ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why does my 182 keep steaming up ??

Clio 182 cup FF
Has anyone got this problem ?

Within 1 minute of driving my 182, the windows being to steam up. If I put my fans on, hot or cold, this makes it worse. If I put the air con on however, that sorts it !!! But for obvs reasons I don't want to
drive around with my air con on frequently. It wasn't even wet outside today and it was happening ???

One member of the admin team on here suggested it could be my passenger footwell, but that's bone
dry ? As is everywhere else.

One of my mates said it could be the air or pollen Filter, could that be the cause ?

Has anyone had this problem or have any other suggestions about what it could be ?

I originally thought it could be door seals, but they look/feel fine. And it doesn't even have to be wet
Outside in order for it to steam up !!!

Please help. This is so annoying !!!!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine steams up alot , always has done from new , so did my 172 . I always have my heater set on demist , permanently . Having the air con on and using fuel is a bit of myth in my opinion , maybe back in the day when having air con was a luxury yeah , but nowadays it's alot more efficient . If it's a cold car and a warm body gets in it will steam up , it stands to reason as the warm air on a cold surface will condense .

Clio 182 cup FF
Haven't checked pollen filter. I'm a complete novice if I'm being
Honest, so what am I even looking for ? Will it be obvious if it needs replacing ?

It was just serviced this week and air filter replaced. But not the pollen filter. I will have a look.

I have read that it could be a possible blockage in the drain duct, which is causing the moisture to enter through the fans. Which could explain why it gets worse with the fans on ? Can anyone explain where o look ? Like I said, I'm a complete novice. Thanks for the replies guys

2014 Clio 200t edc
I get this too , and if it's any help, I just took my pollen filter out, (piece of p15s to do btw) and its black!!

Accord 2.4
Try cleaning windows too, when i 1st got my 172 they kept misting up. I cleaned all the windows and applied some RainX anti-fog and its has cured the problem :)

Clio mk2 172
I had this problem with my works van so I left the windows open all day on a nice sunny dry day to let it dry out and it's worked a treat!

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I had this once in a car of mine to. Went through a " arc " wash. Pulled off and all the water came in from back of dash onto the passengers footwell. Was a blacked water well. Unblocked that and put some of those little sachet bags in the car which you get in the boxes of new shoes trainers etc, sorted it right out lol..

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
put a few of them silica pouches that come in shoe boxes around the car, that should get rid of some moisture until you manage to get to the cause of the problem

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just use the air con.

You cannot fight condensation, especially with damp or cold conditions.

White clique
i get this and have had it with pretty much every car, the minute you get a few drops of water in the car from a wet coat or if you've opened the doors / windows and water has got in = game over.

I just open all the windows for a few seconds and it clears it, job down.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just use the air con.

You cannot fight condensation, especially with damp or cold conditions.

+1 . I've had this issue in both my 182 and 172 from new . They steam up , end of . Thats what the demister button is there for .

My 1.2 seems to do this too? although i think it may be something to do with the sun roof.

going by the other replies I think its something clio owners just have to deal with lol

Ph1
Get one of those Clio heated front windscreens ;)

I get bad condensation after having a new front screen fitted. Must not be sealed right

Mk3 dCi 88
I have a leak that I need to track down that is currently leaving the passenger's footwell damp after heavy rain - this is causing misting up that wasn't happening before.

Got a leak somewhere?

Sorry, just re-read your post and see you've checked everywhere for dampness my bad.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 cup FF
Cheers for the response guys.

The problem is I dont want to drive around with my air con on all day. I shouldn't have to. I understand what people are saying, it's simple stuff, if your windows are colder than the temperature in the car, and there's moisture, this will cause the water to evaporate and in turn condensate on the cold window.

My issue is, my windows steam up more a less straight away, whether its raining or not. So I must have an internal
Issue. Hence, why I am asking all the knowledgable people on here for advice. Cars are designed now a days to be water tight, and I'm not providing the moisture to evaporate, so I'm just trying to find out where it's coming from. Lol.

As you can tell, this issue is starting to wind me up. But from everyone's response, I reason it'll be my pollen filter. Will
Change it today.

Clio 182 cup FF
+1 . I've had this issue in both my 182 and 172 from new . They steam up , end of . Thats what the demister button is there for .

Don't like to disagree with people but you're wrong. Cars shouldn't steam up for no reason. Don't get me wrong, if I was getting in my car with soaking wet clothes etc, that I understand. But it shouldn't steam up every single journey.
There's clearly a problem. Cars are supposed to be water tight. My 182 has only just started doing it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Don't like to disagree with people but you're wrong. Cars shouldn't steam up for no reason. Don't get me wrong, if I was getting in my car with soaking wet clothes etc, that I understand. But it shouldn't steam up every single journey.
There's clearly a problem. Cars are supposed to be water tight. My 182 has only just started doing it.

Mine steams up all the time , like i said . Has done from new and my 172 did as well . Obviously there's got to be moisture either trapped in the car already or your introducing it each time you get in the car . Have you lifted the back seats and looked under there . That used to be quite a common place for water to lodge . Mine steams up worse if i've just had a shower , come out of a warm house then jumped in it late at night to go to work when it's cold . Thats an obvious one though as it's warm air meeting a cold windscreen which will always steam up . Like i said , check under the back seats see if theres a pool of water there .

Does it clear when you have the demister / air con on ? I'm gonna go out soon , it's freezing outside here so the windscreens obviously very cold . I'll see if mine steams up with no demister on even though i know my car is bone dry inside .

Last edited:
  Clio 182 cup FF
Only the air con clears it.

Thanks for the advice about the back seats, ill have a look. Im just hoping its the pollen filter.

Like you said, moisture must be getting in some how, its just finding out where.

Cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just been out in mine no heater on at all . The front windscreen and drivers side window steamed up . Not bad enough that i couldn't see through it but there was moisture on the glass when i wiped it with my finger . And like i said before mines bone dry inside . I put the demister / air con on and it cleared in seconds . Like i said before , it's normal if you get a warm body and warm breath in a cold car you'll always get some condensation on a cold surface . I'm not saying you haven't got issues such as water inside your car somewhere , you might have and you need to check it out then you can eliminate that from the cause of your problem .

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It's just the nature of clio b's they all do it. I had a 1.2 without a/c, bloody nightmare.

It's not like we have damp cold conditions all the time. Just use the ac or get something from halfords to coat or clear the windows with.

Now Sold :-(
my focus never has this problem the clio does it though i like my car warm so never use ac

You can still have the car warm with the A/C on.
It's what Air Conditioning was invented for. It was installed into luxury cars to cure the steamed up windows issue.
The fact it can also be used to cool the interior when it's hot is a happy side effect.

FF Racing Blue 182
You can still have the car warm with the A/C on.
It's what Air Conditioning was invented for. It was installed into luxury cars to cure the steamed up windows issue.
The fact it can also be used to cool the interior when it's hot is a happy side effect.

thanks for the info.....guess what ill be trying today