ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why are my speakers distorting

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i have focals in the front powered by audison amp, active vibe amp and 6x9 in rear stealth shelf and if i turn up volume to 20 or above the fronts are distorting!! tried turning the rears right down and its defo the fronts. these speakers cost £230 and the amp was £250 let my mate hear it he said defo shouldnt be doing it should be able to handle much more. was set up by the pros at garage where fitted so going to take it back to check all the settings cause i want it louder some times and its pissing me off.

Polo + Micra

id say the gain is set too high and the amp is cliping.

what head unit you running???

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

it aint that loud mate, sounds great but should be able to go much louder without any distorting, this install cost me a packet and is all top quality stuff, gonna have to take it to let them check settings me thinks. i dont want to start messing about with it i aint got a clue.

Polo + Micra

yeah get it on a scope that will show what is cliping

either the pre-outs or the amp

One with a few more

its highly likel;y they may have set the gains by ear and with a sony thats not a good idea as the preout voltages can be a bit tempermental. Take it in and get them to SCOPE it using a test cd. being professionals they should do this and make them do it in front of you if you have to

Are you running all the kit off one amp?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

the fronts are of the 2 channel audison amp, rears not ampd (yet) vibe sub is active.

One with a few more

Then its sounds like a deifnite gains set wrongly problem to me. Do you know what position the gains are at now atm? With sonys they quote high preouts so lots of people set the gains at that but in fact the voltage they give it very low.

So the preamp may be trying divide then amplify by a voltage that doesnt exist

One with a few more

yes it would. It would cause distortion as the amp then gives out a voltage to the speakers based on what it is told by the gains, so to speak

For example, a test cd i used once was the wrong frequency as it was recorded wrong and the rockford amp it was using on ended up with channels giving out two entirely different ratings, and very nearly wreaked the fronts

Polo + Micra

but if you set it up for a high voltage and it drops you are just going to get reduced output