ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wierd CAT5 Cable ??!!

Shed.
So yer i hooked my 360 up to my router the other week, only i used a cable which i had spare from my old router. Was a cat5 with rj45's but instead of having all 8 wires touching the metal pins on the end of the connector, there were only 3. Ive since replaced it with a straight through i made at college and now its working miles faster, i dont actually have to wait for movies to load anymore lol.

What was it ??

BMW M135i
Dunno but i'll guess it was running in 10mbps? You only need 4 cores for 100mbps, all 8 for gigabit though iirc.

Shed.
Yeah it was s**t slow so im guessing it was.

Yeah the wires were arranged in a crossover format. Wasnt aware you could get a cable like it though.

172 cup
Used to use a crossover to connect my pc with the neighbours so we could lan games. drilled a hole through the wall and ran a cable.. before the times of cheap and plentyful wireless.. doom, quake and custom maps ftw.. oh the memories.

Shed.
I hate wireless, if i didnt live away from everyone else id wire everything in the house. I dont even bother putting security on it because it's that easy to get through now.

BMW M135i
Crossover cables are for connecting two computers without a hub/switch and for uplink on (generally older afaik) non autosensing switches/hubs.

Shed.
I know. But at the end of the day it still communicated, very slowly.

My point was id not seen a cable with only 3 wires.