone owned one or had any experience of one before? im going to do a few mods. not sure yet most likely just induction kit, big brake upgrade, plugs leads dizzy cap and arm, just to get it running nice. ive heard they are quite a hoot to drive for what they are?

M135i
yea thats i all i want really is a warm hatch to bang about in going to work and doing the general driving then use the nice one for good times :)

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
I had one a couple of years back,pretty impressive car. Very close in pace to the 1.8 16v's. Actually produce more torque than valvers i think. Mine had done over 100k. Over the year i had it i changed-clutch,cable,all engine mounts,alternator,steering column,front wheel bearings,shocks,exhaust,rear calipers,idle valve. Still was fond of it though! Good move to change the ignition components when you get it, leads,plugs,dizzy cap and arm made mine run so much sweeter.

Last edited:
Well - they're nearly as good as a valver tbh, but not as fragile! and i've had a few of both (from new as well as used) so know what i'm on about:eek:

I sold a minter last summer 49k on the clock 96 N reg. It went for £1200 so be prepared to part with some doe for a decent one.

Luckily most people want a valver (because as we all know, all the Barry boys just look at the book performance figures) and dismiss the RSi as slow:S, but tbh the RSi is more usable in every day driving than the valver. It has a lot more low down torque and you don't need to ring its neck to get the best out of it.

Plus, as its not so sort after, you're more likely to find an unmolested example for sale.

All the above is IMHO of course;)

Hope that helps Jimbo, regards, Steve.

M135i
thanks all so much for the advice. the deal fell through on the one i was set on getting. was relying on its coming in as p/x at my dads work, the guy sold it instead :( it was a N plate with 40-odd thousand on the clock, refurbed wheels.. a minter! however the search continues and im still wanting one as much, if anyone comes across a decent one, you'll have to let me know!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I had one a couple of years back,pretty impressive car. Very close in pace to the 1.8 16v's. Actually produce more torque than valvers i think.

RSi has 142Nm @ 2750rpm compared to a valvers 158Nm at 4250rpm

they're a lot lazier to drive, but certainly not valver pace.

It's like the argument of a turbo diesel vs petrol. low range torque or more revvy power