ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why Does Everyone **** Off Modified Cars?

Renault Clio 1.4 RT
172.com said:
^^^ Let's see it then.

O.k. Not very good pics tho. Resized them on photobucket & being a woman c**ked it up!

DSCN0999.gif

DSCN0998.gif

DSCN0997.gif

DSCN0995.gif

DSCN0996.gif

Interior looks alright, sort the steering wheel out thought, looks a bit out of place!

Not keen on the outside!

Penelope Pitstop said:
Now, i don't want to offend anyone but i hate MK2's and MK3's. I think they are an autrocity of the car world. Infact, i don't tend to like any standard looking cars especially the newer ones. In my opinion car designers get far too much money & are pissed each time they actually do any work!

Just to pick up on this point i think its worth mentioning that as years go on and newer models are released passenger and pedestrian crash tests and regulations imposed by governments and safety bodys become more stringent. Gone are the days a car designer could pick up a pen/pencil and draw something he likes the look of. Drag coefficients to consider for fuel economy, bumper heights and shapes for pedestrian safety and physical size of the vehicle to have crumple zones, side impact and various other passive and active safety items are all considered. Worth seeing the bigger picture. As far as im concerned some of the bumpers/wings/splitters etc that are bolted to cars now are a liability and perhaps the VOSA should have to green light any products before allowing them to go on sale and possibly turn a relatively pedestrian friendly car into a rolling deathtrap.

MickelMann said:
cliobcx you got any pics of yours then just curious to what it looks like

id like to put some pics up, however 1) its still a work in progress and 2) i can just about take the comments now, let alone the ammo it would give out if i put pics up. i did put a pic on a while back, dunno if its still on here tho.

Renault Clio 1.4 RT
Loony said:
Just to pick up on this point i think its worth mentioning that as years go on and newer models are released passenger and pedestrian crash tests and regulations imposed by governments and safety bodys become more stringent. Gone are the days a car designer could pick up a pen/pencil and draw something he likes the look of. Drag coefficients to consider for fuel economy, bumper heights and shapes for pedestrian safety and physical size of the vehicle to have crumple zones, side impact and various other passive and active safety items are all considered. Worth seeing the bigger picture. As far as im concerned some of the bumpers/wings/splitters etc that are bolted to cars now are a liability and perhaps the VOSA should have to green light any products before allowing them to go on sale and possibly turn a relatively pedestrian friendly car into a rolling deathtrap.

That's a fair point & i don't doubt that some of the parts on mine are not fully safe, however, owning a car no matter what it looks like, will never be as dangerous as owning say a motorbike in my opinion, & they'll never take them off the road.

Renault Clio 1.4 RT
Cliobcx said:
id like to put some pics up, however 1) its still a work in progress and 2) i can just about take the comments now, let alone the ammo it would give out if i put pics up. i did put a pic on a while back, dunno if its still on here tho.

Stand up & be counted love, i'm sure yours looks great. No point starting this tread if your afraid to finish it. Try putting yours on Barryboys, that's an experience!!

Penelope Pitstop said:
That's a fair point & i don't doubt that some of the parts on mine are not fully safe, however, owning a car no matter what it looks like, will never be as dangerous as owning say a motorbike in my opinion, & they'll never take them off the road.

lol, I'm not convinced that parachutes are safe but i thought this thread was about modified cars not parachutes or motorbikes ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Hiya Penelope Pitstop .

The more I look at the interior of your car, the more I like it. It's most definitely different. I bet it's a right bugger to keep clean though. I'm not over keen on the body kit, but then again I'm not exactly a youngster, so maybe I can be forgiven for that? I do however absolutely love the colour of it. Generally I would say you have a pretty nice car there. ;) :D

Renault Clio 1.4 RT
MickelMann said:
P - how did you/wprkshop do your dashboard/door cards in that colour looks? really nice.

I actually did most of it myself! The doorcards were recovered in black fabric to match my seats. The dash - Firstly i rubbed it all down, then a covered it all with plastic primer, then sprayed it all cream with a little help from my boyf who used to be a sprayer. The paint used is just normal 2pk basecoat. I took all the plastics out of the car to spray apart from the main part of the dash itself which i sprayed in the car. Hung them all up to dry.

It's actually not as difficult to keep clean as you'd think!

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Cliobcx said:
Yeah okay you do get the odd chav in his sh*t xr2i that does look like a tw*t, but i think my car looks good.

What? That XR2i will always look better than your 1200 Chav effort (which is what it is btw)

Oh and the XR2 IS quicker and was a classic car of its time...

Maybe people **** it off because it actually does look pathetic and chav...:rasp:

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Cliobcx I can understand you not wanting negative comments about your car, but when you start modding and straying away from 'standard' not everyone has the same tastes, it would be very boring if we did, so you are bound to get the odd 'I don't like this, I don't like that' comment.
Up until recently I was a stickler for staying 'totally' standard, but a few things have made me change my mind and see some things slightly differently. ( I guess I am proof that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks.) I am sure however that there are going to be a few people that might hate what I do to my car, and in my opinion have every right to say so. I will personally not take offence and 'may' indeed even see some of their points.
At the end of the day though, if you like your car and what you have done to it, that is all that really counts. I would like to think that when you have finished you car that you will let us see her in all her glory, and who knows, you may even get a few nice comments that maybe you weren't expecting. ;) :)

Subway said:
Classic Roy Munson^

Where you been you old fart?

There was a similar statement made a bout a week ago dude. I didnt know I was around long enough for my rants to gain 'classic' status LOL. I've been very busy working away from home, to answer your question :D

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
I Think Modding is a phase in life when i got my first two cars i did a bit of modding, lights seats, bonnets. Now 25 i see most modded cars as pointless with the odd exception. I dont see the point in buying a small engined car and spending 7k on it when you could put that money on a much faster and sportier model.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Gazeratti said:
I Think Modding is a phase in life when i got my first two cars i did a bit of modding, lights seats, bonnets. Now 25 i see most modded cars as pointless with the odd exception. I dont see the point in buying a small engined car and spending 7k on it when you could put that money on a much faster and sportier model.
I agree and disagree at the same time. If I had 7k on the spot and it was insurable I'd buy a faster/better car (and prob still spend another 7k changing the bits i dont like) however buying my car then spending the odd £hundred here and there makes you hardly notice it until the bills come in. The problem I have with modifying is the Max power people, who do things so they can get 'featured in max' :D. I like modifying cars because it means I can get a car that I generally like, then change any bits I dont like

Nissan 350Z
Depends on the car for me, when I had my Fabia vRS I didnt think it was good enough as standard, and wanted to mod it, but in the end, I am not a modder, and I ended up selling it and buying cars which I thought were more up to the job as standard.

I think I am more of a purist than anything else. If a car is a genuinely good car, like the Clio IMO or my last car (Mk2 Golf GTI) then I like to leave them standard, or at least looking standard. Thing is, when my exhaust ends up dying, then I'll probably end up buying a stainless steel one anyway because its cheaper and better quality than the Renault item. And I imagine theres not much difference between after market suspension and Renault standard suspension in price either, so again, it would make more sense to go for the uprated items.

Other than that though, it will remain standard. I'm not sure I see the point in spending thousands trying to eek out 10% more power - I'd rather put that money into a different car because when all is said and done, after the mods you will just get used to them anyway, and TBH the resale value of modded cars is generally lower anyway.

In years to come people will appreciate seeing standard Clio 172 / 182 etc (in fact i can tell a lot of people appreciate seeing standard clean looking Williams and 172 Ph1 for example) and the same will be true of the cars we are all driving now in years to come. For example, I still like to see a nice standard 106 GTI, 306, Saxo VTS etc etc and when I see them with big wheels and chavvy exhausts and the seemingly obligitory lexus clusters, i just think they've spoiled a good car.

All IMHO.

Clio 197
DarthCake said:
I don't **** off modified cars until they get to a certain poinit where they become excessive, ridiculas or just plain sh*t.

For instance, a 182, on coilovers, different light weight alloys, stripped interior, roll cage, buckets, harnesses, is a modified car but its not sh*t and won't get slagged off.

What will get slagged off is a car, big or small engined, which has been customised so much it looks a mess. Large bodykits that don't match the curves of the original car just look gash, exhausts so big you could launch cruise missiles from them, wheels so big it looks like a kids push chair and what I generally find linked to this type of car, is a gobby, sh*tty attitude, poor standard of driving and a blatant pisstake.

Whilst every modified car isn't a shed, its a large majority which are, therefore they have a terrible reputation.

At the end of the day car designers are paid a sh*t load of money to design some of the best cars in the world that meet environmental and safety standards. A few hours sat in front of a CAD programme playing around with the cosmetics of a car is, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.

My 2ps worth.

LMAO!

Kneel said:
I like modifying cars because it means I can get a car that I generally like, then change any bits I dont like

that's my take on modding, its about personalising the car for me, i like to make little changes that i'll notice, and not necessarily anyone else who isn't familiar with the various standard clio models. for instance, last summer i colour matched all the black plastic parts on the exterior of mine: bump strips, grille, wing mirrors, sunroof frame etc, and debadged and colour matched the strip at the bottom of the boot door. Anyone outside of forums like this probably wouldn't even notice it, but i didn't do it to get it noticed, it was because i wanted a fully colour coded exterior. and other little unnoticable things, like replacing the bonnet badge with the newer design (without the grooves), it's there cos i prefer it, but you wouldn't know it wasn't there to start with. and replacing the heater instrument panel for one out of a later model because i prefer the look and feel of the switches. as regards the debadging, i took off the boot stuff because, who needs to know the exact details of my car? i think that any car particularly standard ones straight out of the factory, don't need any badges on them. its irrelevent what size engine/trim/manufacturer/model it is. the marque badge on the front and rear is sufficient, i can see what general model it is from the shape, its like labelling your body parts.

Cliobcx said:
I DO love my car and i DONT care what anyone else thinks. We are all entitled to our own opinions after all. And we'd be sheep if we didnt have them! ;)

never quite understand this

once you tell your insurance about all the stick on crap - i mean EVERYTHING. your insurance would be more than say a 1.6 clio or something anyway. probably touching 172 prices.

modified
sotw140104b.jpg

and modified also

track7.jpg

I know wich I would choose

(borrowed pic, hope you don't mind spammy!!)

Last edited:
Each to their own I think. If we all had the same tastes, we'd all be driving reliant robins, have the same looking houses, same looking gardens, wear the same clothes etc etc.

I like all modified cars and standard cars if they're not ott such as step ladders on the rear window leading upto a stuck on spoiler and the front of the car looking like one of the smash aliens

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
the daddy

track7.jpg

i also hate big japcrap/snowplough bumpers, big bodykits etc, what is the point?, nude an object and watch the filler crack........

like people who put on bigger alloys without lowering... imo if you can afford wheels, you can afford springs. Imo a car lowered on wheel trims/steelies looks better than some poor effort 17's with a 4x4ride height

J

jamesy

i can appreciate a seriously modified and properly done hot hatch or whatever it may be but just aint my cup of tea:D

1.2 16v Dynamique
Modded cars don't really bother me either way, admitted some of the work gone into some is amazing but I persoanlly am not a fan of stupid max power style huge bodykits and wings etc, it's all about the Euro imo, smooth and low....:cool:

Each to their own though and if someone wants to highly mod a car then good luck to them, it would be a boring world if everyone did the same thing...:D