ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wierd noise 1.2 16v

On my girlfriend's 1.2 16v, it has started rattling when you start it up, and it rattles when you rev it. Sounds like a heatshield kind of rattle coming from under the car I think.

There is also another noise, but I'm not sure whether it's normal. When you blip the throttle ever so slightly, before it revs, there is a quite loud noise, like air being sucked in. Now I know this sounds normal, but it's quite loud, and is coming from the top of the engine, and we've never heard it before, but she started hearing it a few days ago. There's also a clunk associated with the sucking noise.

Does this sound normal, or a problem? Could the rattling be related?

Da

Less
Yes, both could be a knackered engine mount. The heatshield could be the one behind the manifold, worked loose by the mount.
As for the sucking noise, check all breather hoses are still present and correct :)

Well I think I have found the rattle when it starts up. There's a bracket on top of the ecu which sits around the top left hand plug that is loose and moves about, so I will have to see whether it's broke or tightened up.

Have no idea about the hoses are, will look somewhen.

Now, the engine mounts, when I rock the engine on the black plastic manifold looking part, the engine moves back and forth a few cm, and there is a slight clicking. The left hand mount seems to move back and forth, and the clicking sound seems to come from the right hand mount (under the battery). Are these cheap to replace?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I was just going to say check the sercuity bracket at the back bin it is my solution as they chaff the wiring.

mmmm...i think iv got the same problem, sometimes when i accelerate the car makes an awful rattle

sounds as its coming from the rear, i can only compare it to the sound of the parcel shelf rattling (but its not)

my solution= turn music up

Clio 1.2 16V
Could be anything mate, i noticed on mine when i was messing with revs with the bonnet open that if you quickly throttle but only a little you can hear a whoosh noise, get someone to stand outside and see if they can hear it otherwise it could be anything.

My sunroof and steering wheel covers still rattle when driving drives me nuts. Like posted though if you can't figure it out turn the music up. ;)

Could be anything mate, i noticed on mine when i was messing with revs with the bonnet open that if you quickly throttle but only a little you can hear a whoosh noise, get someone to stand outside and see if they can hear it otherwise it could be anything.

Yep that's the noise. The girlfriend took it to Renault earlier and they said "it's taking in air" (in her words) and they have booked it in for tomorrow. They said it could be because she had the water pump replaced?!?! :S

It's a really loud "whoosh" noise from the top end of the engine near where the air intake enters.

I will take the ecu bracket off tonight so they don't try and replace that.