ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do we waste money??

MKIII 138
you all smell at driving but you enjoy your cars so whats the biggy each to their own.

induction = more sports car type noise for inside
exhaust = bit more noise for outside and some presence
lowering = big personalisation factor and better looking

all things most blokes would like on their cars some more than others.

As most people say and have already said in this thread, modding is for some people but not for others. I personally like to improve on what came out of the factory.

Would you buy a house and leave it as the previous owner decorated and never add your own personal touch? If not, why not mod a car? Whether it's to add your own touch and make it unique or improve upon what's already on the car. Everything can be improved upon.

Driver skill is a big part though.

Some of my friends like to spend thousands of pounds a year on booze. At the end of the day they have nothing to show for it (apart from a beer gut). I personally don't agree with wasting so much money on beer although I have done my fair share in the passed.

However I don't complain to them about how they are spending it. People spend their money in different ways to others and at the end of the day, let them get on with it. Life would be boring if we all spent our money on the same thing.

Roll on next week or two (throttle bodies) :)

Black 172 MK2
as chris k said i can think of a lot worse way to spend my money. as i see it its more of an identity thing. Like polishing bits in the the engine or colour coding. doesnt make you go faster and takes shite loads of time but some people like to do it.

MKIII 138
true ^ ive stopped smoking a while back and saved £40 a month, stopped binge drinking and big weekend pissup`s about the same time £ ?? probably £30 x 4 at least so at least £120 a month. so ive got £160 extra month and i feel better for it. id spend £250 on a remap just to gain 4bhp and improve the driveability + torque curve etc..

some people think all cars leave the factory equal and produce same power ?

Elise/VX220/R26
I think remaps have their place with all modern cars as they come out of the box tuned for emissions not power. I've always said though that particularly with the 172/82 engine IMO the amount of money you have to spend to get a miniscule power increase isnt justifyable. Fair play the results from getting cams and throttle bodies etc may be good but at a cost of thousands of pounds? If you want to go fast trust me the best way is to go turbo, theres loads of choice of turbo'd cars now for all price brackets, if you take your 3 grand you would have wasted on getting throttle bodies done your looking at a remap, induction, intercooler, exhaust on a turbo car with proper results and you'd still have change left over

all that said I'm guilty myself of knowing what the tuning bug is like, I've "wasted" thousands on cars in the past and yes there are worse ways to spend your money (like on crack for example ;)) Tell you what though having spent only about 500 quid on tuning the meg the results for such a small amount are superb, have got an intercooler on the way and exhaust planned which should see 300bhp on the horizon (maybe a decat would see that figure) its not all bout the bhp figure though the meg has serious legs and with the remap is a proper punchy exciting car to drive. Having the eibachs and drilled discs has also helped to keep the additional power in check

One of the new meg cups just with a £350 remap on would deffo convert a lot of you guys on here

Last edited: