ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do open cone filters harm mass air sensors?

As far as common knowledge is aware, induction kits/open cone filters lead to mass air flow sensors breaking, or at least failing far sooner than what would usually be expected.

1) Why. What is different, as far as a mass air sensor is concerned, about the air that comes through a cone filter as opposed to a panel filter?

How can faster, denser or a turbulent flow break a sensor?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What car? Because none of that happens on a clio.

On a subaru, its the oil on the cone filters that stick to the hair like wire in the MAF sensor causing tiny particles of dirt to stick, causing it to fcuk up.

Oh dear. Forgot this section was only for Clios :eek:

Mostly heard this on the internet (particular forum) I could accept that a friend's Mk 6 Zetec S (40k, FFSH, in-warranty) needing a new MAF after 4k miles on a pipercross open cone was just unlucky. I can accept sometimes things just fail prematurely.

According to the internet though, it seems to happen a lot on pre 2004 vauxhalls & fords.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's not intrinsic to open cone filters, it's oiled filters in general. The oil coats the hot wire and causes incorrect air flow signals. The sensor will work fine again once cleaned with a residue free solvent

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
^^ Is that the same as electrical contact cleaner?

Scoobynet recomended I used that on my Classic and it worked for about a week. In the end I put the filter in the dishwasher, fitted a new maf and had 3000 trouble free miles! lol.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yeah, or brake/carb cleaner. All the same really

Was a very regular occurence on the nissans (used a near identical MAF to the subaru)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok, here's a question for you.

I spilt about an egg cup full of dirty oil tonight on our nice clean floor. I mopped it up best I could and then sprayed it with brake cleaner, and the floor was like brand new.

Where has the dirt gone? The brake cleaner evaporates, but where's the dirt gone? Its like magic.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
^^ Is that the same as electrical contact cleaner?

Scoobynet recomended I used that on my Classic and it worked for about a week. In the end I put the filter in the dishwasher, fitted a new maf and had 3000 trouble free miles! lol.

The Radio Spares contact cleaner i have had a sort of lube in it so probably no good for an airmass meter. not sure about other contact cleaners though.