ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WIFI range extender.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What I want to do is get something that connects to a wifi source, then sends out it's own wifi so we can all connect to it. As the orginal one only allows 3 mac addresses to connect, does such a thing exist?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's like £65++

Seen ones i think do the job on ebay for like £20

SQ5
With stuff like this though it's only £40 extra and it will work and work well, I warrant that!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah i agree, but for what it's going to be used for cheap is fine.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just bumping this up, as now need another one, anyone got any experience with any?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I use a Netgear WGT624 which I bought off eBay years ago as a reconditioned unit (cheap) and has always worked faultlessly.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I use a Netgear WGT624 which I bought off eBay years ago as a reconditioned unit (cheap) and has always worked faultlessly.

Thats not what i'm after though, want something that picks up a wireless signal, then re transmits it.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i know but you can just use this and eliminate the need for an extender.
My house is 4 small floors and covers the whole house easy.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don't have access to the router that the wifi is originating from, so it's not an option.

I can just pick up the free wifi that's coming from another building, and want to pikey it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's not stealing, it's free, just I'm out of range lol.

I'm just on the edge of the signal, so don't think something that small would actually pick it up.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
If youre on the edge of the signal and its poor, its going to just extend that poor signal. Youd need to get a powerful wifi extender and put it beside where the WiFi transmits from. Usually, this isnt practical.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah, that's fine, just I've bought one, and then found out they are just range boosters, and need to be plugged into the ethernet port on the router, which is completely not what i want.

I can't get it closer unless it was so hover between two buildings lol.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I see. If youre extending the wifi and its limited to still 3 MAC addresses, it still wont let you on.

You looked at Homeplug wifi extenders? They'll extend the wifi but youll need to acess the router to connect them up.

Be easier to spoof the MAC address of one of the devices tbh ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok ignore the 3 mac addresses, it's now just and open router with no password.

100% can't access the router.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't have access to router ( I don't even know where it is)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Don't have access to router ( I don't even know where it is)

If the WiFi SSID you're connecting to in your house is rubbish and you don't have access to the router itself, you'll just be extending the crap signal even further which is pointless. Only real way to boost the signal and make it stronger, is get a nice powerful WiFi booster and plug it into the router that's dishing out the signal, then you'll be boosting a nice strong signal even further with a specific device.

We have this TP-Link works a charm it does need the wifi password (you go through a setup wizard on a computer to connect it) choose the ssid then put the pass in but if its free it should be fine once you've done that you can move it where ever you need boost. Within reason.

Cost around 35-40?

null_zpsfcfe0af0.jpg

null_zps5ea8c5bf.jpg

I need something similar to this. Tried about 4 different routers and with none of them will the wifi signal reach our lounge. Fine everywhere else in the house just this one room. Would I wireless range extender solve this? Does it matter where it is located? Closer to the original router the better?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I need something similar to this. Tried about 4 different routers and with none of them will the wifi signal reach our lounge. Fine everywhere else in the house just this one room. Would I wireless range extender solve this? Does it matter where it is located? Closer to the original router the better?

Yes, closer to the router so it can amplify the original signal. Id personally use homeplug extenders in homes :)

A.N. Other
Apart from the fact that stealing somebody else's wifi without permission (implicit or implied, i.e. using it while at a cafe), is against the law - i'm fairly certain that the MAC address client filter will still stop you being able to use their network.