ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why Does Everyone **** Off Modified Cars?

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
My personal take on modifiying is the same rststevo. Think his comments sum up perfectly why you should mod your car. You should change the bits you dont like. Not change parts to impress your mates or to stand out. At the end of the day your the one that spends the time in your car, so you should make it as much of an enjoyable experience for yourself as you can.

Black 172 Sport
gt_gaz said:
like people who put on bigger alloys without lowering... imo if you can afford wheels, you can afford springs. Imo a car lowered on wheel trims/steelies looks better than some poor effort 17's with a 4x4ride height

I keep telling people..................... I'm getting it lowered !!

Mégane RS 225
ClioSport modding guide

Yay

- Turinis (anthracite)
- Silvervisions
- Cup spoiler
- Cup splitter
- Stripped interior
- Engine tuning
- Colour coding
- Lowering

Nay

- Bodykits
- 17" -> rims
- Lexus lights
- Huge stickers

50/50

- Carbon bonnet
- Tints
- Rollgage

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Penelope Pitstop said:
O.k. Not very good pics tho. Resized them on photobucket & being a woman c**ked it up!

DSCN0995.gif

DSCN0996.gif
The colour of your car looks fantastic. :D Reminds me of that V6 colour - Moonshine Blue or something? Does it actually go darker the further towards the rear of the car you look, or is that a trick of the light?

I'd be happy with that. Modified, unique and not in your face. It's also instantly recognisable as a Clio, which in my book is very important. Modify away, as much as you want, but it should always stick true to the original car's appearance.

D.

Iceberg 172
cliobcx: If i'm honest, i dont like the look of your car at all. My reasoning; i think the look of it is that very OTT japanese look. Sure that works well on supras but I think it looks fairly crap on euro hatches. I studied design in the past so the look of a car means alot to me. It doesnt worry me that its a 1.2 underneath but i just think the lines dont suit the car. Thats just me though, i know there are alot of people that go for that look. I dont slate other cars just for being modified but i'm sure you've found that some people struggle to express their opinions constructively, possibly because they are a little slow (IN THE 'ED!) ;)

Last edited:
i think when you get to the age of about 15-17 and you start getting interested in cars and looking forward to getting licence you need a role model,are you going to look up to the old guy in the jag or the young guy in the bodykitted saxo with huge exhaust etc or the guy in the standard looking tuned 2 litre clio?
functional mods are lost on most people when they first pass their test as most don't really understand how a car works.so they know for insurance purposes etc their going to end up with a pretty crap car i.e 1 litre 12v corsa,so is it any wonder people like to try and give them fancy paint jobs big wheels bodykits...?so at about the age of 15-16 they start buying max power/fast car and all they see is cars with all these stick on bits what are they meant to think?
if i see a decent car modified and i don't like it well as long as their happy do i care?the only one's i laugh are one's like the mk3 astra's 5 door rusty as fook big scooby style mud flaps,lexus light,and huge universal backbox maybe some neons and a sunstrip you get the idea.if i had a car like that i would spend the money tidying it up.
i don't blame people for trying to make their cars different but some people take it far to far.they also normally have the big headed opinion their cars better than a standard one.personally i wouldn't want to be brandished a boy racer by doing all of this.
i think everyone who does it like said will grow out of it and probobly look back and laugh at what they did in years to come,but at least they like to try, a lot of things on cars these days have come from modified cars like dark wheels,twin exhausts,splitters etc so it isn't all bad

Clio 172 mk2
Some of these 'modified' cars out there are a f**king hoot and really make you laugh.

I saw a four door Nova yesterday with tinted windows (bubbles included). a nova sunstrip, mismatching door colours and, worst of all an aluminum wing attached to the roof at the rear.

I always question wether these people are doing it for a laugh...I mean who would actually think that kind of s**t looks remotely good!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
tidyclio said:
i think when you get to the age of about 15-17 and you start getting interested in cars and looking forward to getting licence you need a role model,are you going to look up to the old guy in the jag or the young guy in the bodykitted saxo with huge exhaust etc or the guy in the standard looking tuned 2 litre clio?
functional mods are lost on most people when they first pass their test as most don't really understand how a car works.so they know for insurance purposes etc their going to end up with a pretty crap car i.e 1 litre 12v corsa,so is it any wonder people like to try and give them fancy paint jobs big wheels bodykits...?so at about the age of 15-16 they start buying max power/fast car and all they see is cars with all these stick on bits what are they meant to think?
if i see a decent car modified and i don't like it well as long as their happy do i care?the only one's i laugh are one's like the mk3 astra's 5 door rusty as fook big scooby style mud flaps,lexus light,and huge universal backbox maybe some neons and a sunstrip you get the idea.if i had a car like that i would spend the money tidying it up.
i don't blame people for trying to make their cars different but some people take it far to far.they also normally have the big headed opinion their cars better than a standard one.personally i wouldn't want to be brandished a boy racer by doing all of this.
i think everyone who does it like said will grow out of it and probobly look back and laugh at what they did in years to come,but at least they like to try, a lot of things on cars these days have come from modified cars like dark wheels,twin exhausts,splitters etc so it isn't all bad

Very good post there, pal... :)

D.

SLK 350
I hate modified cars, unless they're subtle and performance enhancing.

Everything else, i just point and laugh at. If you spend all that time, effort and money fitting useless chav shite then expect to be laughed at. Why should i not **** off someone's car if i don't like it? ;)

Modified cars tread a fine line...

mk5 VDUB polo
hey, this is my first post so i'll try not to **** off too many people, i'm nice honestly. but put it this way. if you go out your front door dressed smartly, you wont get laughed at, if you walk outside dressed as an utter r****d then you are going to get laughed at! same as if your car is modded in a smart way, a stealthy look, sleek and good looking. as a pose to driving through halfords shop window and coming out the other side looking like a green pearlescent space ship. each to their own but you can't expect people not to laugh if you quite frankly look stupid.

I personally dont like modified cars and Darthcake and Loony have said what I think already.

I agree that it is a young persons thing and they will grow out of it but for me personally performance was always a priority over looks (although all of the standard looking cars I have owned look better then any kitted cars I have seen).

My cars

850 mini
1000 mini
205gti
306xsi
clio182

I would take a crappy 850 mini over a kitted corsa any day.

'Performance' mods are virtually worthless in my book. At the end of the day a proper race driver will whip anybody no matter how good you think you are even if they are in a less powerful vehicle.

The difference 5bhp or 25kg makes is so negligable day to day that the money would be better spent on proper driver training!

I personally see no point in slapping the body kits etc... onto cars. The one that puzzles me the most is the stupid big bore exhausts the people throw onto their 1.2s why?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
chiefsilverback said:
I personally see no point in slapping the body kits etc... onto cars. The one that puzzles me the most is the stupid big bore exhausts the people throw onto their 1.2s why?

Why do people drink? its stupid, has no purpose and only looks/feels good when ur doing it. The end result is its fun but pointless, worthless and less than sensible. same with a big bore exhausts for me anyhow. I dont mind £60 once if it'll put a smile on my face daily, same idea as modding the outside of the car. I dont like things OTT, I prefer subtle and symetrical, again putting a smile on my face. I cant wait to get the money saved to improve my interior, it'll be putting a bigger smile on my face when Im driving around. I fully understand why people dont modify cars. I also understand that financially, modifying cars is insanely stupid, and that a lot of people wont like it. Trust me my prime example was my last car, which I had spent £3k+ and only got £500 back for it inside of a year. The point was when I had it I loved it and I loved it more and more when I'd changed a bit to (imo) look better

Clio 172 mk2
chiefsilverback said:

Because louder always means faster lol