ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why you really should clean your leather...

BMW E46 330i Touring
... if you haven't done so since owning your car.

Not sure why, but figured I'd crack out the Gliptone on my front seats, steering wheel and gear knob this evening. I imagine they haven't been cleaned since new and the water afterwards showed:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343078861.932264.jpg

No pics of the seats, they're matt black after all, but you know those shiny leather steering wheels? Yeah, they aren't meant to shine!

No before's but trust me when I say it's completely transformed now:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343078933.584525.jpg

Really quite horrible to think of what grime made up the shininess over the last 9 years...

It's just another common misconception of car cleaning - it's easier to wear down if it is shiny!

The half leather seats in the Clio's feel amazing after a clean and condition.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cleaning leather is awesome. The TT ones were actually very Matte but still lots of dirt came off.

Dr leather wipes are very good for keeping them clean. Simple fairy up liquid heavily diluted and nice soft brush and some MF's clean just aswell by the way. Most leather cleaners are just light shampoos/apc's.

Not a 320d
Dont take my advice - I have no sympathy for leather in cars, seeing as its not real leather.

But yes thats fine, even stronger would be ok. Use it with hot water and itll be a degreaser too......

Spray, scrub, wipe. Done.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You should use conditioners. GT do L1, that's the only thing i'd use after cleaning even then it's best to use nothing.

G101 is good but just be careful, try on the underside incase it removes the colouring of the leather.

BMW E46 330i Touring
You should use conditioners. GT do L1, that's the only thing i'd use after cleaning even then it's best to use nothing.

G101 is good but just be careful, try on the underside incase it removes the colouring of the leather.

The Dr Leather guy over on DW insists that modern leather doesn't need conditioning as it's sealed anyway? Not true?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fact mate. Conditioning is pretty much BS these days, the whole thing originated with old Leather. Weeman knows so much about leather, shame he doesn't post much anymore.

Forget the conditioners mate. The Gliptone twins work very well together but the conditioner isn't require, keeping it clean is way more important than any "feeding" nonsense.

L1 leather guard protects against stains and liquids etc. :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cool. I've got the conditioner but haven't used it more than once or twice, and that's on my leather sofa which is abused daily!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It can restore some colour though, my mum's leather couched really good after using he twins but again it gets a lot more use than a car. It's more likely to add to the cracking of leather by trapping dirt and oil etc.

If you're regularly cleaning it isn't as big a deal clearly.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cleaning leather is awesome. The TT ones were actually very Matte but still lots of dirt came off.

Dr leather wipes are very good for keeping them clean. Simple fairy up liquid heavily diluted and nice soft brush and some MF's clean just aswell by the way. Most leather cleaners are just light shampoos/apc's.

HAHA!!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My rear seats in the 172 look dull and matte, i always try and make them shiny cause it looks better imo.

Guess the front seats must be filthy seeing as they're pretty shiny!

Cleaning time tomorrow then!!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I used tfr on myne once, no joke. They came out so fricking nice, no shine just a nice factory fresh finish. Felt so good to sit in aswell.

Fact mate. Conditioning is pretty much BS these days, the whole thing originated with old Leather. Weeman knows so much about leather, shame he doesn't post much anymore.

Forget the conditioners mate. The Gliptone twins work very well together but the conditioner isn't require, keeping it clean is way more important than any "feeding" nonsense.

L1 leather guard protects against stains and liquids etc. :)

L1 didn't add anything for me, but Treat seemed to make the leather have such a nice texture compared to freshly clean, maybe a placebo?

Sorry Chappers, what did you mean by 'another misconception'? Am I wide of the mark?

I just meant it's another thing that 'average' people don't know about, like the damage using a sponge with one bucket can cause or leaving bird muck on a car that can go through clear coat etc.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Fairy up liquid is kinda retarded mate.

Surely its either Fairy liquid or washing up liquid? lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Could someone link me to the stuff used? I just keep hearing random names.

Google the products, Rollo. Usually brings up a price comparison as well. Or look on the usual sites.

FYI the armourall wipes are also good enough for top up cleans. Available from Halfrauds.

120d M Sport
Kevin is a fairy.

I love it when horrible shiny tacky looking leather goes matte after a clean. I use autoglym leather cleaner, that's probably horridly unfashionable in the detailing game now!

H.Maxim

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FF
Did my rear seats with the Gliptone today. Night and day difference, literally, in terms of the shininess.