ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why Cup

Clio 182, Audi A3

Ive an Artic Blue 182 on order, and Im surprised how many of you run Cup Models. At 3mm lower it hardly looks better, and even on my country lanes you cant drive fast enough to benefit from that little extra - round every blind corner (thats most of them) is a fuel tanker or girls on horses or just someone even older than me doddering in the middle of the road. And in the suberbs? What a waste of time.
I test drove a 172 cup and my (much younger) brother commented the ride was only just acceptable for passengers. Trips with Granny would all be in the Focus, not the idea at all.

people buy it because it sits better and looks better, and the wheels look better, and the spoiler makes the back end looks loads better, if you didnt like the ride of the 172 then you are not going to like the 182s ride as there almost identical.

also 182s with cup packs are going to have a better resale value than the non cup pack ones

Quote: Originally posted by Grandad on 30 August 2004

Ive an Artic Blue 182 on order, and Im surprised how many of you run Cup Models. At 3mm lower it hardly looks better, and even on my country lanes you cant drive fast enough to benefit from that little extra - round every blind corner (thats most of them) is a fuel tanker or girls on horses or just someone even older than me doddering in the middle of the road. And in the suberbs? What a waste of time.
I test drove a 172 cup and my (much younger) brother commented the ride was only just acceptable for passengers. Trips with Granny would all be in the Focus, not the idea at all.

if the cup as you say is a waste of time on the country roads, then surely a 182 will be as well for a few £1000s more wouldnt you say?

I guess you have to consider what you want in a car. If you want to take "the Granny" out, buy a mini ;). If you want the fastest car on the market for the price get the 182 with all the bits on it.

Go Cup, you will look like an import if not imo.

Will be easier to resell.

£200 bargain. Handles better as well.

Anthracite wheels look meaner and do not show brake dust.

Quote: Originally posted by Strike on 01 September 2004

I guess you have to consider what you want in a car. If you want to take "the Granny" out, buy a mini ;). If you want the fastest car on the market for the price get the 182 with all the bits on it.
wouldnt he be better off taking granny out in the rover?

I dont see why you would want any sort of hot hatch if you think like that. Isnt it about £300 for all those things? Youd be stupid not to.

-Rob

Weeman sucks ****

WTF?!

If I remember correctly, my old focus had almost as hard shocks and springs as my cup, if not they felt better so what are you on? I think you might be quite dissapointed when you get your RACING blue 182.

Ford Fiesta

lol, for the little bix extra it costs I cannot see why everyone doesnt go for it, unless the colour puts them off of the wheels. I prefer the colour though, bit more unique.

You buy the car because of the looks/handling/engine so anyone in the market for this type of car would also be looking at cup suspension pack (and spoiler pack if you can get it, - not me:-( ) .

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 30 August 2004

Why cup?

Why not?

You will struggle to sell it w/o cup packs imo!

not nessesarily,

if i was in the market for a 2nd hand 182 i would steer clear of all cupped versions as it would give me a better chance of finding one thats not had its bolx ragged every time it was moving.

bit like the idea of buying a non-modded car or a lady owner car.

Ford Fiesta

mine will be a right buy when I sell it on then, got the cup suspension and its always kept immaculate inside and out not ragged all the time etc.

trouble is no way of proving it hasnt been abused once you come to sell it, although you will be able to see the condition and all the reciepts/oil changes etc etc

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Grandad,

Im a minority i know but ive had my 182 for 6 months now and i live out in the country so almost all of my driving is around country lanes and non motorway,mine is Uk standard.I did go for the spoiler pack though,that was ordered without seeing one because at the time of my order there were non to see.

It handles superbly and IMO the standard wheels look so much better and unless you have a micrometer handy its hard to notice the 3mm lower the Cup option sits.The ride is spot on,not spongy not harsh.

I cant offer a comparison to the cup suspension on the roads im afraid because i have not driven one long enough to give an opinion.

Cup suspension or not....driving abilty makes a bigger difference.