ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are remaps so expensive ?

Shed.
I dont kno how they work, but im under the impression they load a new map into the ecu, and thats it.......

£445 for a remap on some cars !!!!

Hoping rs tuning will do one for the 1.2 16v at a reasonable price, IE under £300

think its all the development that goes into it. although lets be honest there isnt much else for av. 400 quid thatll give most cars a good power hike compared to buying lots of other things seperartly

Petrol Blue 182.
how much power would a 1.2 gain? i dnt even no how much bhp mine even has atm lol!

visualize whirled pe
What I want to know is why if some tuners claim better mpg, increased performance or drivability etc after a re-map dont the manufacturers of the vehicle do this from the offset?

nah i went the huge weightsaving effort for the same effect, lol, i was tempted to, but not going to bother, only when the 2L is in

ITB'd MK1
think its all the development that goes into it. although lets be honest there isnt much else for av. 400 quid thatll give most cars a good power hike compared to buying lots of other things seperartly

It's the development time and the equipment outlay you're paying for. the software alone can stretch into thousands if you're working on a range of vehicles

BMW M135i
Waste of time on a standard F4R so definetly no point on a 1.2. They only (imo) give decent power hikes on turbo engines and turbo diesels.

Great idea remapping a 1.2 - while your at it get some of those excellent ebay chips too.

I might get a few for my sh*t v6 too.

ITB'd MK1
Waste of time on a standard F4R so definetly no point on a 1.2. They only (imo) give decent power hikes on turbo engines and turbo diesels.

disagree apart from the 1.2 being a watse of time. factory maps are all generic, but no 2 engines are identical. You can always make improvements by fine tuning, even on a standard engine with nothing else done.

Focus RS Mk1
the cheaper prices that people are quoting on here are for generic maps, eg a map that has already been made up on a previous car. Needs flashing onto the ecu. thats very easy and for the person that uploads them to the ecu, its free! But its the initial outlay to get that map that you pay for, which to be honest, is paid for with the first few sales!

Those who have been quoted £450-and over that will be a custom remap on a rolling road specific to your car, you pay for rolling road time, fuel used, labour etc so costs are higher but generally speaking results will be better too.

No cars engine is the same. to a generic map may be great for one car say 10bhp gain, and on another car with same engine, may only produce 7bhp gain!

thats why you have a custom map done.

On my saxo (supercharged) my car spent near 3 days on the rollers gettin it perfected. cost me a lot! but well worth it. Thats an extreme case though, a typical remap would take best part of a day to get right.

Clio 172 Cup
What I want to know is why if some tuners claim better mpg, increased performance or drivability etc after a re-map dont the manufacturers of the vehicle do this from the offset?

They have set the car up so that it can used in different countries across the world and because we use right hand drive vehicles, they tend to set it up for south africa which doesn't have as good fuel as us! Hence why the engines aren't tuned to their potential.

Also you may think the remap is expensive, wait till you tell your insurance company!

Is it the 8v or 16v?

8v is 60bhp, 16v is 75bhp (when the engine's healthy) ;)

lol 8v ftw! was thinkin of a remap, try to get the fastest 1.2 around lol how pointless it wld be tho, much gain from one then?

You'd need to spend literally thousands on the engine as other people have been there and done that. Then you would only be fastest in a staight line. To be fastest around a track you'd need good coilovers, set up properly, and to be a better driver than Fred.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I would agree that remapping a 1.2 is a waste of money really,
but people have said that its a waste remapping the F4R engine.

Are you mad?

My mates 182cup was remapped and had the milltek system,
I drove it a good few times standard and loads of time after
it had been fiddled with.

The thing was a differant car, absolutley rapid compared
to standard.

Were we both hallucinating or what?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Remaps on the 2.0 16v Engines isn't a waste of time as it will give much better Mid Range Torque and General Driveability, If you wanted High BHP Figures we should have all bought different cars,

Turbo and Turbo Diesels especially give incredible gains from a remap